Sonos Beam Gen 2 - Dolby Atmos

stephentw

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me if the Sonos Beam Gen 2 will work without access to the app once it has been initially setup? I understand the app is essential for initial setup but can a TV remote control everything once initial setup is done?

Mr X

Distinguished Member
I have recently fitted a Sony 48A9 TV to our new kitchen dinner extension in the snug part. I am considering a Beam 2 to give some clearer sound as the tv seems to get lost in the vaulted ceilings space. I may add rears and sub at some point, but as you can see from my signature I have a fairly decent ATMOS setup in the lounge.

I have lots of Sonos speakers already, but my question is can you play music through the Beam 2 in tandem with any other Sonos speaker like Normal? If I add rears or a sub or both, can i play my NAS and Streamed music to all speakers? I.e. will music play at the Beam, Sub and rears even if playing a stereo source?

Yep. You won’t have problem.

Emick81

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me if the Sonos Beam Gen 2 will work without access to the app once it has been initially setup? I understand the app is essential for initial setup but can a TV remote control everything once initial setup is done?
You can control the volume with your TV remote if you connect it to the (E)ARC port of your tv.

Finetuning the sound has to be done trough the app. But once your are satisfied with your settings you don't have to bother with the app.

stephentw

Thanks, could there be a point where something goes wrong and the app is required? It's for an elderly parent who doesn't have a smart phone so I can set it up initially, will it be ok or should we look at a less "smart" soundbar? They don't have any other sonos products, just looking at this as it's well reviewed.

Emick81

Thanks, could there be a point where something goes wrong and the app is required? It's for an elderly parent who doesn't have a smart phone so I can set it up initially, will it be ok or should we look at a less "smart" soundbar? They don't have any other sonos products, just looking at this as it's well reviewed.
I only own the Beam Gen 2 for a about 2 weeks so I can' t really say if you can run into problems.
I have disconnected it yesterday for a few hours and it just worked after plugging it in the Arc port again.

Not having a smartphone is not an ideal situation of course.
You can also wonder what it is that that elderly parent wants out of the soundbar.
If it is just to improve the presence of Dialogs you can achieve that with Cheaper alternatives.
The Beam 2 might even be a little overwhelming in that regard. It has a very impressive detailed soundstage.

On topic in general:
Today I had my father come to my house with his Ipad to run the true play configuration.
I felt like like a big nerd scanning the room and walls with his Ipad. That feeling went away very fast after Calibration. We ran some Dolby Atmos demos on youtube and we were Blown away by the directional sound that the Beam produced. Much better than without Calibration.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
App update and software update.

Screenshot_20220419-163511.png

UMAR 3:16

Has anyone adjusted the height audio on the Beam 2? any difference/recommendation for settings?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Has anyone adjusted the height audio on the Beam 2? any difference/recommendation for settings?
Keep it level otherwise you will have imbalances. For example I turned up the heights and forgot I did and as a result the football commentator was in the distance.

mike7

IKEA now appear to have ceased production of their SONUS/IKEA Symphonisk units which were a lower cost alternative as rear speakers. There may be some residual stock around but its now listed as "last chance to buy".

Last edited:

snooper

Just got my beam gen 2, swapped for an arc which was too big for my room. Just tinkering but sounds a lot bigger than it looks tbh on initial listening & am quite impressed. How do you switch off spotify if listening on the beam? Can’t seem to find an answer on how too or if you can. Thanks prob 1st of many question as well.

steve51

Just got my beam gen 2, swapped for an arc which was too big for my room. Just tinkering but sounds a lot bigger than it looks tbh on initial listening & am quite impressed. How do you switch off spotify if listening on the beam? Can’t seem to find an answer on how too or if you can. Thanks prob 1st of many question as well.
If you don’t mind me asking how do you find the atmos effect compared to actual upfiring speakers of the arc?

snooper

If you don’t mind me asking how do you find the atmos effect compared to actual upfiring speakers of the arc?
I have literally tried it for ten minutes I will come back to you when used it more. Tbh I didn’t really get any height effects from the arc, could be my room acoustics or layout though. So not really expecting full height effects from this eithe.

steve51

I have literally tried it for ten minutes I will come back to you when used it more. Tbh I didn’t really get any height effects from the arc, could be my room acoustics or layout though. So not really expecting full height effects from this eithe.
Thanks

kiran_mk2

IKEA now appear to have ceased production of their SONUS/IKEA Symphonisk units which were a lower cost alternative as rear speakers. There may be some residual stock around but its now listed as "last chance to buy".
There are second generation versions of all the Symfonisk speakers (bookshelf and lamp). I guess the microchip shortage has meant there is insufficient availability for the whole world. The reason they have listed the Symfonisk sets in the UK as 'last chance to buy' is because the first gen stocks are running out and the Gen 2 models haven't launched in the UK yet.

snooper

watched a couple of episodes of the Mandalorian on Disney & tbh didn’t really get much of the atmos effects & I didn’t do on the arc either. It’s prob my viewing location or the room though. For its size the beam is good but the impact of the arc is a lot more forceful if you get what I mean. If I would have had a bigger room I would have kept the arc tbh, but it was too big for it. I notice the latest updates include beam height effects adjustment has anyone played around with it & had any success?

steve51

watched a couple of episodes of the Mandalorian on Disney & tbh didn’t really get much of the atmos effects & I didn’t do on the arc either. It’s prob my viewing location or the room though. For its size the beam is good but the impact of the arc is a lot more forceful if you get what I mean. If I would have had a bigger room I would have kept the arc tbh, but it was too big for it. I notice the latest updates include beam height effects adjustment has anyone played around with it & had any success?
Thanks for the honest review, I think with all these sound solutions it depends on the size and layout of the room, plus the room you have to put the soundbar on. My current q800a has ipfiring and I have the rears as well but can’t say I get much atmos effect so maybe try the arc or beam with the one sl as rears

snooper

No probs, one thing I don’t like with my limited experience of Sonos products is the volume control display on the tv I would have preferred it to be numbers 1-100 instead of -&+. That to me would have been a better indication of where the levels at.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen