Sonos Connect direct to amp, or via a DAC plus Preamp

Rnjderivs

Standard Member
Hi there - I use a Sonos Connect, and plug the Analog output directly into a power amplifier. The Sonos connect functions as a streamer, plus a pre-amp in this case (as it controls volume). I only listen to Spotify 'Very High' and do not have any other local stored files, or any other streaming service.

If I instead plug the Digital Output from Sonos Connect into a dedicated pre-amp with an integrated DAC will I get a significant, noticeable audio upgrade? Or is it mostly theoretical and only something an audiophile equipment enthusiast (which i am not) would perceive? That is my main question, is it significant and noticeable to a regular listener, or just something for the equipment enthusiast?

I am not interested in other streaming services. I tried Amazon HD but could tell no difference from Spotify Premium. My speakers are Kef q150, but I am waiting for my Elac DBR62s to arrive which I believe will be an upgrade. My amp is a Niles SI-2100. Note my speaker positioning is not ideal because they are in a corner due to room layout constraints, so maybe that constraint is something that would render an equipment upgrade moot?

Thank you in advance

DT79

Distinguished Member
Ideally try to get a home trial from a dealer. Personally I think you would definitely get a noticeable improvement. A preamp can make a lot of difference and I’m pretty sure the Sonos will be chucking away resolution as it changes the volume in the digital domain, especially if it’s the Gen 1 which operates at 16 bits throughout.

Rnjderivs

Standard Member
Ideally try to get a home trial from a dealer. Personally I think you would definitely get a noticeable improvement. A preamp can make a lot of difference and I’m pretty sure the Sonos will be chucking away resolution as it changes the volume in the digital domain, especially if it’s the Gen 1 which operates at 16 bits throughout.

Thank you. What would you suggest. For a simple, decent quality preamp dac combo. I'm flexible on price but I think there are diminishing returns so would want a good value one that is simple to set up and use with the Sonos Connect

DT79

Distinguished Member
There are many options, but I know the Emotiva PT-100 is really good as my mate has one.

Not necessarily recommending this specific item as you could probably get it cheaper* and seller has a less than perfect rating.

* I think my mate paid ~£300 new importing from the US.

I’m sure people can present a few options if you give a budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom