Sonos multiroom sound sync and ZP90 volumes

mrm3

Sorry a quick couple of questions.

Q1. If you have a ZP120 and ZP90 that goes through an amp how does it keep the music in sync ? Surely the other amp causes some lag and therefore the sound is out of sync.

Q2. If it goes through an amp how can you still control the volume on a ZP90 from a controller or the iphone app?

Thanks

Nelbert

Standard Member
Q1. I have an 80 and 100 which are connected via wireless in rooms beside each other. When the zones are linked there is no lag between them when stood in the doorway, but I do send the 80 into the amp as a pure direct source and don't process the signal at all.

Q2. If it's on a digital connection you can't. It's a fixed volume device so you need to control the amp volume. If it's on a stereo rca connection into the amp, you can set the volume to variable and the controller/iphone will control the signal being fed into the amp.

Hope that helps.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Q2. If it's on a digital connection you can't. It's a fixed volume device so you need to control the amp volume. If it's on a stereo rca connection into the amp, you can set the volume to variable and the controller/iphone will control the signal being fed into the amp.
That's incorrect, both the analogue and digital outputs on the Zoneplayers can be set to 'Fixed' or 'Variable'.

Last edited:

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Q2. If it goes through an amp how can you still control the volume on a ZP90 from a controller or the iphone app?
You would set you amplifier volume at a reasonably high level and then do any further adjustments on the Sonos volume control, this will allow you to vary the volume from zero up to the highest level that the amp is already set at.

There are quite a few amps on the market that have the ability to bypass the volume control on one or more inputs for when you are connecting source deivces that have a variable output such as the Sonos Zoneplayers.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As Crusty says operating a mix of ZP120 and ZP90 (set to variable out) is fine.

When you have a bunch of Zones linked to listen to a single source you can do a global volume change or adjust each zone individually using the CR100 or Apple App.

Joe

Nelbert

Standard Member
That's incorrect, both the analogue and digital outputs on the Zoneplayers can be set to 'Fixed' or 'Variable'.
My mistake, the one I have on digital output needs to be on fixed and has been since I got it as I stream DTS music through it. Using variable causes havoc with the DTS stream as the ZP doesn't understand it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom