Sonos Beam - XBox Series X - LG CX - Cannot use Dolby Digital

drinkingguinness

Novice Member
Hello all. Thank you for taking the time to read my question/issue.

I recently setup a small system and am having issues getting Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 on the XBOX. When trying to select Dolby Digital 5.1, DD 7.1 or Bitstream out I receive the following XBOX error:
I get 5.1 using the TV native apps like Disney+ or Netflix (sounds incredible)

So here is how its all connected.
XBox is connected to the LG via HDMI audioquest Pearl 48 cable 5ft. Call of Duty looks amazing!
Sonos is connected to the eARC port on the LG using the Sonos HDMI cable.
(I have also tried using the HDMI to optical converter connecting the optical converter to the LG optical out and back to the Sonos Beam)

So what I am doing wrong? Why can I not get 5.1 using the XBOX? Please help, I have exhausted my mind searching google with no working solutions.

Thank you,
Sean

Sonos Beam
Sonos One for left and right channels
XBox Series X
LG CX Series TV

jswords

Do you have the audio signal set to pass through on the TV? Try setting it to auto. On some set ups that resolves the issue of the Xbox saying that Atmos cannot be decoded by the audio device.

drinkingguinness

Novice Member
Do you have the audio signal set to pass through on the TV? Try setting it to auto. On some set ups that resolves the issue of the Xbox saying that Atmos cannot be decoded by the audio device.
Thanks for the reply! I have tried setting the tv audio to both Auto and Pass Through. Both settings produce the same XBOX error :(

I did connect a Amazon fire stick and was able to get 5.1 to pass through. Sounds wonderful!

dbwinter

Hello all. Thank you for taking the time to read my question/issue.

I recently setup a small system and am having issues getting Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 on the XBOX. When trying to select Dolby Digital 5.1, DD 7.1 or Bitstream out I receive the following XBOX error:
I get 5.1 using the TV native apps like Disney+ or Netflix (sounds incredible)

So here is how its all connected.
XBox is connected to the LG via HDMI audioquest Pearl 48 cable 5ft. Call of Duty looks amazing!
Sonos is connected to the eARC port on the LG using the Sonos HDMI cable.
(I have also tried using the HDMI to optical converter connecting the optical converter to the LG optical out and back to the Sonos Beam)

So what I am doing wrong? Why can I not get 5.1 using the XBOX? Please help, I have exhausted my mind searching google with no working solutions.

Thank you,
Sean

Sonos Beam
Sonos One for left and right channels
XBox Series X
LG CX Series TV

I think the answer is:

Your connection set up looks right.
Set the Xbox to bitstream out.
Set passthrough on the LG.

This should allow passthrough of Dolby Digital 5.1 (Atmos won't work with the Beam as it can only decode Dolby Digital streams) to the Sonus Beam, so that it effectively uses Left, Right and Centre channels - I suspect it also does pushes the rear channel and 0.1 subwoofer channel info to the Left and Right Channels.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom