Question Sonos Beam connectivity

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by smiffy333, Jul 18, 2018.

1. smiffy333

smiffy333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Received the Beam and first impressions are very good lot better sound than the TV and the usual Sonos experience.

However it looks like I’m not going to be able to use it how I thought just connecting the hdmi from the Sky Q mini box to the TV and then the ARC hdmi output from the TV to the Beam.
    The tv a Panasonic WT50 doesn’t appear to support Dolby on the hdmi inputs so it can’t pass it through to the Sonos just stereo.

The other option which does work is to feed the optical from the Sky Q mini to the Sonos but the issue then is controlling the volume. The harmony remote doesn’t pick up the beam from a Wi-Fi scan which would have meant I could set up an activity so at the moment it has to be using the app or Alexa which is already becoming tiresome.

2. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Is there not a setup option within the sonos app when using a remote control and optical connection? Thought there was.

The other issue is you will only get sound through Sky Q in that setup, no other devices or internal apps on the TV will output via Sonos.

If you are using just the beam is dolby digital that crucial? If you're using surrounds sure, but the beam alone, I'd have thought stereo would be fine?