Sonos Beam Alternatives Sub £600

Reaction score
Hi,

About to build a media wall in the lounge for my 65" Samsung Q85. I currently have a Yamaha YAS306 which I am considering upgrading with a budget of £600.

My wife is dead set against trailing speaker cables so separates is out of the question. I was thinking of going for a Sonos Beam + 2x IKEA bookshelf speakers to augment the surround sound experience.

My questions are:

1) Will this be much of an upgrade over my existing soundbar.
2) Are there alternatives I should consider for under £600?

I would go for the Arc and forget the bookshelf speakers, if you need more speakers later on then add some. I think it's around £899, but best to wait when it goes on offer. OR if you can get someone with student discount, they get 15% (or so) off.

Hi,

About to build a media wall in the lounge for my 65" Samsung Q85. I currently have a Yamaha YAS306 which I am considering upgrading with a budget of £600.

My wife is dead set against trailing speaker cables so separates is out of the question. I was thinking of going for a Sonos Beam + 2x IKEA bookshelf speakers to augment the surround sound experience.

My questions are:

Just to offer an alternative view to the poster above, I would personally go with the Beam and the surrounds. I don't agree with his advice at all because, although the Arc is a little better than the Beam obviously, by itself it isn't going to give you the same spacial qualities as having surrounds would.

As you'll know, the 'surround' aspect is one of the best and biggest reasons for upgrading from standard TV speakers. If you just purchased the Arc you're going to miss out on that.

Sorry I can't offer any alternative suggestions though. I'd certainly highly recommend the aforementioned setup though. The Beam and two rears totally transformed my viewing experience.

and of course a Sonos Sub set to BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

Just to offer an alternative view to the poster above, I would personally go with the Beam and the surrounds. I don't agree with his advice at all because, although the Arc is a little better than the Beam obviously, by itself it isn't going to give you the same spacial qualities as having surrounds would.

As you'll know, the 'surround' aspect is one of the best and biggest reasons for upgrading from standard TV speakers. If you just purchased the Arc you're going to miss out on that.

Sorry I can't offer any alternative suggestions though. I'd certainly highly recommend the aforementioned setup though. The Beam and two rears totally transformed my viewing experience
I would agree with this and say go Beam version 2 that supports all the same audio formats as the Arc, IE Atmos and then pair the bar with surrounds, will be cheaper than the Arc and offer a more immersive experience.

Hi,

My questions are:

i will throw my two peneth in, dont buy either, try to listen to a Dali Kubik, it wont give you any faux effects whatsoever, however if you value quality of sound ( clarity, dynamics, timing etc etc) all in one unit, its unbeatable, Richer sounds keep all of them in stock so try to listen befor you buy, good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom