Sonos constantly stuttering

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by mark88, Feb 13, 2014.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    As soon as i start to play music on my sonos system is starts stuttering, literally cannot play more than 2 seconds without stuttering and then I get the buffing error.

I have a very simple setup in a small house:

Upstairs: Sonos s5, iMac(where music is kept)
    Downstairs: Router, Zone Bridge.

The iMac are S5 are about 3 metre's away from the router(through a wooden floor).

My wifi connection for other things on the network is fine and I have never have connectivity issues. I've tried re-installing sonos controller software, assigning IP's to each component in my router setup, I've re-added the sonos system time and time again, change the wireless channel but nothing works.

Anyone help me out with this?

2. MikeNelson

MikeNelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Its almost certainly related to the WiFi - something is interfering. If you connect your S5 directly to the router via Ethernet does it work OK? If so it's worth looking at Homeplugs as an alternative - that works fine for me. Failing that Sonos' technical support is very good indeed.

3. therixonator

therixonator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Try going into the sonos settings and changing the wireless network band before buying homeplugs. That worked for me. You often find that the default band is the same as what your neighbours are using and you can get interference.

4. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Submit a diagnostic to Sonos when you are having problems and follow it up with a call to a Sonos support so that they ca look at the signal/interference (the diagnostics contain a lot of information about the system and wireless mesh performance).

Do you have neighbours with competing wifi networks too? Can you use a tool like Iinsider to check the channels in use so you can see if there is a better channel to use.

Does your router have a fixed wireless channel or does it change this automatically? This can cause issues as the router keeps swapping channels paying no attention to non-wifi signals like Sonos.

If you run 40MHz wide channels then you are actually using 2/3 of the available channel spectrum, so this is also a factor to take into account.

5. nindy

nindy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    change the wireless channel on the sonos

6. ro53ben

ro53ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    What happens if you connect your iMac with a cable, not wireless.

A wireless music source is not supported by Sonos, there is a reason for that.

7. Up a ladder

Up a ladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Another thing to check, you or a neighbour don't have a wireless video sender? Those things can wreak havoc.