Sonos Beam and Play speakers. A question....

ittim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm trying to declutter a bit and i'm making some changes to my setup. However i'm horribly out of touch with everything so need a bit of advice really.

Currently in my living room I have 2 play 1 speakers as a stereo pair. I have an Ehco dot which doesn't really work very well with the speakers.
We also have a 40" Samsung LED TV which is not connected to anything to output audio.

Now, I'm thinking about getting Sky Q (with cashback deals its not a bad price) and that got me thinking about maximising the audio i get from the TV. However I don't want to much clutter about so I was thinking about the following....

1. Selling my 2 x Play 1 speaker and getting rid of the Echo Dot.
2. Replace with the Sonos Beam

Seems simple enough but i'm unsure if the audio from one Sonos beam will be comparable to Play Ones split accross the room. I still want to have a pretty immersive experience when listening to music.

Maybe it doesn't even need to be Sonos? Is there something better?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

FWIW I have a Beam & 2 Play:1 that I use as rear speakers, I don't have anything to compare it to but sounds good to me (Although Netflix can be a bit hit & miss with 5.1 output)

Do you think the Beam on its own would be comparable to the two play ones?

The beam will probably be OK on its own but if you have a read around then having two rears as well makes a big difference..
We also have a 40" Samsung LED TV which is not connected to anything to output audio.
Plug the TV into the Beam (HDMI or Optical)

Do you need to arrange the play ones in a particular way with a Soundbar in the mix or does it not really matter?

Using the Sonos App, the TV links to the Beam & then the ones link up aswell, its basically magic.
Everything all links up & sound comes from whichever speaker is required.
It will also still play your music no problems

Cool, I was just worried that music might sound odd if you're not listening in a conventional Stereo setup. Presumably if could also play CD's via my DVD player then?

If its linked up to the Sonos system, then yes (you might need something like the Sonos Port)

Well there we are... just found an ex demo unit (unsued) for £260 so now i'll be enjoying a third piece of Sonos kit. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom