Sonos Lip Sync Issues

danwel

Established Member
Reaction score
My current set up is the Xiaomi UST 4K Projector (Chineese Version) along with Apple tv 4K (not the very latest one but previous one) and for sound I use the Sonos Playbase and 2 Play 1's.

For watching i use the apple tv to stream everything from Netflix and also use the Plex app. I seem to have issues with the lip sync but it isn't all the time and sometimes it is a lot worse than others, I think it is actually at its worst when i use the blu ray player, in that i can notice it more when using it.

I've tried the Sonos app to alter the delay but that makes it worse, as in if i alter the delay it is further out of sync but there is no option to go the other way lol. It's been a while since i tried again but when i use the airplay option the sound seems better and louder but has at times also made the lip sync worse too.

Just wondered if there is anything i can try and do to help as i am desperate for a sub but don't want to commit to the expense if i am going to end up going down a different route and getting rid of the Sonos to fix my lip sync issues ?

Any help would be good, cheers

I think you will need to see what the encoding is as I suspect the delay on some will most likely be down to the different quality types of audio

One thing is you could have an issue with a device in the system, I had a SkyHD box which used to fluctuate and when I changed it, the problem went away, so it could also be. It was particularly poor when watching paused live TV where it was impossible to resolve

Are you passing the audio via the Projector?

Is the audio ahead of or behind the video?

Joe

Are you passing the audio via the Projector?

Is the audio ahead of or behind the video?

Joe
Yes the audio is from the projector to the playbase

The audio is behind as i can see the mouth moving and the words then following slightly behind.

I think you will need to see what the encoding is as I suspect the delay on some will most likely be down to the different quality types of audio

One thing is you could have an issue with a device in the system, I had a SkyHD box which used to fluctuate and when I changed it, the problem went away, so it could also be. It was particularly poor when watching paused live TV where it was impossible to resolve
It is definitely worse with the blu ray player and you could be right about the encoding as some programmes are worse than others

Yes the audio is from the projector to the playbase

The audio is behind as i can see the mouth moving and the words then following slightly behind.
@Joe Fernand will be pointing you in the right direction as it will be the processing from the projector that will be adding the extra delay due to the conversion.

What sound system are you using so we can see if there is an alternative suggestion to help you resolve the lip-sync issues

@Joe Fernand will be pointing you in the right direction as it will be the processing from the projector that will be adding the extra delay due to the conversion.

What sound system are you using so we can see if there is an alternative suggestion to help you resolve the lip-sync issues
I have Sonos playbase and play 1's. The sound is by optical lead from projector to playbase

A low cost option to try and resolve this would be an HDMI to HDMI+Optical splitter and not put the audio via the Projector - so Source HDMI > HDMI+Optical Splitter then HDMI to Projector and Optical to Playbase.

Joe

A low cost option to try and resolve this would be an HDMI to HDMI+Optical splitter and not put the audio via the Projector - so Source HDMI > HDMI+Optical Splitter then HDMI to Projector and Optical to Playbase.

Joe
Thanks, i will have a look for one and see how it go.

Not sure if this makes a difference but i have 3 HDMI going in, Apple TV, XBOX and Blu ray. Will i then lose audio for the other two at the same time ?

Look for a three, or more, Input HDMI Switch with HDMI + Optical Output.

Ensure the Switch caters for all of the video formats you wish to support 4K UHD with HDR…

Joe

Look for a three, or more, Input HDMI Switch with HDMI + Optical Output.

Ensure the Switch caters for all of the video formats you wish to support 4K UHD with HDR…

Joe
Great stuff, thanks for that I’ll have a look on Amazon now

I'd look for something which supports 4K UHD (2160p) with HDR at 60Hz/50Hz/24p and HDCP 2.2.

The device you link to is really an HD (1080p) device with very limited UHD support.

Joe

Last edited:
I'd look for something which supports 4K UHD (2160p) with HDR at 60Hz/50Hz/24p and HDCP 2.2.

The device you link to is really an HD (1080p) device with very limited UHD support.

Joe
Thanks, back to the drawing boards now I’m armed with a bit more info lol

Are either of these any good for what I need ??

TESmart HDMI Switch 4K 60Hz HDMI Switcher HDR 4 In 1 Out HDMI Splitter with IR Remote Contral&2.0/5.1 Audio Output Support Full HD1080P 3D Dolby Vision for Xbox One,PS4/PS3,Sky Smart TV Amazon product ASIN B07PGY2DWV
Unocho HDMI Matrix 4 in 2 out HDMI Switch Splitter Support HDCP 2.2 IR Remote Control HDMI Switch 4x2 Spdif 4K HDMI 4x2 Matrix Switch Amazon product ASIN B085HKYYQ2

Well I plumped for TESmart one and just had a quick test and oh my days !! I feel like my system has just come to life and I’ve been missing out for the last couple of years !!!
The sound is like night and day !!
Juts off to watch some stuff to give it a proper test

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom