Sonos Beam: Dual Audio connection to TV (ARC) & 4K Projector

dom1h

Novice Member
Hey! I really hope some of you kind people can help me please? In Spain, moving to a new house, having lots of building work done, so have the opportunity to future proof the cabling.. My issue is a have a ViewSonic 4K Projector, a fairly std Samsung 65" TV and want to upgrade to a Sonos Beam, from my old, surprisingly ok & faithful Philips Soundbar. 95% of viewing will be on the TV, however, I cant figure out how to switch the audio when I want to use the projector. I have bough a cheap Chinese 1 in 4 out HDMI switch, as 80% of my viewing is IPTV (not terrestrial or cable connection), so will use that to switch the picture from the IPTV box to either source, however, I want to connect the TV via ARC to the Beam and cant see how I can connect both? Help greatly appreciated if you can please guys or girls? Thank you!

outoftheknow

The Beam has no other inputs AFAIK- all must be plugged into and come from the TV ARC

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The HDFury Vertex2 would be ideal - 4 x HDMI Inputs, 2 x HDMI Outputs (with individual scaling if required), 1 x HDMI Audio Output and supports ARC so easy enough to toggle between any of your external Source devices or the TV audio.

You connect your Source devices to the Vertex2 and that will allow you to pass 4K to the Projector plus down convert to 1080p for the legacy Display plus HDMI audio out to the BEAM or Optical Out to the BEAM optical adapter.

Joe

dom1h

Novice Member
Thank you so much for your response AOTK. Do you or does anyone else know if I can use a switch to accept both the tv & the projector ARC, or can you recommend another updated quality, if not audiophile quality sound bar which would accept a 3.5mm jack or similar suitable audio input? Thanks again
The HDFury Vertex2 would be ideal - 4 x HDMI Inputs, 2 x HDMI Outputs (with individual scaling if required), 1 x HDMI Audio Output and supports ARC so easy enough to toggle between any of your external Source devices or the TV audio.

You connect your Source devices to the Vertex2 and that will allow you to pass 4K to the Projector plus down convert to 1080p for the legacy Display plus HDMI audio out to the BEAM or Optical Out to the BEAM optical adapter.

Joe
Hey Joe! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! This looks like the perfect product for my requirements, however, my set up is very modest and the cost of the new HDMI switch is around the same as the new sound bar, which is beyond what I consider a sensible budget for my meagre set up!

However I had this thought after thinking about it a lot and would really value your opinion please?

So if I link the ARC from my tv with a 1m HDMI cable and add an HDMI coupler on the end, I could attach an additional 1m HDMI cable to the port of the Beam. Join these cables with the coupler, I am guessing should work fine, only a short length, so the signal should not noticeably degrade affecting picture quality..

As I said, I am 80% IPTV + Netflix/Amazon. I am going to run the IPTV box into a cheap Chinese 1in 4out HDMI switchbox, so one HDMI out will go to the TV - all good I hope! & one to the projector to provide the picture, I then thought I could use a 3rd HDMI cable to link to the beam, by means of un-connecting the coupled connection with the tv, this giving the projector a sound source direct to the Beam. It'd be a but basic and manual, but it would also be inexpensive. I am building a false wall, so could quite easily build in concealed access to the HDMI coupler..

What do you think? :0)

dom1h

Novice Member
Thank you so much for your response AOTK. Do you or does anyone else know if I can use a switch to accept both the tv & the projector ARC, or can you recommend another updated quality, if not audiophile quality sound bar which would accept a 3.5mm jack or similar suitable audio input? Thanks again

Hey Joe! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! This looks like the perfect product for my requirements, however, my set up is very modest and the cost of the new HDMI switch is around the same as the new sound bar, which is beyond what I consider a sensible budget for my meagre set up!

However I had this thought after thinking about it a lot and would really value your opinion please?

So if I link the ARC from my tv with a 1m HDMI cable and add an HDMI coupler on the end, I could attach an additional 1m HDMI cable to the port of the Beam. Join these cables with the coupler, I am guessing should work fine, only a short length, so the signal should not noticeably degrade affecting picture quality..

As I said, I am 80% IPTV + Netflix/Amazon. I am going to run the IPTV box into a cheap Chinese 1in 4out HDMI switchbox, so one HDMI out will go to the TV - all good I hope! & one to the projector to provide the picture, I then thought I could use a 3rd HDMI cable to link to the beam, by means of un-connecting the coupled connection with the tv, this giving the projector a sound source direct to the Beam. It'd be a but basic and manual, but it would also be inexpensive. I am building a false wall, so could quite easily build in concealed access to the HDMI coupler..

What do you think? :0)
Oh, and I guess if I want to use Netflix etc on the projector, I have to unplug the chromecast from the projector and directly into the HDMI switch..?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom