Sonos Beam advice

BigFotherM

Standard Member
Hello all, I’m looking to improve my audio setup because the TV speakers are basically rubbish.

Currently using my PS5 for 4k blu rays and want something that’ll offer decent sound as well.

I have a budget of around £400 so was looking at the Sonos Beam as all the reviews on Sony’s equipment, particularly from people here, seem to be very negative so avoiding them despite a lifetime of usually going with them.

I’m just wondering if the Beam is worth it, the reviews are certainly positive, and if I’ll see a noticeable uptick in quality from getting it.

I was considering pairing it with the Symfonisk speakers from IKEA as I’ve heard good things about those as well, so if anyone has any hands on experience or knowledge to pass on that’d be great.

TLDR; thinking of getting the Sonos Beam for films and want to know if it’s worth it. Cheers!

Timh

Distinguished Member
I’ve been thinking of going for the Bose TV speaker @ £239
I popped into Curry’s for a demo yesterday and it did sound quite nice but not much base.
The Sonos Beam was next to it so I tested that and it blew away the Bose.
Pop into Curry’s and have a demo, I think you will be impressed.

BigFotherM

Standard Member
I’ve been thinking of going for the Bose TV speaker @ £239
I popped into Curry’s for a demo yesterday and it did sound quite nice but not much base.
The Sonos Beam was next to it so I tested that and it blew away the Bose.
Pop into Curry’s and have a demo, I think you will be impressed.
Really that much of a difference? I'll have to try and pop in and test it out, thanks!

BigTelHols

@BigFotherM Sonos doesn't support DTS, so if watching Blu-rays with DTS soundtracks you'll need to convert to Dolby Digital or you'll only get stereo out of a Beam.

I've got two Sonos Beam 5.1 set-ups and a Sonos Arc 5.1 set-up and love them. They sound great with the content I watch (IE streaming services and PS5 and Xbox gaming).

BigFotherM

Standard Member
@BigFotherM Sonos doesn't support DTS, so if watching Blu-rays with DTS soundtracks you'll need to convert to Dolby Digital or you'll only get stereo out of a Beam.

I've got two Sonos Beam 5.1 set-ups and a Sonos Arc 5.1 set-up and love them. They sound great with the content I watch (IE streaming services and PS5 and Xbox gaming).
Interesting, thanks for letting me know. The vast majority of stuff being watched through the PS5 is on apps (Netflix, Amazon etc) and 4k discs so I assume it wouldn't be too much of a problem?

BigTelHols

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. The vast majority of stuff being watched through the PS5 is on apps (Netflix, Amazon etc) and 4k discs so I assume it wouldn't be too much of a problem?
The streaming apps don't use DTS, they use Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital 5.1 or stereo so you'll be fine with them. I watch Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+ and iTunes films and they all work great with Sonos.

I used to use an Xbox One S as my Blu-ray player and it was able to convert DTS soundtracks to Dolby Digital for use with my Sonos Beam. The PS4 was also able to do this also but via the optical port. The PS5 doesn't have an optical port so hopefully it'll just work via the HDMI.

BigFotherM

Standard Member
The streaming apps don't use DTS, they use Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital 5.1 or stereo so you'll be fine with them. I watch Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+ and iTunes films and they all work great with Sonos.

I used to use an Xbox One S as my Blu-ray player and it was able to convert DTS soundtracks to Dolby Digital for use with my Sonos Beam. The PS4 was also able to do this also but via the optical port. The PS5 doesn't have an optical port so hopefully it'll just work via the HDMI.
Here's hoping, in just a couple of replies to this I've fallen down a rabbit hole of sound and set ups with the PS5 I never knew existed!

Girders

Novice Member
Very happy with my Beam plus IKEA speakers. Beam on it's own provides better sound quality but it needs the rears to give any proper attempt at surround sound. Had synch issues watching Sky putting the sound through the TV and into the Beam so had to use optical out from Sky direct to Beam (HDMI from Sky to TV for video). Watch streaming's services through SkyQ rather than TV apps so not a problem but do have to use an optical switch to get sound via TV when using a connected laptop for Zoom etc.

BigFotherM

Standard Member
Very happy with my Beam plus IKEA speakers. Beam on it's own provides better sound quality but it needs the rears to give any proper attempt at surround sound. Had synch issues watching Sky putting the sound through the TV and into the Beam so had to use optical out from Sky direct to Beam (HDMI from Sky to TV for video). Watch streaming's services through SkyQ rather than TV apps so not a problem but do have to use an optical switch to get sound via TV when using a connected laptop for Zoom etc.
Everyone seems to be recommending the Sonos which is interesting. It's basically a toss up between that and the Sony HT-G700 which has excellent reviews but then terrible irl reviews from people, particularly on here. As it's mostly movies and TV being watched, I'm leaning towards the Sony.

Girders

Novice Member
It's basically a toss up between that and the Sony HT-G700 which has excellent reviews but then terrible irl reviews from people, particularly on here. As it's mostly movies and TV being watched, I'm leaning towards the Sony.
As one of those who posted on here about the Sony G700 (after returning it after one day), I'd suggest that if you want to give it a go, you choose your retailer carefully so you'll not have any problems returning if you aren't happy with it.

BigFotherM

Standard Member
As one of those who posted on here about the Sony G700 (after returning it after one day), I'd suggest that if you want to give it a go, you choose your retailer carefully so you'll not have any problems returning if you aren't happy with it.
Yeah I've read a lot of the comments on here and can't work out how the reviews differ so much from real life experiences, those alone make me think that just getting the Beam would be wise to save myself the hassle.

BigTelHols

I've found Sonos kit comparable to Apple kit, they are well packaged and Apple like, they have an eco-system IE Sonos app and play well together. The Sonos kit is expensive but do tend to hold there value. One plus for the Sonos kit, I had a Beam, surrounds and subwoofer, when the Sonos Arc was released I swapped out the Beam for the Arc and moved Beam to another room. Sonos doesn't release a new soundbar every year like the main manufacturers, they support there kit for years.

BigFotherM

Standard Member
I've found Sonos kit comparable to Apple kit, they are well packaged and Apple like, they have an eco-system IE Sonos app and play well together. The Sonos kit is expensive but do tend to hold there value. One plus for the Sonos kit, I had a Beam, surrounds and subwoofer, when the Sonos Arc was released I swapped out the Beam for the Arc and moved Beam to another room. Sonos doesn't release a new soundbar every year like the main manufacturers, they support there kit for years.
These are all major plus points for me. I like the idea of being able to add as I please and connect up. My concern was the Beam would be a bit lacking compared to a more cinema focused bar but that doesn't appear to be the case.

BigTelHols

These are all major plus points for me. I like the idea of being able to add as I please and connect up. My concern was the Beam would be a bit lacking compared to a more cinema focused bar but that doesn't appear to be the case.
I've bought all of my kit reduced, either on Black Friday, Christmas or via eBay (Peter Tyson/Hughes), the ability to buy and add as you go is brilliant. I'm currently looking at swapping out the original Beam I bought for the bedroom with a Sonos Arc, it'll pair up nicely with my Apple TV 4K and provide Dolby Atmos and a wider soundstage and work with the Sonos subwoofer and Play 1 surrounds I already have.

TheViper101

I've got a Beam and whilst it's great there are issues with it if I'm feeding it via my TVs ARC output namely lip sync where the picture and sound don't matchup correctly. With the PS5 I've had to feed it's HDMI to an audio extractor that sends the picture to my TV via another HDMI cable and then has sound going out via an optical cable to a optical switch box that I can feed other devices audio and then this then has an out going to the Beam. It works well but sadly it's not the most elegant solution. The devices I use are below.

Amazon product
Amazon product

BigFotherM

Standard Member
I've got a Beam and whilst it's great there are issues with it if I'm feeding it via my TVs ARC output namely lip sync where the picture and sound don't matchup correctly. With the PS5 I've had to feed it's HDMI to an audio extractor that sends the picture to my TV via another HDMI cable and then has sound going out via an optical cable to a optical switch box that I can feed other devices audio and then this then has an out going to the Beam. It works well but sadly it's not the most elegant solution. The devices I use are below.

Amazon product
Amazon product
That sounds a little worrying given I use the PS5 as the main entertainment system. Is it a known issue with that?

TheViper101

That sounds a little worrying given I use the PS5 as the main entertainment system. Is it a known issue with that?
I would guess so. Seems to be a very common problem with Arc. Although the workaround works. Only thing I lose out on is 120fps and VRR.

That's the biggest issue with SONOS for me. Just one input.

BigFotherM

Standard Member
I would guess so. Seems to be a very common problem with Arc. Although the workaround works. Only thing I lose out on is 120fps and VRR.

That's the biggest issue with SONOS for me. Just one input.
Thanks for making me aware of it, always good to get the bad points too.

UMAR 3:16

I had a beam connected with ps5. No issues what so ever. Excellent soundbar. Changed it for the arc but if I’m being honest sometimes I miss the beam. Not because it’s better than the arc but for the money it’s excellent and love the form factor! Go for it, you don’t like it, return it or sell it you won’t loose much as mentioned they keep their value.

BigFotherM

Standard Member
I had a beam connected with ps5. No issues what so ever. Excellent soundbar. Changed it for the arc but if I’m being honest sometimes I miss the beam. Not because it’s better than the arc but for the money it’s excellent and love the form factor! Go for it, you don’t like it, return it or sell it you won’t loose much as mentioned they keep their value.
Thanks for that, I think I'm pretty sold on it at this point but you've pushed me closer! I can't justify £800 for the Arc sadly, think I'd soon be single 🤣

pcaddy

Nothing wrong with being single :D I have found it has many advantages :D

jakewalsh

I really rate my beam, ive just added two ikea sonos speakers as rear surround sound they were £198 inc brackets for 2

BigFotherM

Standard Member
I really rate my beam, ive just added two ikea sonos speakers as rear surround sound they were £198 inc brackets for 2
Yep, got mine today and can tell a difference straight away from the TV. Looking to add the IKEA as surrounds next hopefully as there's plenty of positive reviews.

BigFotherM

Standard Member
Going to ask this here and see if anyone knows. Have the Beam set up with the PS5 and it's largely been great with the 4ks but occasionally we don't get sound on some because of DTS or whatever the Beam doesn't support. I change the PS5 audio setting to PCM and the in video settings to Bitstream to get around this, but is that the best set up available?

BigTelHols

Going to ask this here and see if anyone knows. Have the Beam set up with the PS5 and it's largely been great with the 4ks but occasionally we don't get sound on some because of DTS or whatever the Beam doesn't support. I change the PS5 audio setting to PCM and the in video settings to Bitstream to get around this, but is that the best set up available?
Not at my PS5 to check, but you'll want to send bitstream audio and select Dolby Digital. Then when playing a 4K Blu-ray, check the player app that the audio is set to bitstream. You should then see Dolby Digital in the Sonos app for audio in to the Beam.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces two new 3LCD laser projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark Audio R5 is Made In England collection launch product
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple unveils MacBook Pros for 2021