Sonos arc or Bose system advice

styb

Novice Member
Hi,

Forgive me as I’m not too technical but was after some advice regarding a home sound system Or bar

Bascially looking to tidy up our home entertainment system (Mrs orders) for the living room and currentply have a Yamaha unit with wharfdale speakers wired for surround sound, which has been great over the years.

I am having to go wireless, and was looking through the various options, one being the Sonos Arc sound bar which seems to get such great reviews(plus looks neat wall mounted under tv) rather than spending a lot more on a Bose system with wireless surround speakers. I understand going for the sub makes an even bigger difference to the arc.

So my question.....

My TV is an 55 LG OLED (B8)slc which has ARC but not eARC, would I be wasting money going for that when the TV can’t have Dolby atmos (so I’m told) or am I not that likely to notice much of a difference? (being your average guy and not someone that would say notice unique difference in sounds quality in say headphones for example)

Thanks in advance 👍

Greyman43

My understanding is that regular ARC is capable of a compressed version of ATMOS but not all TV’s have the software to decode it via pass through so you’ll need to check that.

Uncompressed ATMOS is only generally available on UHD Blurays or rips of those, I’m not convinced any soundbar is going to be capable of highlighting much difference between the two in all honesty.

Definitely get a sub whatever you buy IMO!

styb

Novice Member
My understanding is that regular ARC is capable of a compressed version of ATMOS but not all TV’s have the software to decode it via pass through so you’ll need to check that.

Uncompressed ATMOS is only generally available on UHD Blurays or rips of those, I’m not convinced any soundbar is going to be capable of highlighting much difference between the two in all honesty.

Definitely get a sub whatever you buy IMO!

Thank you for the response,
yea seems the feedback is a sub is a must so will look at that and factor it in to the cost....

I wonder if for a tv setup it’s worthwhile having a pair Sonos one speakers for surround sound?

looking at my TV it’s an LG OLED55B8SLC, I’m guessing that’s a no to atmos as it has arc but not eARC

Greyman43

Thank you for the response,
yea seems the feedback is a sub is a must so will look at that and factor it in to the cost....

I wonder if for a tv setup it’s worthwhile having a pair Sonos one speakers for surround sound?

looking at my TV it’s an LG OLED55B8SLC, I’m guessing that’s a no to atmos as it has arc but not eARC

Always worth it if budget allows!

I just looked it up and it says your B8 does support ATMOS via ARC, just not uncompressed ATMOS which would require eARC.

styb

Novice Member
Thanks again

bit more reading and it seems a few people have used an Arcana which seems to have worked (lip sync and connection issues), so another thing to look at.

budget is getting stretched more I read, best stop reading more!

keithwiggins

Thanks again

bit more reading and it seems a few people have used an Arcana which seems to have worked (lip sync and connection issues), so another thing to look at.

budget is getting stretched more I read, best stop reading more!
lol, you will be pressed to notice much difference overall, i would focus on trying to get the unit that sounds best to your ears, make that the priority and the rest will follow. The arc is pretty good also have a look at jbl, klipsch , denon, samsung,hk,sony samsung. There are some great soundbars out there these days, dont forget atmos is hugely room&content dependant, hence find something that sounds good to you first and foremost.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom