Sonos Eco-system, Two Play 5's or Port with amp/speakers?

ChrisGTL

I'm moving house soon and getting all the geek stuff sorted for when move in.

I really enjoy my Sonos One in the kitchen as it just works and ticks so many boxes. I have Amazon Music sub, I host my own Plex and I can add online radio stations that aren't listed via the Windows app.

I know the sound isn't the best but its good for £200 IMO. It's so practical! I can even move it outside in the summer and have music in the garden.

I would like a 2-channel system when I move, alongside the Sonos One in the kitchen.

I was so close to buying 2 x Play 5's and using them in stereo but when I went over to Curry's for a look I was put off by the aesthetics - I thought the front was going to be fabric (not sure why I thought that when the One is the same construction).

Anyhow, I'm having a rethink now. Maybe I should buy the Sonos Port and then add a 2 channel amp and 2 bookshelf speakers so I can expand the Sonos Eco-system.

Does anyone have a similar story? Does anyone with extensive experience of the Sonos Port have any views of the Port? Any limitations? Any annoyances?

Right now I'm thinking Sonos Port, Marantz 6007 amp and 2 bookshelf speakers. Maybe KEF's....not sure. I presume this would blow 2 x Play 5's out of the water in terms of pure sound.

acgingersnaps

Hi. I have a pair of Sonos 3 in the kitchen, a pair of Sonos One in another room and a Sonos Connect hooked up to my main stereo set up. I find it works superbly. My main set up's quite good and the Connect is in no way shown up.
My suggestion would ve a Rega IO, QA Concept 20 and a Connect. Would be a lovely system and not cost that much.
You can get gen 2 Connect's cheap 2nd hand now. I'd do that:

ChrisGTL

Hi. I have a pair of Sonos 3 in the kitchen, a pair of Sonos One in another room and a Sonos Connect hooked up to my main stereo set up. I find it works superbly. My main set up's quite good and the Connect is in no way shown up.
My suggestion would ve a Rega IO, QA Concept 20 and a Connect. Would be a lovely system and not cost that much.
You can get gen 2 Connect's cheap 2nd hand now. I'd do that:

Thanks for that. I shall look into those components. The Rega IO looks like its right at the bottom end of what those speakers need in terms of power but it does look like a neat little box. I could do with finding a distributor of those products so I can hear the comparision.

At this point i'm not hunting for ultimate SQ as I've been down that rabbit hole before and my experience was room acoustics far outweights high-end components. For critical listening I have some TOTL IEM's but there will be times when I just want some music to fill the room and no doubt if a track comes on that I love i'll want to crank it somewhat (especially as I'm moving to a detached property).

acgingersnaps

Thanks for that. I shall look into those components. The Rega IO looks like its right at the bottom end of what those speakers need in terms of power but it does look like a neat little box. I could do with finding a distributor of those products so I can hear the comparision.

At this point i'm not hunting for ultimate SQ as I've been down that rabbit hole before and my experience was room acoustics far outweights high-end components. For critical listening I have some TOTL IEM's but there will be times when I just want some music to fill the room and no doubt if a track comes on that I love i'll want to crank it somewhat (especially as I'm moving to a detached property).
QA are easy to drive and at the current price are a steal.

Re aound quality, i get you, it can be a never ending search for perfect sound. I've settled for well balanced and fun as a result. Better in the long run!

ChrisGTL

So my current thinking based on watching/reading many reviews is as follows;

Q Acoustics 3030i
NAD C 316BEE (not sure these can be had brand new) or 3166BEE V2 or 3266BEE
Schiit Modi 3+
Sonos Port

Apparently the 3030i pairs well with the Class A/B NAD. Can anyone tell me if there are any sound differences between the 3166BEE and V2? I know they added phono to the V2 and the input switching is done via relays on the V2 as opposed to CPU switching on the non V2.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom