sonos beam gen2

BryBro

Novice Member
Hi guys I bought a beam gen2 on release day and was hugely disappointed with its performance , soundstage width non existent dolby atmos the same tried it with music streaming not good very muddled sound spoke to a Sonos tech who got me to do something on the app then read out a long number to him and after a while came back and said it was wired up correctly and that was as good as it was going to get without adding rear speakers and a sub !! I decided to send it straight back for a refund, which was so well handled by sonos it was a very pleasant and prompt refund experience I was in Currys to-day and they had a beam gen 1 set up ready to play tried all sorts of input and it really was amazing Sorry about this long ramble but basically would anyone recommend from experience that I try a gen2 again or try to get a gen 1 instead or recommend anything else ? I am looking for something with a similar form factor as the gen2 and the possibility of perhaps expanding the system My TV is an LG 55OLED CX bought in 2021

any thoughts gratefully received

The Hack

I think get another Gen 2 and set it up correctly with 'True tuning', then give the drivers a few weeks to 'bed-in'. The Gen 2 is according to all reviews an upgrade from Gen 1.

I've just bought a Gen 2 and Sub. Still getting used to it - it's replacing a Yamaha YSP 2500, which my wife at the moment prefers the sound of slightly. The Beam 2 sounds a bit 'bright' and 'clinical'. Not sure how to explain. I'm sure it will open up after 20/30 hours of use. True-tuned and loudness off.

My TV is an LG 55OLEDE6 - so no eArc and therefore can't take advantage of ATMOS. :(

White Lion

Standard Member
I think get another Gen 2 and set it up correctly with 'True tuning', then give the drivers a few weeks to 'bed-in'. The Gen 2 is according to all reviews an upgrade from Gen 1.

I've just bought a Gen 2 and Sub. Still getting used to it - it's replacing a Yamaha YSP 2500, which my wife at the moment prefers the sound of slightly. The Beam 2 sounds a bit 'bright' and 'clinical'. Not sure how to explain. I'm sure it will open up after 20/30 hours of use. True-tuned and loudness off.

My TV is an LG 55OLEDE6 - so no eArc and therefore can't take advantage of ATMOS. :(
Hi, I am considering the Sonos Beam Gen 2 and also have an LG 55OLEDE6 which has it's own sound bar of sorts. How is it bedding in now and is it worth the expense for the improvement over the TV sound? Also does it look OK in front of the LG sound bar/does it block the screen? Thanks.

Steve1987

How are you finding your Beam Gen 2 now?

Set ours up recently and completely agree with your description of the sound, it has no warmth to dialogue and sounds harsh to my ears (s sounds in particular).

I've tried tuning it with the app and played around with the EQ but at the moment its a bit disappointing.

The Hack

Hi, I am considering the Sonos Beam Gen 2 and also have an LG 55OLEDE6 which has it's own sound bar of sorts. How is it bedding in now and is it worth the expense for the improvement over the TV sound? Also does it look OK in front of the LG sound bar/does it block the screen? Thanks.
Hi, my Beam 2 seems to be bedding in nicely and it is a HUGE improvement over the TV speakers. I have the SW too, which helps a lot (for movie bass) but is not essential. Mine sits on a Beam 2 bracket just above the TV, but if you put yours in front of the TV, the height might block the edge of the screen slightly (but I'm not 100% certain). Could be fine! Check dimensions online.

The Hack

How are you finding your Beam Gen 2 now?

Set ours up recently and completely agree with your description of the sound, it has no warmth to dialogue and sounds harsh to my ears (s sounds in particular).

I've tried tuning it with the app and played around with the EQ but at the moment its a bit disappointing.
The sound seems to be improving and 'warming up'. :) So persevere for a few more weeks and see what you think.

Steve1987

The sound seems to be improving and 'warming up'. :) So persevere for a few more weeks and see what you think.

I hope so, this replaced a cheap soundbar which came with the old tv so was expecting an upgrade but at the moment I prefer the cheap one as it sounds more balanced. The Sonos seems to have good highs / lows but the mid range sounds muffled until I increase the treble but then it sounds even harsher.

The Hack

I hope so, this replaced a cheap soundbar which came with the old tv so was expecting an upgrade but at the moment I prefer the cheap one as it sounds more balanced. The Sonos seems to have good highs / lows but the mid range sounds muffled until I increase the treble but then it sounds even harsher.
Do you have the Subwoofer as well? Have you calibrated the sound with the Sonos App and 'Truetone'?

Steve1987

Do you have the Subwoofer as well? Have you calibrated the sound with the Sonos App and 'Truetone'?

No just the Beam (Gen 2) but a £450 soundbar should trounce a cheap £50 jobby. I've done the Truetone thing twice now, think I'll just have to give it some time to settle and see if it still sounds like this in a few weeks time.

Edgie70

No just the Beam (Gen 2) but a £450 soundbar should trounce a cheap £50 jobby. I've done the Truetone thing twice now, think I'll just have to give it some time to settle and see if it still sounds like this in a few weeks time.
I did trueplay about 20 times , always got that bit of vocal boom sound until I went around the room the opposite way that I went around the previous 19 times , boom was gone and sounds better .

Kyle800

Standard Member
I've had the Beam Gen2 since November, which replaced my Gen 1 with surrounds & sub. At first I was a little dissapointed as coldnt hear much of a difference however over the past couple of months I've found myself to be totally cought out by the Gen2 with regards to sounds eminating far beyond the soundstage of the Gen1. Only last night I thought I heard a bird chirping just outside our patio doors (RHS of listening position) which I thought was odd gived how late it was. I actually stopped the show I was watching to go and see what it was and it turned out to be on the soundtrack coming from the Beam.

I think having the surrounds and sub do help the sound on the Beam greatly though.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom