Sonos Arc + QN95A + PC

Zivatar

Novice Member
Hey guys,

So far I played my movies from PC that was connected to the TV and the sound system was connected to the PC aswell via optical cable.

We moving to a new flat where I wish to lose all unnecessary cables so for starters I sold my 5.1 with Harmann Carbon AVR170 and bought a Sonos Arc. It currently support only Dolby 5.1 on TV and on PC also no matter how hard I tried to find solution for Atmos.

Well... lets not walk from the main topic... So in the new home I will have my Sonos Arc + Samsung TV in the living room built in in a media wall, while my PC will be in the workroom like 15M far from the living room.

How would you guys set it up if I wish to play movies from my PC? Also wanna bring that Atmos technology alive with Sonos Arc. All alternative variations also could be a solution.

Im open for suggestions.

Waiting for your kind replies.

Regards,
Richard aka Zivatar

next010

Distinguished Member
Install Plex or Emby media server on your PC and get the Plex/Emby client from Samsung TV app portal. That will allow you to play the content stored on PC via the TV.

The Sonos Arc and QN95A support over ARC.
Dolby Digital 5.1
There is no Dolby Atmos support according to avforums review, though rtings state USA model can do TrueHD via eARC.

The Sonos can do more over eARC but the TV may not support the formats.

You'd need to check the firmware on the TV and Sonos are up to date and the TV is configured for eARC. Lastly some brands TV's internal apps cannot pass HD audio formats even if supported via eARC, but I dont know if this applies to Samsung.

Zivatar

Novice Member
Install Plex or Emby media server on your PC and get the Plex/Emby client from Samsung TV app portal. That will allow you to play the content stored on PC via the TV.

Dolby Digital 5.1
There is no Dolby Atmos support according to avforums review, though rtings state USA model can do TrueHD via eARC.

You'd need to check the firmware on the TV and Sonos are up to date and the TV is configured for eARC. Lastly some brands TV's internal apps cannot pass HD audio formats even if supported via eARC, but I dont know if this applies to Samsung.
Hi

Thank you for your answer!

Do you reccommand different TV in order to enjoy Dolby Atmos?

Which TV would be the best in approx the same price range?

Thanks!

Zivatar

Novice Member

Dolby Digital 5.1

As I see LG G1 Oled Tvs are supporting Atmos and somewhat better TVs... tho Im a Samsung fan...

What you guys think?

LG has simular media servers like Samsung?

next010

Distinguished Member
As I see LG G1 Oled Tvs are supporting Atmos and somewhat better TVs... tho Im a Samsung fan...

What you guys think?

LG has simular media servers like Samsung?

LG wont pass TrueHD Atmos via internal apps (only via HDMI), the streaming variant of DD+ Atmos I'm unsure on via Plex/Emby on LG

LG dont support DTS either.

Sony/Philips TV's tend to have better audio support but not sure when it comes to their internal apps, maybe someone else can ask or inquire in the Sony/Philips TV sub forums.

Zivatar

Novice Member
LG wont pass TrueHD Atmos via internal apps (only via HDMI), the streaming variant of DD+ Atmos I'm unsure on via Plex/Emby on LG

LG dont support DTS either.

Sony/Philips TV's tend to have better audio support but not sure when it comes to their internal apps, maybe someone else can ask or inquire in the Sony/Philips TV sub forums.
See... its not easy 😂 Still havent found the ultimate solutions so Im totally open for suggestions

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are struggling to enable Atmos between the PC/TV/ARC using short HDMI cables adding a 15m cable is only going to make things harder.

Do you have an alternative Source such as a BD Player you can use to test the TV eARC to Soundbar eARC to prove you can get Atmos woking? Once you know it works you can start to work on Apps the TV offers and content you have on your PC.

If you have to run a long HDMI cable between the PC and the TV you will need to consider a Hybrid Fibre solution and ensure it is easy to replace if it will be 'installed' in your walls.

A media player such as the Shield or ATV 4K on a short cable run to the TV may be worth considering!

Joe

Zivatar

Novice Member
If you are struggling to enable Atmos between the PC/TV/ARC using short HDMI cables adding a 15m cable is only going to make things harder.

Do you have an alternative Source such as a BD Player you can use to test the TV eARC to Soundbar eARC to prove you can get Atmos woking? Once you know it works you can start to work on Apps the TV offers and content you have on your PC.

If you have to run a long HDMI cable between the PC and the TV you will need to consider a Hybrid Fibre solution and ensure it is easy to replace if it will be 'installed' in your walls.

A media player such as the Shield or ATV 4K on a short cable run to the TV may be worth considering!

Joe
Hey Joe!

Thank you for your reply.

Meanwhile our electric guy might got a solution for this. If I add a router to the network with hd capacity, I can upload the movie to it than play it on my TV which will be connected to this router by cable also.

I dunno if it can work but looks like a solid solution.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Richard

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Definitely worth testing out the TV playing back the content you have on your PC/NAS/Server - as @next010 points out you will have to ensure the TV App and networked files are compatible plus also understand what the TV/Apps can support.

I'd test now before you start running long cables.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom