Sonos Beam Gen 2 - Dolby Atmos

AdderNoir

I am a believer in using ethernet whenever possible. Having done that keep wifi enabled as the beam with communicate with the surrounds by wifi.

When I switched the beam to Ethernet it lost connection to the surrounds?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
When I switched the beam to Ethernet it lost connection to the surrounds?
Turn power off and on again. I have my Arc on Ethernet and surrounds by WiFi. They were all on WiFi to start with. There were no issues connecting Ethernet. It was automatically recognised in seconds.

BartS

I have the same setup (LG55E8 which is the same apart from the glass surround) I have absolutely no lip sync issues. My Beam 2 replaced a Beam 1 , speech and soundstage has noticeably improved. Dolby Atmos on Netflix sounds great!
Thanks Harvey, so Beam 2 into LG TV (HDMI 2 Arc) with Sky Q into HDMI1 and then adjust TV settings ?

Xstyle

I finally have my Beam 2, using it at the moment on HDMI from Beam to Optical input into the TV, which is a Pioneer Kuro.
Actually tried it on two similar screens, in different rooms. Stereo PCM on TV at all times.

1st one was compared to 2x 18W Pioneer SR03 TV speakers, which are actually very good units, in a smaller room with probably sub-par acoustics due to the rubber gym floor and laminate.
The difference was very noticeable, straight out the box with no tuning. Immediately I picked up the treble but also the depfh of lower tones into bass.
I watched Enola Holmes opening credits several times on Netflix, intermittently switching between both sets of speakers.
Amazon Music Ultra HD was out of this world.

2nd test was in the main room, larger, first without IOS tuning, then next day with it.
Sonos Beam 2 vs Artcoustic DF Multi, both out of the TV on stereo again.
There was a slight improvement when IOS tuned obviously. What I came to realise that the Beam 2 in a larger room just was not loud enough, especially by itself with no surrounds or a sub. Bearing in mind I am unable to disable by TV speakers without pulling the cables out, I was limited to the volume limits via the Sonos app, with my TV being muted intermittently to compare. For music obviously I could go much higher. My TV volume comparison vs the max of the Beam was level 28, when on the TV with the Artcoustic DF Multi (7 speaker array soundbar) I would normally go to 30 or 35 for movies, with around 22-25 for normal ish viewing. The Artcoustic has a much wider soundstage, and also highlighted more of the background noises more, whereas the Beam2 focused on the central sound and dialogue a whole lot more so was more prominent. It was clear the sound was coming from the front/centre, it was crystal clear. Obviously lacked the depth of the Artcoustic too. This was maybe an unfair comparison, with both speakers obviously underpowered!! Movies tested were Enola Holmes again for fair comparison and Into The SpiderVerse, with a brief peek at The Witcher.
Amazon Music in both rooms was simply amazing, also working with Alexa very well.

I get the HDFury Arcana soon, so can't wait to test out properly!

~ Xstyle

Attachments

• IMG_20220109_000225.jpg
    IMG_20220109_000225.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20220109_000318.jpg
    IMG_20220109_000318.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20220109_004142.jpg
    IMG_20220109_004142.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220108_223344.jpg
    IMG_20220108_223344.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20220108_222607.jpg
    IMG_20220108_222607.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 70

kcabhead

Hi all, anyone else having sound drop outs with there Beam 2?
Not sure if its with the beam or connection my new Oled Panasonic TV, but its also just stopped altogether sometimes and needed a reboot?

bigjb

Distinguished Member
Currently running with a Panasonic TX58 , atv 4K and 2 OG HomePods.

Now considering changing to a Sonos Beam 2 although the tv only has hdmi arc and doesn’t have atmos.

Has anyone made the change from a similar set up and was there much difference in sound quality.

I’m presuming I won’t get atmos with the setup unless I also add a Fury Arcana.

MrClark1000

Novice Member
Currently running with a Panasonic TX58 , atv 4K and 2 OG HomePods.

Now considering changing to a Sonos Beam 2 although the tv only has hdmi arc and doesn’t have atmos.

Has anyone made the change from a similar set up and was there much difference in sound quality.

I’m presuming I won’t get atmos with the setup unless I also add a Fury Arcana.
I get Atmos with Fire TV Cube but only in Disney+ as I guess it doesn't check the Fire TV OS flag for TV having Atmos or not.

Can't speak for other TV boxes.

The Hack

My Beam 2 and Sub occasionally needs a reboot (once every 2 or 3 weeks), so not really a problem. LG OLED E6V TV. HDMI Arc but not eArc. I love the sound even though I don't get the benefit of Atmos yet.

Dirtschmooz

i’ve gone for this today. Looking forward to giving it a try. I have an old avr/speaker set up in a 3.0.1 set up. If no better will return

Xstyle

I get the HDFury Arcana soon, so can't wait to test out properly!
~ Xstyle
I have the Arcana!!!!
WOW! This is a MAJOR upgrade and enhancement in sound and importantly the volume!!!!!! Its 10 times louder.
I need to test it properly during the day for this reason.

The Sonos App has been showing 2 different audio versions for the same programme, The Witcher on Netflix via Shield Pro 2019.
1) DD Plus 2.0
2) DD Plus 5.1
I've restarted all devices, now showing 5.1 currently...

How can I get it to play Atmos instead?

Last edited:

Xstyle

That has ATMOS added (well DD+ does)

DD without the plus is 5.1 and no Atmos
Thank you!! It sounds soooo amazing!!!!!!!
It's a MAJOR difference.
I even played Asphalt 8 on the Shield (not recommended really as phone is way better for control!) and whilst in Stereo PCM was also decent enough.

I will try the Beam 2 in the larger room now with the Arcana on same TV. I like the fact that the Arcana can disable the TV speakers as an option.

Edgie70

What is this Arcana you're using
I have the Arcana!!!!
WOW! This is a MAJOR upgrade and enhancement in sound and importantly the volume!!!!!! Its 10 times louder.
I need to test it properly during the day for this reason.

The Sonos App has been showing 2 different audio versions for the same programme, The Witcher on Netflix via Shield Pro 2019.
1) DD Plus 2.0
2) DD Plus 5.1
I've restarted all devices, now showing 5.1 currently...

How can I get it to play Atmos instead?

Edgie70

HDFury Arcana:

I'm waiting for the HDMI Switch he mentions by Roofull to come that allows 5 input devices (not that I actually need it in the current room, but will next door)

Thanks , just wondering if I'll notice any difference , I have a TV with arc ( not earc ) and sky+ hd only , maximum is Dolby digital 5.1 on there , plus my beam gen 2

Xstyle

I watched Kodi movies on DD Plus 2.0, so 'Into The Spiderverse' . It was exceptional.
Also Match of The Day on iPlayer in DDP 2.0 and was nice.

The Netflix stuff via Shield at DDP 5.1 was better still, but not that much difference to the DDP 2.0 I think. If I watched the same program on both audio outputs then maybe that would be a better comparison. Anything is way better than the eARC to Optical cable which is PCM Stereo!!

I haven't yet tried it in the lounge.

Edgie70

I watched Kodi movies on DD Plus 2.0, so 'Into The Spiderverse' . It was exceptional.
Also Match of The Day on iPlayer in DDP 2.0 and was nice.

The Netflix stuff via Shield at DDP 5.1 was better still, but not that much difference to the DDP 2.0 I think. If I watched the same program on both audio outputs then maybe that would be a better comparison. Anything is way better than the eARC to Optical cable which is PCM Stereo!!

I haven't yet tried it in the lounge.
DD plus 2.0 ?? Dolby digital is 5.1 so how can you have DD plus 2.0 ??? 2.0 is surely stereo ?? But I'm no expert .....

fryman

Standard Member
I have recently come out of a fairly decent 5.1 set up, and as I have already got Sonos in the house, and after reading up, I have settled on the Beam Gen 2, all of which make my wife very happy… ( especially losing the 5.1 )
Can you help with best way to connect my existing kit, to get the best out of it until I upgrade my TV?

So my Panasonic TX-58AX802B has one arc hdmi that supports 4K, out of the other 3 standard, only one is arc.
The majority of viewing is by Sky Q, then a 4K Firestick, and the occasional BluRay/4kUHD disc.

I know there will be a compromise on certain AV quality, and I don’t want to have the additional expanse of Arcana, plus my screen is wall mounted.
Thinking SkyQ to the 4K Arc, and the Beam off the other Arc, other kit via std hdmi?

Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-M20xBT wireless headphones