Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

thanks both, if I do I need to decide what to ‘lose.’ The PS4 pro is more an issue as it won’t output 4K unless hooked up to hdmi 2 or 3, one of which is the arc.

Wont the PS4 pro work in another port, just without HDR, unless you wanted to use HDR.

This 2 port HDR issue with Sony TVs is one of the main reasons I wanted to move from the A1E to a AG9.

Wont the PS4 pro work in another port, just without HDR, unless you wanted to use HDR.
That would be fine, but I vaguely recollect it not doing 4K either. Which would be a shame.

You can alway set the ATV4K to 5.1 on the settings and let that do the conversion. Unless there is an option on the TV to turn Atmos off, that might force the ATV4K to pick another format automatically.
The ATV is on Auto and I only succeeded in getting 2.0 to Sonos. The material I tried was limited to trailers so I am not totally convinced of maximum potential. Atmos is not selectable with Beam enabled. When pushing DD+ from Sky I get 5.1 on Sonos so it seems ATV is a backwards step on that front.

Another question, all things being equal, an arc will sound better via optical than a play bar?

Another question, all things being equal, an arc will sound better via optical than a play bar?

Should sound better according to people that have heard the ARC.

Im sure your TV is capable of outputting 4k none HDR on all ports as your TV is equipped with HDMI2.0b ports.

Sonos have listed what devices are capable to make it simple. The confusion is coming from the ATV4K as it processes Atmos differently to other sources.

Botton line is to get Atmos from the ATV4k via ARC, your TV needs to support eARC.
Sorry I thought all online streaming services including AppleTV only stream lossy audio formats and passes lossy atmos within Dolby Digital+ which Arc can handle without any issues. Obvioulsy for non streaming services and local media it can't. I use an ATV4K connected to a PanasonicTV, which is connected to an Atmos enabled soundbar via ARC. My soundbar picks up the Atmos singal from the ATV4k without any issues through ARC.

The ATV is on Auto and I only succeeded in getting 2.0 to Sonos. The material I tried was limited to trailers so I am not totally convinced of maximum potential. Atmos is not selectable with Beam enabled. When pushing DD+ from Sky I get 5.1 on Sonos so it seems ATV is a backwards step on that front.

This could be because the ATV4k pushes audio via multichannel LPCM which Sonos products dont support, so the Sonos downs it to 2.0.

If the Sonos ARC doesn't support LPCM then I will not be using a ATV4K. Hopefully either the Sonos ARC will support LPCM multichannel or the new ATV4K that is rumoured to be released this year handles the audio differently.

Sorry I thought all online streaming services including AppleTV only stream lossy audio formats and passes lossy atmos within Dolby Digital+ which Arc can handle without any issues. Obvioulsy for non streaming services and local media it can't. I use an ATV4K connected to a PanasonicTV, which is connected to an Atmos enabled soundbar via ARC. My soundbar picks up the Atmos singal from the ATV4k without any issues through ARC.

The ATV4K's Atmos is different to other devices. It sends lossy Atmos using MAT2.0 which is an uncompressed format too large to sent via ARC. I posted a link a page back of Apples website where it states its not compatible with ARC. Unless you have some other funkary going on.

All Oleds I have owned were not capable of passing Atmos via ATV4k unless it was via eARC or directly connected to the Soundbar.

I am doubting myself as regards this MAT issue now. Is there a free source of MAT on ATV I can experiment with?
I have the GZ1000 connected to a Canton Soundbar 10 (Atmos enabled) My ATV4k is connected to my tv and all the streamed media is sent as DD+ with the lossy Atmos signal which is decoded correctly as atmos via my soundbar. I would imagine the Sonos doing the same.

The ATV4K's Atmos is different to other devices. It uses MAT2.0 which is an uncompressed format too large to sent via ARC. I posted a link a page back of Apples website where it states its not compatible with ARC. Unless you have some other funkary going on.

All Oleds I have owned were not capable of passing Atmos via ATV4k unless it was via eARC or directly connected to the Soundbar.
I have connected the AppleTV directly to the TV as waiting for an update from Canton to enable DV pass through. Trust me I know my set up, there is "no funkary" going on. My ATV4K passes Dolby Atmos to my Canton through Arc. The soundbar displays what signal it has received so it physically shows me on the Soundbar it is playing an atmos encoded soundtrack. Have you tried the Panasonic GZ range, there are an awful amount of Oled's out there now, maybe this just works with the GZ range, I haven't tried it with any others.

I have connected the AppleTV directly to the TV as waiting for an update from Canton to enable DV pass through. Trust me I know my set up, there is "no funkary" going on. My ATV4K passes Dolby Atmos to my Canton through Arc. The soundbar displays what signal it has received so it physically shows me on the Soundbar it is playing an atmos encoded soundtrack.

Just a thought, I wonder if your TV is receiving the ATV4K MAT2.0 Atmos as it should, then your TV is converting it to DD+ and passing it down to your receiver. (This is what I meant by funk-ary, could be unique to your TV)

Your TV is one of not many TVs that processes Atmos direct to play on the TV so I would of thought it would be capable of taking a signal and converting it to DD+ Atmos.

Just a thought, I wonder if your TV is receiving the ATV4K MAT2.0 Atmos as it should, then your TV is converting it to DD+ and passing it down to your receiver. (This is what I meant by funk-ary, could be unique to your TV)

Your TV is one of not many TVs that processes Atmos direct to play on the TV so I would of thought it would be capable of taking a signal and converting it to DD+ Atmos.
That's fair enough and a valid point. I guess I'm lucky picking up this TV then as at the time it wasn't a consideration.

That's fair enough and a valid point. I guess I'm lucky picking up this TV then as at the time it wasn't a consideration.

The only thing your TV couldn't do it pass DTSHD and TrueHD down ARC but the conversion feature is a great one to have as it could just re-encode them down to DD+ and you still get Atmos.

Sorted mine, moved PS4 Pro to HDMI 4, defaulted to 1080p, then turned HDR to auto, went back to 4k, looks fine. Will leave the ATV4k in HMDI 2 and use the Arc on HDMI 3

The only thing your TV couldn't do it pass DTSHD and TrueHD down ARC but the conversion feature is a great one to have as it could just re-encode them down to DD+ and you still get Atmos.
Yep, I would need to attach my devices directly, tbh I mainly watch from streaming services and none of them use DTS anyway.

If you get Atmos from appletv is up to how the TV is handling the signal. I have lg c8 with appletv 4K plugged into hdmi 1 om the TV and lg sk10y into the arc hdmi on the TV. I Get Atmos with appletv. the lg c8 is passing Atmos over arc from the appletv.

I have the GZ1000 connected to a Canton Soundbar 10 (Atmos enabled) My ATV4k is connected to my tv and all the streamed media is sent as DD+ with the lossy Atmos signal which is decoded correctly as atmos via my soundbar. I would imagine the Sonos doing the same.
Not quite. The Sonos Beam is not Atmos enabled. When the tv receives DD+ I assume this is stripped back to 5.1 and passed to Beam and all is well as far as possible. However the ATV will only generate a 2.0 soundtrack when it senses the Beam is the final device. How the ATV will respond to the new Arc being the final device is the $64,000 question.

Not quite. The Sonos Beam is not Atmos enabled. When the tv receives DD+ I assume this is stripped back to 5.1 and passed to Beam and all is well as far as possible. However the ATV will only generate a 2.0 soundtrack when it senses the Beam is the final device. How the ATV will respond to the new Arc being the final device is the $64,000 question.
As long as the Soundbar is Atmos enabled it should be able to accept and decode the signal from the DD+ as mine does through ARC as long as your TV can decode Atmos as well.

I wonder what my tv pushes out by optical when connected to ATV and Beam is not hooked up by HDMI? Getting off the Arc topic I know.

I wonder what my tv pushes out by optical when connected to ATV and Beam is not hooked up by HDMI? Getting off the Arc topic I know.
I think it will be standard Dolby Digital or PCM. Just try to use the HDMI to get the best sound quality.

The TV should push out either of these as they are the only formats optical supports

two-channel stereo PCM, Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, and DTS ES.

The ATV4K's Atmos is different to other devices. It sends lossy Atmos using MAT2.0 which is an uncompressed format too large to sent via ARC. I posted a link a page back of Apples website where it states its not compatible with ARC. Unless you have some other funkary going on.

I am getting Atmos (dd+) from a 4kATV thru my C7 to a vizio SB. B6052A92-7D0B-4BB8-A8CF-577C5661ABF9.jpeg

A little off-topic..

Our livingroom is getting a complete overhaul at the moment. Getting a new paint job, couch, TV cabinet, TV got wall mounted and I've pre-ordered the Arc.

Cut out a piece of cardboard in same size of the Arc and put it 10cm underneath my TV (font mind the cardboard underneath the Beam, it's to imagine a thick wooden sheet I've ordered)

56AB97D1-5CF3-4D36-AE3C-47867B0CE376.jpeg

What do you guys think? Is the TV too high, or would you say it's fine like this? I've added a small piece of tape on the left side of the TV, that is at eye-level (107cm)

(I like the clean look of the mounted "Arc" already though, even though it's just a piece of paper right now 😁)

A little off-topic..

Our livingroom is getting a complete overhaul at the moment. Getting a new paint job, couch, TV cabinet, TV got wall mounted and I've pre-ordered the Arc.

Cut out a piece of cardboard in same size of the Arc and put it 10cm underneath my TV (font mind the cardboard underneath the Beam, it's to imagine a thick wooden sheet I've ordered)

View attachment 1304853

What do you guys think? Is the TV too high, or would you say it's fine like this? I've added a small piece of tape on the left side of the TV, that is at eye-level (107cm)

(I like the clean look of the mounted "Arc" already though, even though it's just a piece of paper right now 😁)

Can't fault that mate, going to be amazing. I think the TV is a good height too, about where mine is actually.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom