Sonos Beam vs Yamaha YSP-2700

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by alftrad1, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. alftrad1

alftrad1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Please forgive for what I am sure is a simple question but I have struggled to find clear answers so here goes...

I'm thinking about purchasing a Sonos Beam and I know that this has a HDMI port which can be connected to the HDMI ARC on my TV. Obviously any other devices I own (Xbox One and Firestick) will then have to connect to the other HDMI ports on my TV.

My question is, what difference does it make connecting devices directly to a TV vs a sound bar? Is there any difference? For example, the other contender for purchase is the Yamaha YSP-2700. This has 4 HDMI ports so in this instance I could connect my Xbox and Firestick directly to this device OR my TV. What are the pros and cons of either method? I just want to be clear about this before I spend money on something that forces me to connect to the TV via HDMI.

Also, what are people's opinion on either device? WhatHiFi has the Beam as the best under £500 and the YSP-2700 as the best under £750. I don't yet own any Sonos devices but I will also get a Sonos Play 1 for my dining room with a view to adding another. It isn't impossible to think that I might also add 2 play 1s eventually as rear speakers in my living room if I went for the Beam. If I went for this, what would be the best setup out of the two? Thanks in advance!

2. Inverary74

Inverary74
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think there a pro's and con's for both
    the yamaha is more flexible with the hdmi passthrough also it comes with a sub which would cost an additional 700 quid with the sonos
    you could also go the route of musiccast with the yamaha as it is a competing multiroom solution they have equivalent speakers to sonos with some new ones due to be released

i have demo'ed both and preferred the yamaha but the sonos sounded good also

i'm just waiting now for delivery of my ysp-2700 now