Sonos Beam Gen 2 - Dolby Atmos

BigTelHols

No probs, one thing I don’t like with my limited experience of Sonos products is the volume control display on the tv I would have preferred it to be numbers 1-100 instead of -&+. That to me would have been a better indication of where the levels at.
Both my setups are 1-100. Sony XH9505 with Beam V2 and Sony XF and Arc.

snooper

If you discount the Sonos and use the TV internal speakers and adjust the volume what on screen display do you get?
Numbers are displayed but doin a quick google it seems to be the same prob on some tv’s with Sonos products, but no idea why.

BigTelHols

Numbers are displayed but doin a quick google it seems to be the same prob on some tv’s with Sonos products, but no idea why.
Strange, I get numbers with both the internal speakers and Sonos kit. Wonder why it differs. Are you using HDMI Arc/e-ARC or optical?

snooper

I’m using a Beam Gen 2 and a JZ1500 also. I only get + & - on screen too for the volume. It works fine but I’d much prefer a number or volume bar.

On e-ARC also.
Must be tv specific then so nowt we can do about it then. Been using the beam more the last few days & its an excellent piece of kit, way bigger soundstage than what it looks capable of size wise for watching films on. I am not disappointed at all that I swapped the arc for it tbh.

UMAR 3:16

Must be tv specific then so nowt we can do about it then. Been using the beam more the last few days & its an excellent piece of kit, way bigger soundstage than what it looks capable of size wise for watching films on. I am not disappointed at all that I swapped the arc for it tbh.
I did the same thing.

snooper

I did the same thing.
After more enjoyable listening to the beam it’s amazing the soundstage it does for such a small unit. It’s frequency range really is excellent am well impressed with it tbh. I still don’t really get a feeling of sound width though or any real height effects, but what it does it does really well.

After more enjoyable listening to the beam it’s amazing the soundstage it does for such a small unit. It’s frequency range really is excellent am well impressed with it tbh. I still don’t really get a feeling of sound width though or any real height effects, but what it does it does really well.
Add the surrounds for even better immersion! And a the sub for more impact, although it’s a lot of money for the sub. If you can get it from here it might be worth it, would not pay full price for one.

snooper

Add the surrounds for even better immersion! And a the sub for more impact, although it’s a lot of money for the sub. If you can get it from here it might be worth it, would not pay full price for one.
I can’t as the room layout won’t allow it as the furniture is up against a rear wall with the tv on opposite wall. I would consider trying the smaller sonos sub though if it appears sometime as rumours persist about it doing so. I don’t want more bass, the beam is adequate for the room, but maybe to free up the beam from doing everything.

I can’t as the room layout won’t allow it as the furniture is up against a rear wall with the tv on opposite wall. I would consider trying the smaller sonos sub though if it appears sometime as rumours persist about it doing so. I don’t want more bass, the beam is adequate for the room, but maybe to free up the beam from doing everything.
Yes the sub breathes new life into the beam.

snooper

I hope those prices are wrong £350-£400 would be better as I don’t think everyone wants earth shattering bass, just a bit of oomph to free up their beam/arc to open up a bit as it won’t be handling the LFE’s anymore. Or is this just me!

Last edited:

WarHog

Anybody here using the bracket to mount their Beam Gen 2 to their TV mount? Looking to get a Beam when my new TV arrives this weekend and will need to find a suitable pedestal stand to fit the Beam bracket to..

WSSBM1_B1_0.jpg

Beany31

Distinguished Member
Is the gen 2 beam much of an upgrade over gen 1? I have just bought the Samsung 65 qn90b so now finally have e-arc. I have play 1 surrounds no sub

Is the gen 2 beam much of an upgrade over gen 1? I have just bought the Samsung 65 qn90b so now finally have e-arc. I have play 1 surrounds no sub
Short answer, yes. It’s certainly a more expansive sound.

Toying with the upgrade as have the upgrade offer of 15% off through Sonos currently
Go for it! It’s an awesome bit of kit! Especially with the surrounds added. The sub is amazing too but bloody expensive! I’d recommend the surrounds over the sub in the first instance.

WarHog

Could do with some help connecting my Sonos Beam Gen 2 to Alexa please, I cant get Amazon Music to play via my voice control.

Edit - Sorted it now, although the Sonos skill was already showing in my Alexa app as enabled, I clicked on 'disable' and then enabled it again, seems to be working now.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand