Sonos Beam

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
They reckon the beam sounds even better with the sub! Can anyone compare?
Well I've had the Beam with Sub and it sounds fantastic. But the front soundstage does sound narrower than from the Arc.

It's a tough one because that depth is hard to give up that you get from the sub, and it does free the Beam up nicely, you can hear the difference from the Beam.

But the Arc does just sound bigger and Meaner and you do just watch films and the sound just comes at you from all around. Where the Beam you do feel like it is coming from that one spot Infront of you.

Even with the rears added the front soundstage from the Beam more often than not sounds like it's coming from a narrow space in front of you. The Arc it sounds a lot wider and more like you're listening to separate speakers either side of your tv if that makes sense.

Cowan86

Well I've had the Beam with Sub and it sounds fantastic. But the front soundstage does sound narrower than from the Arc.

It's a tough one because that depth is hard to give up that you get from the sub, and it does free the Beam up nicely, you can hear the difference from the Beam.

But the Arc does just sound bigger and Meaner and you do just watch films and the sound just comes at you from all around. Where the Beam you do feel like it is coming from that one spot Infront of you.

Even with the rears added the front soundstage from the Beam more often than not sounds like it's coming from a narrow space in front of you. The Arc it sounds a lot wider and more like you're listening to separate speakers either side of your tv if that makes sense.
With us having a small living room, I buy the sub first. Will it sound good behind the couch Or side of the couch as we lack space? Thanks for the advice.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
With us having a small living room, I buy the sub first. Will it sound good behind the couch Or side of the couch as we lack space? Thanks for the advice.
Potentially it should do, but it's something you'll just have to mess around with and test in your space.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
What settings do people use for say the Beam on its own in the bedroom? I watched a film last night and cranked it up and damn it had some kick! I don't know whether to use Loudness and then keep volume down but that added more bass, use Loudness and have bass down to compensate, or no loudness and bass lowered.

I know there's night mode but really I'd rather not use that mode unless it's really late at night.

I just couldn't find a balance last night and made the mistake of constantly changing so never gave it chance.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
We have loudness on plus a little bit of bass....BUT... this is so room dependent and person dependent you really just need to play around a little and yes, give it some time :) We also have rears in the bedroom (oooh matron)

robdmarsh

I've had the Sonos beam for a couple of weeks and I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting too much especially when it comes to soundtracks and music. My current set up is a Marantz m-cr603 connected to my Sony bravia via optical with Elac debut b5 outputting the sound, so just stereo and no AV. The result with the beam is that it sounds nowhere like as good for music soundtracks and live music (Glasto, later with Jules etc) and perhaps a little better for voices in movies. I listen to movies with the onboard speakers and the hifi on at the same time, which will make a lot of people on here wince I'm sure. For effects my stereo setup is not bad at all and the bass I get with the Elacs packs more punch with action sequences than the beam. I think there is more clarity and focus with the Sonos and voices, but I have pretty good hearing and it's not a big difference. The other benefits of the excellence of my stereo speakers blow the Sonos out the water. This might be a bit shocking to a lot of you AV buffs, but as I'm not into Dolby dts, Atmos and all that jazz, stereo sound with traditional separates backed up by onboard speakers on telly for dialogue beats something like the Sonos beam hands down. This is a pretty overpriced piece of kit imo.

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
I've had the Sonos beam for a couple of weeks and I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting too much especially when it comes to soundtracks and music. My current set up is a Marantz m-cr603 connected to my Sony bravia via optical with Elac debut b5 outputting the sound, so just stereo and no AV. The result with the beam is that it sounds nowhere like as good for music soundtracks and live music (Glasto, later with Jules etc) and perhaps a little better for voices in movies. I listen to movies with the onboard speakers and the hifi on at the same time, which will make a lot of people on here wince I'm sure. For effects my stereo setup is not bad at all and the bass I get with the Elacs packs more punch with action sequences than the beam. I think there is more clarity and focus with the Sonos and voices, but I have pretty good hearing and it's not a big difference. The other benefits of the excellence of my stereo speakers blow the Sonos out the water. This might be a bit shocking to a lot of you AV buffs, but as I'm not into Dolby dts, Atmos and all that jazz, stereo sound with traditional separates backed up by onboard speakers on telly for dialogue beats something like the Sonos beam hands down. This is a pretty overpriced piece of kit imo.
Thats one good thing about Sonos, if you are not happy with it you have a 100 day return window. It sounds like it is not for you so I would return it. :)

Desmo

Distinguished Member
You have to remember the multi-room capabilities of Sonos though. As a standalone soundbar I don't doubt there's way better available out there. But when you want to play wholes house audio then it's getting more difficult.

I've said many times before, Sonos can easily be beaten by a decent amp and speakers for the same money...but that's not the Sonos USP. Multi-room audio is.

Last edited:

Cowan86

Ad
You have to remember the multi-room capabilities of Sonos though. As a standalone sounder I don't doubt there's way better available out there. But when you want to play wholesaled house audio then it's getting more difficult.

I've said many times before, Sonos can easily be beaten by a decent amp and speakers for the same money...but that's not the Sonos USP. Multi-room audio is.
need the ones as surrounds and it sounds brilliant.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Yep, the ones certainly add more than a little something. We have 3 x Beam and One setups, one also has a sub. Can't complain about any of them.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
I've now got the Beam in the bedroom on its own and got told to turn it down as it sounded like someone was trying to come through the ceiling :rotfl:

robdmarsh

Thinyg about Sonos is they know how to promote themselves on the shop floor and they have pretty good marketing - pretty much the Bose playbook but more high tech features. The beam doesn't sound at home half as impressive as it does on their demo in store, but I think it was pretty naive of me to think it would. I don't doubt that with play one's as surrounds it would sound much better but then you're talking £700.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Oh yes....a sub is definitely not to be missed. Just a shame they're so expensive.

Regtastical

Oh yes....a sub is definitely not to be missed. Just a shame they're so expensive.
There is no doubt it is pricey.

In this case you get what you pay for - quality.

The build quality is something else, you can boom the bass and put a glass of water on top of it, and it doesnt move. At 16.5 kg gives a good indication of the build quality.

low-def.

Yes, I currently have a Beam on loan and have added the Sub 3, the difference is massive. The Beam sounds so much better itself when it offloads some of the workload onto the Sub.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
There is no doubt it is pricey.

In this case you get what you pay for - quality.

The build quality is something else, you can boom the bass and put a glass of water on top of it, and it doesnt move. At 16.5 kg gives a good indication of the build quality.
I'm only moaning about the price as I want another two and can't really justify the spend. It's not totally necessary for a bedroom :D

I wish they did a cheaper "half-sub" of some kind.

Cowan86

How does the sound project out of the sub? The only position I get it is behind my couch? Or would it be ok behind my oak tv table. Will the sound be blocked? Does it need to be around open space?

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Subs are pretty good at being placed pretty much anywhere. Low bass sounds aren't particularly "directional".

How does the sound project out of the sub? The only position I get it is behind my couch? Or would it be ok behind my oak tv table. Will the sound be blocked? Does it need to be around open space?
mine is behind my couch at the back of me its phenomenal especially if your a gamer COD is just unreal and movies as well it rocks the house

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Mines behind the tv stand and the sound is not affected at all. The true play setup will set the levels for where you’re sitting. :)

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Latest News

Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz unveils 12 Series Special Edition models