Sonos Beam

You should have one marked Arc. Use that Into the beam.

Mmmm ARC

giphy.gif

Ok, got it. All working, thank you.

Experimenting today and interestingly playing music it sounds meatier with the sub off and the Beam doing the bass. Okay everything gets a bit muddier bit it just sounds boomy. I think this is because I have sub level at - 5. So now I'm seeing how bass in combination with the lowered sub level affects bass. Obviously the Beam doesn't have the low end but the mid range depth is beefier sounding with how I have it setup.

I wish I knew what is right sound wise, don't want to annoy neighbor with that low end thud but I do like the mid range thud and grunt the Beam produces.

Anyone here experimented with bass rather than sub level?

I've had my Beam for a few days now and I have to say I love it. The only issue I have with it is that as I don't have an ARC, I'm passing the audio from SKY Q to the beam via optical and pairing the SKY Q remote by utilising the infra red on the beam.
I set this up and most of the time it works perfectly, but in a number of occasions the Beam just does not respond to the volume control from the remote (not even showing up as a little white led response at all) but will then suddenly work flawlessly a few minutes (maybe an hour) later.
When it plays up like this if I try to pair the remote again, it doesn't even find the remote!
Anyone else had this? I'm wondering if it's a faulty unit.
Cheers all.

So QQ on this. I currently have a Q Media 4 sound bar. Thinking changing for a Sonos Beam. Is this a good call? It's a smallish room and I find the media is either TOO Loud or TOO quiet.

Any thoughts?

I have to say I think the sound of the beam is fantastic. I'm definitely in the audiophile camp and I can't fault it.
It has night mode, so when that's on the louder sounds are compressed. So might be a good option for you.

So QQ on this. I currently have a Q Media 4 sound bar. Thinking changing for a Sonos Beam. Is this a good call? It's a smallish room and I find the media is either TOO Loud or TOO quiet.

Any thoughts?
I until recently had two full Beam setups with rears and subwoofers (Upgraded the living room Beam to the Arc). I loved them, they sounded great for music, movies and TV shows. I have the rears and subwoofer in smart plugs so for normal TV I would just use the soundbar, for movies I could ask Alexa to turn on the rears/sub and enjoy 5.1 surround sound. Works brilliantly for me, hence why I I've stuck with Sonos and bought an Arc.

Sonos has speech enhancement and a night mode should you need them.

I until recently had two full Beam setups with rears and subwoofers (Upgraded the living room Beam to the Arc). I loved them, they sounded great for music, movies and TV shows. I have the rears and subwoofer in smart plugs so for normal TV I would just use the soundbar, for movies I could ask Alexa to turn on the rears/sub and enjoy 5.1 surround sound. Works brilliantly for me, hence why I I've stuck with Sonos and bought an Arc.

Sonos has speech enhancement and a night mode should you need them.

How much of an upgrade is the Arc from the Beam, very noticeable? I guess as you have a sub and rears it might be a bit less noticeable.

How much of an upgrade is the Arc from the Beam, very noticeable? I guess as you have a sub and rears it might be a bit less noticeable.
The Beam is great, but due to its size the front soundstage LCR is narrow, the Arc is twice the width so sounds massive in comparison. Add in Atmos and the magic happens, watched Bohemian Rhapsody on the Arc and felt like I was watching Live Aid live. The Arc produced a wall of sound towards me.

The Beam vs Arc comes down to price and how big the room is its going in, plus you really need E-ARC to get the best out of the Arc.

I have the rears and subwoofer in smart plugs so for normal TV I would just use the soundbar, for movies I could ask Alexa to turn on the rears/sub and enjoy 5.1 surround sound.
Out of interest, any particular reason you do this?

Out of interest, any particular reason you do this?
Just to save having them on all the time, the smart plugs will use less in electricity and I'm at work during the day so no need to have 2 sets of rears and subs on and if I'm just watching normal TV no need for the rears and sub anyway as most tv is in stereo. I leave the Beams on for the use of Alexa though.

Any thoughts?
I have just replaced my Media 4 with a Sonos Beam and am very happy with it.

Before I buy a Beam, does anyone know if it supports AAC 5.1 audio? I think I remember reading it doesn't and will down mix it to stereo but wanted to double check.

Reason I ask is I use Plex sometimes for playing movies from my NAS, if I uncheck DTS audio Plex will transcode films with DTS to AAC, however I can't seem to find an option to force it to transcode to AC3 (Dolby). My Plex client is on my LG C8 TV, which I believe can output audio as Dolby Digital (is an option over ARC). However it seems a waste and inefficient to have audio trabscoded twice.

Does anyone have a similar setup and can advise? Understand it's probably better for me to post on the Plex forums as it is a fairly specific question.

Before I buy a Beam, does anyone know if it supports AAC 5.1 audio? I think I remember reading it doesn't and will down mix it to stereo but wanted to double check.

Reason I ask is I use Plex sometimes for playing movies from my NAS, if I uncheck DTS audio Plex will transcode films with DTS to AAC, however I can't seem to find an option to force it to transcode to AC3 (Dolby). My Plex client is on my LG C8 TV, which I believe can output audio as Dolby Digital (is an option over ARC). However it seems a waste and inefficient to have audio trabscoded twice.

Does anyone have a similar setup and can advise? Understand it's probably better for me to post on the Plex forums as it is a fairly specific question.
The Playbar supports AAC at 2.0 not 5.1 so I suspect the Beam would be the same, it's a horrible compressed sound too, hideous, I mix it up to AC3 5.1 on avidemux if I need too but not much about with that codec, I tried using Plex to transcode DTS to AC3 but the throughput @ 30mb/s for sound over my network doesn't work so well, I use a NAS drive connected to an Android box but still stick to AC3.

The Playbar supports AAC at 2.0 not 5.1 so I suspect the Beam would be the same, it's a horrible compressed sound too, hideous, I mix it up to AC3 5.1 on avidemux if I need too but not much about with that codec, I tried using Plex to transcode DTS to AC3 but the throughput @ 30mb/s for sound over my network doesn't work so well, I use a NAS drive connected to an Android box but still stick to AC3.

Thanks. My Beam arrived yesterday, as long as I untick DTS in my Plex options it all works ok. Even with DTS audio transcoded to AAC the Beam is showing DD 5.1 - not sure if it's Plex or the LG TV doing that. All well that ends well.

Arrived and set up super happy i may lack a bit of base on the Q4 but not much and overall the sound is far more nuanced.

Tearing my hair out now, I have an LG B9, all onboard apps play 5.1 to my Sonos beam, but not my Apple tv4k it onky comes through in Stereo 2.0 via HDMI. However if I use optical to my surround sound headphones it flags up Dolby Atmos and even though they can’t decode it, they definitely play brilliant surround sound. I’ve tried all variations, Auto, pcm, passthrough via arc, I’ve set the hdmi to bitstream and pcm nothing helps, in fact the only thing changing it does is seem to stop Atmos been available on the Apple TV.
Has anyone got any ideas what the setting should be?

anyone with lg B9/C9 having beam? nay issues with lipsync? i will use only internal apps (atv app, netflix, hbo) and ps4/ps5 - as it does not have earc, there may be potential problem... anyone can share your experiance?

anyone with lg B9/C9 having beam? nay issues with lipsync? i will use only internal apps (atv app, netflix, hbo) and ps4/ps5 - as it does not have earc, there may be potential problem... anyone can share your experiance?
See my answer above, internal apps are fine, I’ll try my PS4 tomorrow, but the Apple TV just flags stereo, no lip sync issues at all though.

See my answer above, internal apps are fine, I’ll try my PS4 tomorrow, but the Apple TV just flags stereo, no lip sync issues at all though.
You need to go into audio settings of Apple TV and change audio format to Dolby Digital 5.1. The Apple TV uses LPCM as standard which Sonos can't handle so you get stereo.

You need to go into audio settings of Apple TV and change audio format to Dolby Digital 5.1. The Apple TV uses LPCM as standard which Sonos can't handle so you get stereo.
So what do I set my tv hdmi arc to then mate auto/pcm or pass through?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom