Sonos Beam Gen 2 - Dolby Atmos

BigTelHols

Smaller and cheaper sub would be nice for those who struggle with paying £645 for a sub for a £400 soundbar OR don't have space for an ARC.
Agreed, £400 subwoofer should pair nicely with a Beam or even as part of a stereo set of speakers to add some bass to your music.

Edgie70

Ok guys , I need an opinion before I pull the trigger , I'm about to buy the Sonos beam gen 2 and 2 Sonos one SL surround speakers !
Compared to my 2 channel Yamaha Yas 306 this has gotta sound way better even if I just use optical ??

rb5201

I've had my beam 2 almost since it came out. No matter what I do I can't seem to get it loud enough unless I turn it up to nearly max. Normal TV speakers would be OK at about 20-25, but to get the beam I have to crank to to at least 50-60. Have just run tru play ro see if it improves things, but currently it doesn't seem to pack as much punch as my other sound bar, samsung 850.
Any thoughts?
Currently got ot into TV are and then ps5 to a standard hdmi port. Is this the best way to go?

Thanks.

BigTelHols

I've had my beam 2 almost since it came out. No matter what I do I can't seem to get it loud enough unless I turn it up to nearly max. Normal TV speakers would be OK at about 20-25, but to get the beam I have to crank to to at least 50-60. Have just run tru play ro see if it improves things, but currently it doesn't seem to pack as much punch as my other sound bar, samsung 850.
Any thoughts?
Currently got ot into TV are and then ps5 to a standard hdmi port. Is this the best way to go?

Thanks.
How big is the room you are using the Beam? I've got a Beam V2 in a bedroom (4.3m X 2.7m) and it goes more than loud enough for me. My volume level does vary depending on the content I'm watching, but I've never felt it was wanting. I do have it paired with a subwoofer and Play 1's though.

rb5201

Hi. Room is similar size. Watched red notice on Netflix last night and it was much better, hawk eye on disney plus was terrible. Only have the beam, no sub or 1s

Edgie70

Hi. Room is similar size. Watched red notice on Netflix last night and it was much better, hawk eye on disney plus was terrible. Only have the beam, no sub or 1s
I noticed on my old soundbar that watching sky+ hd the volume was always low ! And had to crank it right up . I've just bought the beam gen 2 and it's in a 13ft X 13ft room and it's connected via HDMI and even now through sky+ hd it goes really loud , I would reset the bar and try it again

Thronar

I'm running this in a slightly smaller room than yours and the volume is very loud without even breaking the 50% mark. Though I have found when I decode DTS:HD to output as Multichanel PCM on my Blu-Ray player the volume needs to be about 20 higher than Dolby 5.1 or Atmos to get a similar volume level so the source material and what format it's decoding could be a factor.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Hi all , can I ask you beam gen 2 owners , as it's connected via HDMI is it possible to listen to the TVs speakers rather than the beam ? Wife doesn't want to listen to the beam all the time .
On all the Sonos equipment I own, even if you select TV speakers the Sonos force back to their own speakers. Only way to not use Sonos speakers is to turn them off at the wall.

pborojon

I’m using the Beam gen 2 with Symfonisk Frames and Sub gen 3 connected to an Apple TV 4K 2021 and an LG CX. Whilst watching Now TV every so often stereo pcm content will echo through the rear speakers. If I disable and then enable surround audio it fixes it but it will come back intermittently. Sonos say it’s the Apple TV but it didn’t happen on my old 5.1 setup. Anyone else have this issue?

Edgie70

Been using the beam for about 10 days now and it's good but I have this weird issue , after a couple of days the sound jitters for a few seconds then it's ok for a couple of days , then it does it again ! So far it's done it 3 times !! Only using it via HDMI arc .

kcabhead

Hello folks, I do love my Sonos speakers...but why is it always a complete ball ache sometimes getting them to talk to each other!!!!
I have the new beam gen 2 and cannot get the two ones to connect for surround, just get the "two compatible speakers are required' message!
All speakers appear in the system, all work individually, all will group together just not as surrounds, its doing my nut in:mad:!
Tried resetting,unplugging,rebooting,delete the app, install the app...next is launching them out the window unless any of you fine folk can put me right...pretty please 🙏

Edgie70

Hello folks, I do love my Sonos speakers...but why is it always a complete ball ache sometimes getting them to talk to each other!!!!
I have the new beam gen 2 and cannot get the two ones to connect for surround, just get the "two compatible speakers are required' message!
All speakers appear in the system, all work individually, all will group together just not as surrounds, its doing my nut in:mad:!
Tried resetting,unplugging,rebooting,delete the app, install the app...next is launching them out the window unless any of you fine folk can put me right...pretty please 🙏
Did you give each speaker a different room , then add them as surrounds

jabei

Standard Member
Hi all

I'm looking to get a Beam 2 specifically for the Atmos capability as I don't have room for multiple speakers. I read in a review somewhere that the TV has to have eARC HDMI but mine doesn't seem to have that although it does say that it has Atmos passthrough. The question is, will the Beam receive the Atmos signal without the eARC?

The tv is JVC 32ca790

Any help gratefully received

chris6996

Standard Member
I have had my gen two since launch and on the whole I am very happy with it. However, the atmos affect is completely lost in my front room, I was wondering how others are getting on with their virtual atmos?

Steve1987

Any tips on setup or EQ settings?

Had ours for a few days now but really struggling to get the sound right. I've done the True Tuning thing with an iphone and been playing with EQ settings and other enhancements on / off but dialogue just sounds incredibly harsh to me, almost hissy and metallic. S sounds in particular are grating.

I'm hoping its just the speakers needing a bit of time to settle and add some warmth but I'm really struggling to see why the Beam is so highly recommended at the moment. The lack of EQ presets is also a pain as I'll find some settings that sound good for a movie but then sounds wrong for general tv viewing, news etc.

Last edited:

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Any tips on setup or EQ settings?

Had ours for a few days now but really struggling to get the sound right. I've done the True Tuning thing with an iphone and been playing with EQ settings and other enhancements on / off but dialogue just sounds incredibly harsh to me, almost hissy and metallic. S sounds in particular are grating.

I'm hoping its just the speakers needing a bit of time to settle and add some warmth but I'm really struggling to see why the Beam is so highly recommended at the moment. The lack of EQ presets is also a pain as I'll find some settings that sound good for a movie but then sounds wrong for general tv viewing, news etc.
I had this with my Beam and Arc at first. My advice would be to not use Loudness as that increases speech, keep speech enhancement off and lower Treble a click or two.

But it definitely settled down for me to the point I now have treble in the + and I couldn't before.

Steve1987

I had this with my Beam and Arc at first. My advice would be to not use Loudness as that increases speech, keep speech enhancement off and lower Treble a click or two.

But it definitely settled down for me to the point I now have treble in the + and I couldn't before.

Knocking the treble down has helped a bit but still doesn't sound great. Think our Youview box has the same lip sync issue that those with sky complain about as well which is a shame as the tv supports eArc and autosync.

Do you think your beam sounds better now or have you just got used to it? Hopefully this one will improve in time.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Knocking the treble down has helped a bit but still doesn't sound great. Think our Youview box has the same lip sync issue that those with sky complain about as well which is a shame as the tv supports eArc and autosync.

Do you think your beam sounds better now or have you just got used to it? Hopefully this one will improve in time.
I think it sounds better now as does the Arc we have in living room. Almost like it has bedded in.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony confirms UK pricing for A90K and A75K Bravia XR 4K OLED TVs
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More