Sonos Beam + 2009-era Samsung TV

pantulis

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini connected to my old Samsung TV (Samsung UE40B7020). The audio setup are a pair of Edifier Luna E25.

Intended audio usage is basically listening music from the Mac Mini and also watching movies. I am no audiophile, but I'm happy with the Edifier Luna setup, they sound great to me and fill the room with no issues, even when they are connected to the headphone output of the Mac Mini (so no Bluetooth although that's a possibility).

Now what drives me absolutely mad is watching movies with surround soundtracks. I get myself lost in all the letter soup of acronyms, but I can clearly hear that movies with surround tracks always make me reach to the volume control because the sound effects sound with thunderous volume while the voice lines are subdued.
Guess the reason is listening to 5.1 audio with a 2 speaker set.

I understand substituting the Edifiers with a soundbar would help with this, and the Sonos Beam is on discount these days and seems to fit the bill, also with Alexa, and regular Sonos features which are a plus.

Would the Sonos Beam help me solve it? I'd like to send audio from the Mac Mini to the TV (a 2009 model!) and then use the digital output adapter to send the audio stream to the Sonos Beam. Also I'm reading the Beam does not support Dolby Digital Plus, I can't for the life of me understand is this combo with an older TV without ARC (probably does not support a lot of digital surround formats) because I am not shopping for a soundbar for better volume or audio quality, just to solve the damn dialogues vs booms issue when watching movies from the Mac Mini.

Thanks in advance!

Are you still looking to optimise your system?

It would be good to see how you have the Speakers positioned?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom