Question Sonos home cinema or Denon unit and speakers

Yellowduck

Standard Member
any advice as to whether as someone without experience in HC, would I be better going for a straightforward Sonos 5.1 set up at about £1700 or a Denon unit and 5 wired speakers.

The Sonos is convenient as it is wireless, but as replastering all walls, it would bee fairly easy to run cables for speakers.

Is there likely to be a huge difference in a 5.1 or 7.1 system, or even an Atmos setup 5.1.2?

We only have a small rectangle room 3.5m x 4.5m, and will have a 65’’ (probably Samsung) TV in the middle of the 4.5m wall.

Sorry my knowledge is basically non existent, but any thoughts appreciated.

xxGBHxx

Cables are far more flexible but they can be an eyesore. If you don't have WAF to consider then for me it's cables all the way.

There is a difference between 5.1, 7.1 and Atmos but it depends a lot on your listening position, source material, listening level etc. You can get some fantastic sounding 5.1 systems but if you've got the room, no WAF worries and can position the speakers properly then go Atmos. There is always going to be a bit of a compromise as buying 9 speakers means you can spend half as much per speaker but that's the balance you make.

G

curvature

Having had both I feel I can offer some valid comments on this.

My first system was an Arcam 5.1 Amp with Monitor Audio Silver and Radius speakers. I now have a Sonos system with Playbar, Sub and 2 x Play 1's for the rear.

The Sonos system is good but not as good as the Arcam system was but with Sonos it works out of the box and everybody in the family can use it.

Musically the Arcam system was better and remember that Sonos does not support all multichannel formats.

I like my Sonos system but still have a Linn/Naim setup for my vinyl using my old Monitor Audio floor standers that I kept.

Sonos is convenient so we have a Play 5 in the kitchen, the kids have Play 1's each and I now have a Play 1 in the garage.

My advice would be to make a list of what you want it for and also go and demo the systems. For me, we watch a limited amount of films so true 5.1/Atmos or whatever the latest is isn't the dealbreaker that it might be for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom