• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sonos & dac64 or linn majik DS

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
The Linn range has one of the most terrible user interfaces i have seen, its like something from the '90's, it's just horrible. I had a very quick play with one the other day in a HiFi store and i was shocked (not anywhere near long enough to give an opinion on SQ sorry). The Sonos however is a master class in software ergonomics - nothing over fancy, just good solid simple design thats a pleasure to use. I do think usability has an important role thats worth considering, especially if you plan to kit out other rooms like the kitchen. Both options you list will sound bloody fantastic, and maybe the Linn will sound a bit better, but at least the Sonos will be fun to use too.

Last edited:

martinoslice

The Linn range has one of the most terrible user interfaces i have seen, its like something from the '90's, it's just horrible. I had a very quick play with one the other day in a HiFi store and i was shocked (not anywhere near long enough to give an opinion on SQ sorry). The Sonos however is a master class in software ergonomics - nothing over fancy, just good solid simple design thats a pleasure to use. I do think usability has an important role thats worth considering, especially if you plan to kit out other rooms like the kitchen. Both options you list will sound bloody fantastic, and maybe the Linn will sound a bit better, but at least the Sonos will be fun to use too.

Wow cant believe the interface is that bad, well thats good to know. when you say the linn would sound a bit better do you mean the linn on its own or the linn with the chord dac, as i presumed a £2k chord dac would outperform the dac in a £1750 server.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Sorry, i have not spent hardly any time testing the Linn, let alone with different DAC's. I could guess, but it wont. Much of it is subjective anyway, you need to try them out yourself.

Last edited:

martinoslice

Sorry, i have not spent hardly any time testing the Linn, let alone with different DAC's. I could guess, but it wont. Much of it is subjective anyway, you need to try them out yourself.

Ok cheers will do, i have one more question if you fancy taking a crack at it....Is it worth upgrading the ethernet cable from a nas to sonos for better sq.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Ok cheers will do, i have one more question if you fancy taking a crack at it....Is it worth upgrading the ethernet cable from a nas to sonos for better sq.

There is absolutely no benefit in upgrading the Ethernet cable, it would not make a jot of difference to sound quality. Sure, make sure its a reasonable quality, but its a digital connection - the data either gets there or not, it works or it doesn't..

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom