Sonos c200 controller

Dazo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Decided to take the plunge and go with sonos for my audio multi room streaming. Can I ask people's thoughts on the controller and whether they think it is a worthwhile addition?

I'm a recent sonos owner, 1xZP90 2xS5's and the Sonos controler. My reason for purchasing the controller was the convenience factor. I don't have an iphone or Touch and did not want to have the computer on all the time to operate the system. There have been a number of controllers that have developed "dead spots" but Sonos are aware of this and are brilliant at replacing them. it's a pricey bit of kit but it's very good at what it does. :thumbsup:

That's the thing me and the wife both have iPhones but being honest am not that keen to use the phone to control the system. I really like the look of the controller but can't help feel it is a extravagance.

It does wallop up the price, I think I paid £260 or so from Richer Sounds, but I wouldn't be without it. You haven't said what you are thinking of purchasing but beware, Sonos is addictive! you start off small and before you know where you are you want to keep adding. I guess that the rule of thumb might be that "if I'm going to spend a £1000 on gear then £260 odd pounds is relative"

I am getting 2x S5's, 1x BR100 zonebridge to start off with.

Hey Dazo, I'm currently working with a ZP120 and ZP90 both driven off a RipNAS. At the moment my GF and I are using our iPhones to control it and it's more than adequate at the end of the day. However, I am in the middle of building a new house and am going to add to my network with another couple of ZP120's. Eventually I am definitely going to go for at least one controller, possibly more. If we have house guests who want to listen to music in their bedroom, we're not going to be handing out our iPhones for their use. It just isn't practical. Enjoy your system though. I'm finding it more amazing the longer I play with it.

Cheers,

Kev

If you have decent Wi-Fi coverage (over and above SonosNet) then an iPhone/iPod Touch is a good option – through it’s not as ‘instantaneous’ in those moments when you want to quickly mute or change volume as using a CR200.

The iPhone/iPod Touch lacks the Hard button Vol+, Vol- and Mute and can take a few secs to wake up from sleep and fire up the Sonos App.

Given both sitting side by side I’ll grab the CR200 every time.

Joe

Cheers all. The consensus seems to be although a little pricey it is a great piece of kit that works flawlessly. I had sort of made my mind up already to get one and nothing posted has made me change my mind.

The difference is that u can just pick up a cr200 and its ready to go. Even when u have the app open on a phone it still waits for a couple of seconds. I've got two. I got the first one with a bundle and split a bundle with a friend for the second. That made the price a bit more reasonable as I wanted the other gear so it brought everything down about 25%. I didn't own an iPhone and the Android app wasn't out. If it had of been.... I still would have bought the controllers, they're brilliant.

I got the cr200 as part of a zp90 / 120 bundle, so it was probably worth it, but I tend not to use it that much, I prefer the bigger screen of my laptop and iPad. Yes, the dedicated controller is better than an iPhone and faster than an iOs app, but if I had to buy another dedicated controller, I'd probably give serious thought to buying a second (possibly second hand) iPad...

Hi, just purchased and installed tonight a sonos 120, 90, S5 and iPod dock, I thought about the 200, wife and I have iphone 4 they work well, but on an iPad it's great! Signed to Napster for a month for free, not sure I'll be buying many cd's in future! Best bit of music kit I have bought in a very long time!!

As a Sonos user as well as a dealer I was unsure why anyone would bother with a CR200 when there is free software for the iPod/iPhone/iPad and now Android. When you actually use the CR200 the answer is more obvious, because as good as the apps are, the dedicated controller is really very good. I have a CR100, CR200 and the apps on an iPhone. I use all 3 at various times but the CR200 is my personal favourite. Is it worth the money? That's down to the individual I guess, you certainly don't need one, but you probably want one.

This is written with my Sonos user/fan hat on, not as a dealer!

We have just gone down the Sonos route at home, picked up a deal with a cr100. More than happy with it. Might be a cheaper option with it being old technology.

I use the android app myself but everyone else uses the Sonos remote.

I was unsure why anyone would bother with a CR200 when there is free software for the iPod/iPhone/iPad and now Android. When you actually use the CR200 the answer is more obvious, because as good as the apps are, the dedicated controller is really very good. I have a CR100, CR200 and the apps on an iPhone. I use all 3 at various times but the CR200 is my personal favourite. Is it worth the money? That's down to the individual I guess, you certainly don't need one, but you probably want one.
I second that. The iphone is OK, but inconvenient to change volume etc, and loses signal frequently. The ipad app is fab. Really clear to use and read.Then you try the CR200 - not cheap but it is a quality product, which the Sonos setup deserves. :thumbsup:

1) Cr200
2) Ipad
3) Iphone
The controller is superb but if you already have an ipad the I wouldnt bother.

I have the cr200 controller, I think it's fantastic. I have an iPad which is the best controller of them too but I use the cr200 more as it's instant. Unlike the iPad or iPhone which need to wake and can take a few seconds.

I have had the controller for a while now aswell as an iPad and iPhone and iPod touch to control the sonos. The controller is always handy and the wife can use it when I am at work, I can't see her messing about with the iPad to change the volume or turn it off. The controller also works in the garden as the wi-fi struggles on the phone as the router is at the front of the house. It is a worthy addition but expensive if you already own an iPod/iPhone.

One other advantage of the controller over the apps which I found out today. The controller works when its in range of any other sonos device. My phone only works when its in range of the router. So if uve got a big house or garden you need a decent strength WiFi signal to use the app everywhere.

One other advantage of the controller over the apps which I found out today. The controller works when its in range of any other sonos device. My phone only works when its in range of the router. So if uve got a big house or garden you need a decent strength WiFi signal to use the app everywhere.

My router is at the from of the house and my phone struggles in the garden since I use sky's router which is only G enabled so the controller works anywhere due to the sonos mesh.

I have a CR200, iphone and ipad. When the Sonos iphone app first came out it wasn't multi-tasking, so switching to it would take a couple of seconds, and for this reason I preferred the CR200. But since the app update a few months ago the app switches instantly and the iphone app works very well. If you have an iphone and (as others have said) wifi range isn't a problem, I would see how you get on using the iphone first.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom