SONOS Move owners: Your opinions please!

kipper15

Any SONOS Move owners on this forum?

I'm looking to get one of these for my niece, her 30th birthday is coming up. It would be a joint gift from me and a couple of other family members.

Keen to know what any forum members who own one think of it? I've read reviews and watched some YouTube videos but keen to know what owners think of what it sounds like for real - you can never really tell from YouTube videos of course.

My niece is on my Tidal Hi-Fi family subscription but doesn't have an external speaker at the moment that can be used to stream Tidal Hi-Fi over wi-fi. She currently streams Tidal to headphones from her mobile or laptop.

She would like to be able to move a speaker around different rooms in her flat without having to unplug it each time, and not compromise on sound quality, so I think the SONOS Move will be ideal. It also has Alexa built-in, and she as an avid Amazon Echo Dot owner already anything I buy must really have Alexa support (or have it built-in, as is the case with the SONOS Move).

I had considered and researched other options but I think, given that she wants portability, and be able to stream Tidal Hi-Fi with it (along with the all-important Alexa support) I think this would be a good very choice. In fact, I think it would be ideal. Something pretty durable too, as she has young children running about the place! And the added bonus of being able to take it away with her and stream through Bluetooth if no wi-fi is available.

I have never owned any SONOS products myself but I know people that have done or currently do - but nobody I know has ever owned a SONOS Move. So thought I'd ask on here to see if any owners would like to share their opinion of it...

Woodymogs

I've had a Move for around 4 months and am very impressed. It replaced a Sonos 5 (1st Gen) in my kitchen and I wanted something that I could continue to use in the kitchen and move into the garden during the summer. The sound quality, to my ears, is almost as good as the 5 which it replaced. I have 2 newer Sonos 5s in the living room and the only real noticable difference between these and the Move are better bass and stereo separation - not surprising given the 5s are configured as a stereo pair. A nice aspect of the Move is the auto True Play tuning that kicks in whenever the Move has been relocated; it takes a few seconds and 'tunes' the sound to the new placing which I found is actually quite good at maintaining a nice, balanced sound. I haven't tried this outdoors yet as the summer was ending when I made the purchase.

The disadvantage with the Move is the size and weight of the unit. It's not lightest portable speaker nor the most compact. I've got no problem picking it up and moving it around the house but I wouldn't even consider, say, packing it into a suitcase!

It spends most of the time in the kitchen and on the odd occassion when it's been splashed with liquids or food these have wiped off easily with a damp cloth but I've never dropped or knocked it.

I'd recommend the Move and am very happy with it. If you've not heard one you should try to do so to see if the sound suits you/your niece's needs. I can't imagine the sound would disappoint but everyone has their own (hi-fi) expectations. Hope this is of some help but please feel free to ask anything else that may be of use.

kipper15

I've had a Move for around 4 months and am very impressed. It replaced a Sonos 5 (1st Gen) in my kitchen and I wanted something that I could continue to use in the kitchen and move into the garden during the summer. The sound quality, to my ears, is almost as good as the 5 which it replaced. I have 2 newer Sonos 5s in the living room and the only real noticable difference between these and the Move are better bass and stereo separation - not surprising given the 5s are configured as a stereo pair. A nice aspect of the Move is the auto True Play tuning that kicks in whenever the Move has been relocated; it takes a few seconds and 'tunes' the sound to the new placing which I found is actually quite good at maintaining a nice, balanced sound. I haven't tried this outdoors yet as the summer was ending when I made the purchase.

The disadvantage with the Move is the size and weight of the unit. It's not lightest portable speaker nor the most compact. I've got no problem picking it up and moving it around the house but I wouldn't even consider, say, packing it into a suitcase!

It spends most of the time in the kitchen and on the odd occassion when it's been splashed with liquids or food these have wiped off easily with a damp cloth but I've never dropped or knocked it.

I'd recommend the Move and am very happy with it. If you've not heard one you should try to do so to see if the sound suits you/your niece's needs. I can't imagine the sound would disappoint but everyone has their own (hi-fi) expectations. Hope this is of some help but please feel free to ask anything else that may be of use.

Thank you for the time you've taken there to write such a detailed post. It's very much appreciated and very helpful. I will see if I can get to hear one for myself in due course.

kipper15

Have you thought about a mega boom?

Ultimate Ears MEGABOOM 3 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Powerful Sound + Thundering Bass, Bluetooth, Magic Button, Waterproof, Battery 20 hours, Range 45 m) - Night Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G6MYMKD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7welEbG8FJFQR

I got one for the garden and it sounds half decent. Used with Spotify connect, not sure re tidal

I had looked at the Ultimate Ears MEGABLAST, which has wi-fi and Alexa built-in. But the UE app doesn't have Tidal integration, unfortunately...

kipper15

A couple of questions that have come to mind about the SONOS Move.

How long does it take to fully charge the battery? And how do you know when it's fully charged?

I looked in the pdf user guide but it just mentions the battery light on the front, but no other information. I would guess maybe it flashes or is red while charging? And then turns green when fully charged?

Woodymogs

A couple of questions that have come to mind about the SONOS Move.

How long does it take to fully charge the battery? And how do you know when it's fully charged?

I looked in the pdf user guide but it just mentions the battery light on the front, but no other information. I would guess maybe it flashes or is red while charging? And then turns green when fully charged?

It takes a couple of hours to fully charge and when the battery level is low, the front battery LEDs flash amber; when using the app to control the Move the battery level is always displayed. Most of the time mine sits in the charger (this is bound to change when the summer arrives - hopefully :))

kipper15

It takes a couple of hours to fully charge and when the battery level is low, the front battery LEDs flash amber; when using the app to control the Move the battery level is always displayed. Most of the time mine sits in the charger (this is bound to change when the summer arrives - hopefully :))

OK, that all makes sense. But when it's charging in the cradle what does the battery light on the unit show? Does a green (or other colour, not amber obviously!) light show while it is charging and then goes off when full charge is reached?

Woodymogs

I don't think it actually shows anything while it's charging, though I'm not 100% sure as mine has spent most of it's time in the cradle.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom