Sonos Connect AMP or BOSE SoundTouch SA-5?

gaelsgolf33

Novice Member
I'm looking for some help with my backyard setup. I recently had my backyard landscaped and ran speaker wire to 8 different locations. All of these speakers will be placed in the ground, nothing mounted on the house or any structures. All of the wiring will run back to the interior of the house. The max distance of the speaker run is 50ft.

Details:
- speaker wire: Phoenix DB Link SW12G250Z 12 Gauge (max run of 50ft)
- 8 total speakers
- I'm considering these TIC speakers: (1) Outdoor Omni Speakers - TIC Exterior Omni Speakers model GS5, OR (2) Outdoor Omni Speakers - TIC Exterior Omni Speakers model GS3

2 Questions:

1. Do I go with the Sonos Connect AMP or the BOSE SA-5?
- The Sonos AMP looks like its recommended to support a single pair of speakers but, can be stretched to support 2 pairs. Please confirm?
- I don't want to buy 4 AMP's, but will 2 AMP's give me enough power for all 8 speakers? (110W RMS (2x55W continuous average power into 8 ohms, THD+N<0.02%)

- The BOSE AMP looks like it can support 2 pairs :"Two speaker connectors allow for the connection of two pairs of speakers in parallel in order to power two rooms or put four speakers in a larger space"
- The BOSE AMP also looks like it provides more power: 100W per channel “100W / channel minimum into 8 ohms, from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with no more than 0.5% THD.”

2. Do I go with the TIC GS5 Mini or GS3?
GS3 (Outdoor Omni Speakers - TIC Exterior Omni Speakers model GS3)
-Continuous/Peak: 100/200W
-Full range 200W driver

GS5 Mini (Outdoor Omni Speakers - TIC Exterior Omni Speakers model GS5)
-2x full range 100W drivers
-Continuous/Peak: 50/100W

dante01

Distinguished Member
It all depends upon the impedance you impose upon the amp. If powering more than one pair of speakers wired in series or parallel to an amp then you alter the ovrall impedance imposed. The total imposed should not eceed the rated handling capabilities of the amplifier.

Series Parallel Speaker Impedance

Speaker Impedance

I think expecting any 2 channel amp to power more than 4 speakers is pushing it. THe impedance you impose upon the amp is more than likely going to exceed that amplifier's capabilities.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom