• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sonos Beam or Samsung HW-q80r

gp68

Standard Member
Hi
I am looking to by a sound bar and with my budget I can afford the Sonos Beam, which I was set on getting. However for the same price I have been offered a demo model of the Samsung HW-q80r which has a subwoofer and Dolby atmos for the same price as the Sonos Beam.
I am new to soundbars and am wondering if I should go with the Samsung. Anyone have experience with both of any suggestions?

Sentinel1124

Novice Member
If you have a Samsung tv, i would recommend the Q80r. I have one as well and it does indeed do the virtual surround sound very well. It has a adaptive sound mode that boosts the dialogue of tv/movies. It also has the typical standard, surround, and game mode. Furthermore, both HDMI IN Inputs support every Dolby and DTS format. Lastly, a firmware update was just sent out that enables E-ARC on this Soundbar. Oh and did i mention the SIZE is HUGE compared to the Sonos BEam. The two Upward firing speakers on the Q80r are the large as well.

gp68

Standard Member
Thanks for the info. I have a Samsung TV but it is a from 2016. A 55" Series 6 . The q80r soundbar Sounds like it might be to big. I've also read quite a few reviews on the 90r and many complaints on connectivity issues. While with the Beam reviewsseams like it is more streamlined and easier setup

Sentinel1124

Novice Member
Thanks for the info. I have a Samsung TV but it is a from 2016. A 55" Series 6 . The q80r soundbar Sounds like it might be to big. I've also read quite a few reviews on the 90r and many complaints on connectivity issues. While with the Beam reviewsseams like it is more streamlined and easier setup
Oh well when you put it that way; I'd say get the sonos beam to alleviate compatibility concerns. I tried to get the Q70r soundbar to work with a Series 6 tv and it didn't work at all when connected by HDMI Arc. This happens to be the case with the Q soundbars since Samsung primarily used DTS:Neo as the default sound format for tvs before 2019 while the Q soundbars default to Dolby digital and Dolby Digital Plus.

In my experience with series 6 tvs and a q soundbar they only seem to work on wifi.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom