Sonos Beam Gen 2 - Dolby Atmos

Hello all, i live in a sml flat front room 4.5x3m and have to watch the noise for the neighbours. I have just got a beam 2 and i done some sound testing today with the end battle scene from the 4k blu ray - atmos version of 'saving private ryan' film, played on a pan ub820 player. Below is my findings when comparing the beam 2 with my other gear, from my novice ears.

1. LG CX 55" TV speakers
Terrible sound in atmos, very muffled and has to be turned up to around 70+ to hear it?
Switch atmos off, and its a lot more clearer with dialogue and louder, and this is turned down to 40-50. But it lacks any real bass, as expected. However the LG tv sound is so much better than my previous sony w8 tv, which was bad.

2. 2.1 Set Up. Optical in (tv speakers off). 2x monitor audio bx2's- bk gemini 2 sub- denon m39 mini sys.
Very loud powerful bass, dialogue not that sharp, smaller sounds not as noticeable.

3. Sonos beam 2 (eARC Tv out)
Very clear sound whilst running atmos, voices very clear and i can hear the smaller sound details with it, BUT i would have liked a little more bass from it.
I have setup the trueplay and turned the bass up in the EQ settings, but a bit more would have been better. Its NOT bad, but just not quite enough for me.

This is the reason i used to fanny around blending the tv speakers in with the 2.1 setup i already have, because when i could get it right, the tv speakers gave me that vocal clarity combined with the bass from the 2.1 set up, if you know what i mean. But i want a easier and neater setup.

Anyway im going to give it a bit of time before i make a call on what to do. I know i can add the sonos sub, but thats another £650, and the rear speakers wont go. Then there is the ARC, but i dont really have room for it, and ive read/seen you tube vids that its not as vocally clear as the beam 2?

Cheers m

Last edited:
Ive decided to stick with the sonos beam 2 as it is a lot better than my tv speakers. But i was wondering if there is any way to split the hdmi earc signal from the tv, into the soundbar and also into a active sub or a receiver to save buying the sonos sub? But i guess this has already been thought of though?
Thanks m

Ive decided to stick with the sonos beam 2 as it is a lot better than my tv speakers. But i was wondering if there is any way to split the hdmi earc signal from the tv, into the soundbar and also into a active sub or a receiver to save buying the sonos sub? But i guess this has already been thought of though?
Thanks m
I'm pretty sure only the Sonos Sub will work. They do sound amazing together though... :) No need for the rear speakers - the Beam 2 and Sub combo are perfectly adequate for a small to medium sized room.

Think I’m ruled out getting one of these. Have the Samsung 55 Q9FN with no eArc to see true benefits of Dolby and I don’t really fancy spending another £200 on HDFury to make it happen

Hi all,
Some great reviews and comments on the Beam 2!! I now want one, as ticks a few boxes... Was originally looking to buy a standalone Alexa device!

I have a Pioneer Kuro KRP500a (3 of them actually) with no intention to upgrade the best TV ever made. The KRP-M01 is the separate media receiver for the plasma. It doesn't support eARC. However, if I were to buy any new amp that does, will I be able to get Dolby Atmos with the Beam 2?

Hi all,
Some great reviews and comments on the Beam 2!! I now want one, as ticks a few boxes... Was originally looking to buy a standalone Alexa device!

I have a Pioneer Kuro KRP500a (3 of them actually) with no intention to upgrade the best TV ever made. The KRP-M01 is the separate media receiver for the plasma. It doesn't support eARC. However, if I were to buy any new amp that does, will I be able to get Dolby Atmos with the Beam 2?
I used to have the same plasma TV and also thought they couldn't be bettered - but the new OLEDs are significantly better - especially black levels of course.

@Xstyle - you don’t usually combine a Soundbar with an Amp as the Soundbar has its own omplification and processing onboard.

Some ARC enabled TV’s will pass Atmos as DD+ to the SONOS Soundbar - it may be limited to onboard Apps only or Apps + external devices connected to the TV.

Where your TV is not eARC enabled, is ARC enabled (as above) or you want uncompressed Atmos to the SONOS Soundbar you can add an HDFury Arcana or Vertex3 (VRRoom) to the system.

Joe

Thanks Joe! Just been looking at various YouTube videos. The Vrroom is a HDMI switcher as opposed to the Arcana so can input all my devices, such as Sky +, Nvdia Shield, PS4 etc without having to switch cables?

I had originally thought of getting the Sonon Beam 2 for my 2nd room, but pondering if its worth getting it for my main room, if its better than my current soundbar... which is :

ARTCOUSTIC DF MULTI

L/C/R speaker 42"
4 x 4" midrange drivers,
3 x 1.5" tweeters
Max Power (Watts): 220

its loud, clear and awesome!
I had this from my initial home cinema system from 15+ years ago (image below) and still being used in my current set up. At the moment, its connected direct to my KRP-M01 media box for the Pioneer KRP500a as my Onkyo amp died a while ago.... so I have been thinking of buying an AVR amp again for the main room, but maybe I won't.

How will the Beam 2 compare to my Artcoustic (with an AVR)?

Attachments

• Xstyle Phase 14 - View 2 Centre 1 - Plasma Install.jpg
    Xstyle Phase 14 - View 2 Centre 1 - Plasma Install.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 74
  • Artcoustic DF Multi LCR Soundbar.jpg
    Artcoustic DF Multi LCR Soundbar.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
HDFury Vertex³ (VRRoom) is the 4x2+HDMI Audio 'Vertex' platform now incorporating the functionality of the Arcana so ideal for use with eARC 'Only' Soundbars such as the SONOS units.

DFMulti+AVR vs. Beam - my money is on the former :)

Joe

I have just ordered a Sonos Beam gen 2 and sent my Sony HT-G700 back as the Sony was very poor. I’m hoping the Sonos will be a lot more impressive. I will report back once I’ve received it.

If I want to add a sub to my Beam Gen 2, can I use a gen 2 Ssub or does it have to be the Gen 3 one? Only reason I ask is I may see if I can get a second hand one from fleabay as it seems that a new sub costs nearly twice as much as the soundbar itself and the wife will divorce me if she ever found out! 😆

If I want to add a sub to my Beam Gen 2, can I use a gen 2 Ssub or does it have to be the Gen 3 one? Only reason I ask is I may see if I can get a second hand one from fleabay as it seems that a new sub costs nearly twice as much as the soundbar itself and the wife will divorce me if she ever found out! 😆
Gen 2 is fine.

Or wait for the Sonos Mini Sub, as linked to in an earlier post.. which is likely my route.

So the HDFury Vrroom is out 22nd January at £495.
HDFury Arcana is £210.

If I waited for the Vrroom, or indeed didn't want it at all, the workaround (with inferior sound) is the HDMI to Optical convertor?

The Sonos rep mentions it here :

1) 3.5mm digital cable
2) digital to optical convertor

• Digital Cable from Digital -Out of TV to Digital Input of Converter
  • Optical Out of Converter to Beam
  • Video source to HDMI inputs (TV will process video and send the audio to digital-out)
(apologies if that has been answered previously, I've done so much reading, reviewing and watching videos, gets all jumbled up!)

Whilst I await feedback on the above...

I had a very VERY quick look at amps for my main lounge. A proper HDMI 2.1 amp is going to cost in the region of £2K+ (unless the Denon X2700H @ £650 will cut it?)

Room 2

(Black Pioneer KRP500A, will remove the SR03 side speakers)

So, I may put the Artcoustic DF Multi into the 2nd room/Gym, without an amp, using mainly an Nvidia Shield 4K Pro (yet to buy to replace an Ebox R99 v2 as its too slow! and use a PS4 currently but probably won't going forward as only use TV/Video purpose only).

Room 1

(White Pioneer KRP500A)

Beam 2, with a HDFury Arcana or the Vrroom

Used with existing Nvdia Shield 4K Pro and Sky Q.

Thoughts @Joe Fernand and all others?

This also defines whether I buy a white or black Beam 2 (and HDFury instead of an AVR).

p.s. Make no mistake, the Artcoustic DF Multi with its 7 speakers is a beast with good depth!!

Thank you, ~ Xstyle

Last edited:

Gen 2 is fine.
Tom is correct, I've got a Beam Gen 2 with a Subwoofer Gen 2 and they work fine together.

@Style - 'I’m hoping the Sonos will be a lot more impressive', your room and room layout also play a part in how well these systems work.

'Room 2' - think you will be under powering the DFMulti if you plan to use the TV speaker output terminals.

'If I waited for the Vrroom, or indeed didn't want it at all, the workaround (with inferior sound) is the HDMI to Optical convertor?' - Yes, connect the Source(s) to the TV and use Optical Out of the TV to feed the SONOS supplied Optical to HDMI converter.

'HDMI 2.1' - remember to always specify which 'Features' you require rather than HDMI version numbers as most Features are optional so saying a device is 'HDMI x.x' means very little without knowing what it actually supports. That is where the AVR Manufacturers have gotten into a pickle as they all 'claimed' HDMI '2.1' then had to backtrack when they found their HDMI Boards were not up to supporting the video formats folk were expecting.

AVR - as above specify which Features you require, that will guide you to a shortlist of options. Folk can often end up chasing Features they will never use!

Joe

The DF Multi is currently underpowered in Room 1 too. The Onkyo 875 died a while back... the corpse is hidden in the cabinet still 😂... tbh sounds good still! I know there is a major upside when its connected back to an AVR, in whichever room.

I've attached a layout of the two rooms with dimensions.

Room 1: Lounge 19'7" x 14'4" listening area is 2/3 of the lounge. Iin future, will knock out the fireplace with seating all along the back wall, and TV and projector on wall where sofa is currently.
Nvidia Shield TV Pro.
Sky Q
PS4 maybe 5 in future
Alexa
Commodore Amiga 500 (scart)

Room 2: Gym 12'3" x 10'3" sofa removed last night ready for the treadmill arriving on Thursday! Will be TV and Alexa, for gym and me sitting on a bench probably to watch tele when the footy is on lol
Nvidia Shield TV Pro
Alexa
PS4

Our main movies will be the lounge with family. Both rooms have a Pioneer KRP500A. Want Dolby Atmos in both if possible, hence the HDMI 2.1 via the AVR. Basically, always want everything! In future, the AVR will be in the lounge, just a question if I get one now or later in year.

This does affect which colour Beam 2 I get, and what room I put it in, for now. Ultimately, the Beam 2 in future will go to the Gym /Room 2, as the lounge will be high power with DF Multi in the centre of it.

Attachments

• Xstyle AVF 01.jpg
    Xstyle AVF 01.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I think the Beam 2 is going to go in the Gym room to start with, which can easily be changed to a White TV bezel and wall mounted. #undecided!!

Both background walls are white, so I'm thinking that white, maybe. In short-term it'd be black. Sonos need to provide interchangeable covers for ditherers like me! 🤣

Attachments

• White Pioneer KRP500A on stand.jpg
    White Pioneer KRP500A on stand.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Black Pioneer KRP500A on stand.jpg
    Black Pioneer KRP500A on stand.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Gym, work in progress.jpg
    Gym, work in progress.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Xstyle Lounge at Jan 2022.jpg
    Xstyle Lounge at Jan 2022.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Hi, looking at Sonos Beam Gen2. Current set up Sky Q and LG55C8. Any users on here using this set up with Sonos Beam. Read some lip sync issues. Anything else to feedback on, recommended set up with this LG C8TV?

I think the Beam 2 is going to go in the Gym room to start with, which can easily be changed to a White TV bezel and wall mounted. #undecided!!

Both background walls are white, so I'm thinking that white, maybe. In short-term it'd be black. Sonos need to provide interchangeable covers for ditherers like me! 🤣
I've just bought the White Beam 2 and official wall mount... with HDFury Arcana too.

Hi, looking at Sonos Beam Gen2. Current set up Sky Q and LG55C8. Any users on here using this set up with Sonos Beam. Read some lip sync issues. Anything else to feedback on, recommended set up with this LG C8TV?
I have the same setup (LG55E8 which is the same apart from the glass surround) I have absolutely no lip sync issues. My Beam 2 replaced a Beam 1 , speech and soundstage has noticeably improved. Dolby Atmos on Netflix sounds great!

So I went with this and two One SL’s as rears in the end, is there any point having the beam connected to Ethernet if you’ve enabled Wi-Fi?

Can you have the beam connected to Ethernet and the rears as Wi-Fi?

I am brand new to Sonos and it sounds great so far, I’m using trueplay and wondered if there is any benefit to not using it?

Also is there a guide for optimal setting for PS5, XBOX Series X, AppleTV and LG C1?

So I went with this and two One SL’s as rears in the end, is there any point having the beam connected to Ethernet if you’ve enabled Wi-Fi?

Can you have the beam connected to Ethernet and the rears as Wi-Fi?

I am brand new to Sonos and it sounds great so far, I’m using trueplay and wondered if there is any benefit to not using it?

Also is there a guide for optimal setting for PS5, XBOX Series X, AppleTV and LG C1?
I am a believer in using ethernet whenever possible. Having done that keep wifi enabled as the beam with communicate with the surrounds by wifi.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom