Question Sonos Beam optical VS HDMI arc

daz_75

I have a beam and two play ones hooked up to my old TV using optical as it has no ARC HMDI port.
I have a new TV coming that does have ARC. As I have 4 HDMI using peripherals I guess using the optical would mean I have enough free HDMI ports for my stuff. But I'm worried I'm missing out on something.

Does the arc port provide better sound quality or does it not make any difference. What am I missing out on if I use optical as the beam instructions have little detail

Thanks

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Sound quality will be the same with either connection. Optical tends to be more stable than arc, though.

Connecting via hdmi does allow use of Alexa but you’ve survived this long without that so guessing it’s not that important...

daz_75

Sound quality will be the same with either connection. Optical tends to be more stable than arc, though.

Connecting via hdmi does allow use of Alexa but you’ve survived this long without that so guessing it’s not that important...
Thanks. I currently use alexa to adjust the volume. Can she do other stuff via ARC

geoffrk

Standard Member
Thanks, that answered a question I had, about quality different or not. If you use the optical option (to save tying up one of only two HDMIs on TV), does that still mean the TV volume controller will control the Sony volume? I'm guessing it does but wanted to check.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom