Sonos Beam

BigTelHols

So what do I set my tv hdmi arc to then mate auto/pcm or pass through?
You don't want PCM, so try pass through. It should just pass through the Dolby Digital 5.1 from your Apple TV. I've two Beams, used with a Sony XG9505 and XF9005 and I got Dolby Digital 5.1 from both my Apple TV's.

For your PS4 you'll have to go into the PS4 audio settings and set bitstream, then select Dolby Digital.

Cowan86

Any idea what I can do for my Panasonic 820 love the picture but the sound is compared to my Xbox one x. Wish Sonos would take on the dts licence. Especially when you paying for a premium price!

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
You don't want PCM, so try pass through. It should just pass through the Dolby Digital 5.1 from your Apple TV. I've two Beams, used with a Sony XG9505 and XF9005 and I got Dolby Digital 5.1 from both my Apple TV's.

For your PS4 you'll have to go into the PS4 audio settings and set bitstream, then select Dolby Digital.
You sir are a star, much better now, thanks for the tips.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Please let us now tomorrow how it works with ps4. Thx.
go into PS4 settings, select bitstream and Dolby digital you get 5.1 pal

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Decisuins, still cant decide whether beam would be good enough or should i pay twice more for arc...
It's not difficult as Sonos returns are so easy. Buy the Beam and see how you get on.

low-def.

I've been very impressed with the 'on loan' Beam I have from RS while waiting for my Arc to arrive. Definitely buying one for the kitchen once the room has been refitted.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Weird last night, watching the WWE Network and my TV in the bedroom can't seem to pass Dolby Digital 2.0 back like the Sony downstairs so I get stereo. The sound though was only coming through the centre channel of the Beam? Is that right? I would have thought it would be through the front left and right only? It sounded fine so no complaints, just surprised me.

1984efc

Novice Member
Hello, a question around the issue of the Beam only playing PCM and Dolby Digital.

Is there a piece of kit out there that can decode/recode audio format into PCM/Dolby Digital that would pass through before going into the Beam from the TVs ARC output?

The issue I have is all my blu rays are a mixed sound bag and many end up outputting to Stereo 2.0 such as Heat for example, a lot of older Blu Rays seem to be DTS or Dolby True HD etc

From a TV output aspect Sky Cinema movies all sound great but using the bluRay player is disappointing

garlandjon

Not sure if it's Sky or the Beam being updated to S2 but i'm getting sound dropouts every so often when watching TV which wasn't happening before. Anyone else having issues?

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Interesting video for anyone debating getting an Arc or adding a sub to their Beam. What I will say, the Arc does sound wider, but damn the Beam still impresses me how dynamic it sounds.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Latest News

Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Marantz unveils 12 Series Special Edition models