Sonos evacuee - where would you go.

blowfish122

Novice Member
Hi experts!
Right then, need some advice please!

i currently have 4 Sonos 1’s (the ones that do not sync with apple. Use them with Spotify. I really wish never brought them ! :( have to use Sonos net , had so many issues with them dropping off network.
I listen to music via Spotify and Sonos radio. Mostly 6music.
Don’t really play cd’s or vinyl to be a consideration.

Just moved into new house and want to get new system.

I’ve got a Nad amp and audio monitor bronze speakers also about 20 yrs old. Speaker still sound great.

So what I want is a decent system in lounge to listen to music. And then ability to stream less quality music into other rooms like kitchen , office bedrooms etc.

budget for lounge say £1-2k. Thinking streamer and speakers, but maybe B2’s could do? Also considered Kefs as wife not keen on cables! Hesitate as not sure I want to tie into a system with no upgrades.

What would you people suggest? and also for a streaming option around the house if I ditched the Sonos which would happily do. What’s the point of wireless speakers you have to cable to Router?!

thanks for any and all advice!

and a final thought...maybe could use two Sonos and soundbar in lounge also for TV? Don’t watch a lot so not to fussed on spending lot for that.

blowfish122

Novice Member
Hi experts!
Right then, need some advice please!

i currently have 4 Sonos 1’s (the ones that do not sync with apple. Use them with Spotify. I really wish never brought them ! :( have to use Sonos net , had so many issues with them dropping off network.
I listen to music via Spotify and Sonos radio. Mostly 6music.
Don’t really play cd’s or vinyl to be a consideration.

Just moved into new house and want to get new system.

I’ve got a Nad amp and audio monitor bronze speakers also about 20 yrs old. Speaker still sound great.

So what I want is a decent system in lounge to listen to music. And then ability to stream less quality music into other rooms like kitchen , office bedrooms etc.

budget for lounge say £1-2k. Thinking streamer and speakers, but maybe B2’s could do? Also considered Kefs as wife not keen on cables! Hesitate as not sure I want to tie into a system with no upgrades.

What would you people suggest? and also for a streaming option around the house if I ditched the Sonos which would happily do. What’s the point of wireless speakers you have to cable to Router?!

thanks for any and all advice!

and a final thought...maybe could use two Sonos and soundbar in lounge also for TV? Don’t watch a lot so not to fussed on spending lot for that.
Also lounge is 3.6 x3.6

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Personally i am considering dropping Sonos in favour of Bluesound. Similar options and combos to Sonos, but better sound quality.

There system is also open, o other manufacturers are adopting it, specifically Monitor Audio, NAD and a coupe of others

T1berious

I've gone for a mixture of Bluesound and Raspberry PI's running PiCorePlayer. Both massive improvements on the Sonos systems I had previously and support all the formats I play (MQA, Hi Res, you name it). Plus I find not having to run an update every five minutes refreshing.

As a bonus all the nodes show up on Spotify so Spotify is my management interface.

A couple things that come to mind:

The only real way to know whether your Monitor Bronze speakers will do the job for you is to test them against some new ones. I suspect they will be absolutely fine and a big step up from Sonos (which, in my opinion, are pretty decent for what they are).

Secondly, it would be worth ensuring you've got a good-quality source. If you're using the free Spotify, it'll be limited to 160kbps, which will not do justice to a decent hifi setup.

Matt

mrm3

Hi
Do not use Sonos net... use your wifi network. Works much better if you have good network/wifi in your locations.

blowfish122

Novice Member
Thanks for the answers and suggestions. I've gone for a Boss 2 player for £150. Looks very interesting for the price. Will be using Sonos for rest of house audio. Re using sonos on a wifi network, no chance. I had nothing but drop outs, having to search again for the system, speakers not be displayed when using it over wifi. And its not my wifi. I have worked with networks for over 20years, so confident on that. Since using sonos net, it is at least stable, if wired at one point.

andybebbs

yamaha music cast might be worth a look as i know they do wireless speakers that connect to music cast. I have a cd player with it on and it works fine on the music cast app.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom