Question Sonos Arc , JBL, Q90R , Sony HT Z9F..

Tegs200

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
I know it's a hard one to answer but I'm considering all of these and I'm tempted to pre-order the ARC at £680 with the discount and maybe add the sub and rears (expensive) but can't decide if its a better option than the jbl, q90r or Sony HT Z9f and rears (decisions lol) I'm really need one with the best day to day sound stage and clear voices at all levels as well as great for movies ,music etc , it's not easy with no demos at the moment either......

I am also considering the Arc, along with the rears and possibly / probably the Sub. Currently have a Samsung N950 which has been way to much hassle, and is currently waiting to go back to RS. Also possibly waiting to see what the LG SN11RG is like:

Same boat as you Tegs, torn between the Q90r and Arc. I tend to think the Arc may be less problematic, and whilst more expensive when combined with sub and rears, it will undoubtedly be supported for longer and have a much higher resale value when the time comes to upgrade. If it had just 1 input it would be a no brainer personally, but my TV doesn't have earc so I'll be stuck with lossy atmos at best.

Same boat as you Tegs, torn between the Q90r and Arc. I tend to think the Arc may be less problematic, and whilst more expensive when combined with sub and rears, it will undoubtedly be supported for longer and have a much higher resale value when the time comes to upgrade. If it had just 1 input it would be a no brainer personally, but my TV doesn't have earc so I'll be stuck with lossy atmos at best.

It's definetly s tricky one and like everyone you just want to make the right choice.

If it helps.ive had a zf9.. and a samsing q90 ...now waiting for a sonos arc

Have any of you guys who are pondering, ever had sonos products before?

Once I got into the sonos ecosystem, I was hooked. These ease of set up, control and the sound is a very compelling combination. It’s why I now have it in every room and have a surround set up for the tv too.

I don’t think it’s the last word in sound quality but for 99% of the people and the time, it’s still a great listen.

for atmos I also run a separated system but once you start needing to understand sound fields and operating three remotes or even smart remote then “normal” people (wife and kids) stop caring to get it right.

with the sonos playbar and read surrounds it’s automatic and just works all the time without anyone having to think. There are no wires to manage, no options to choose it’s just plug and play and gives though same 99% of the people 99% of the time a great set up.

I’ve only traded in my playbar, sub and surrounds combination for the arc set up because it’s was a not too expensive upgrade (with discount) and I had an eARC tv that could benefit from it. I never intended to but I will now have two atmos systems and both have their place and function in my home.

The problem I'm going to have with getting the arc is that I have too many devices to connect to my TV , sky q, atv 4k, Nvidia shield, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, firestick 4k so with only 4 TV inputs (well 3 as one will be connected to the arc) it ain't going to work. Surely I'm not the only one with more than 3 devices to connect to the TV...

You could buy a really high end hdmi switch from the likes of HDFury. That will expand the inputs to your tv without compromising features or quality.

Hi
I know it's a hard one to answer but I'm considering all of these and I'm tempted to pre-order the ARC at £680 with the discount and maybe add the sub and rears (expensive) but can't decide if its a better option than the jbl, q90r or Sony HT Z9f and rears (decisions lol) I'm really need one with the best day to day sound stage and clear voices at all levels as well as great for movies ,music etc , it's not easy with no demos at the moment either......
if you want one of the best sounds available from soundbars currently available then look at the Ambeo or beosound stage.
I was seriously considering the Ambeo but frankly bloody expensive, then took a punt on the Stage, great clarity and dynamics with no need for a sub, built like a tank and will last for years, also has a great app, tried a playbar once didn't like it for the price, I have also owned Yamaha,Samsung ,polk ,monitor audio, arcam , Samsung, libratone, definitive technology and goldenear soundbars over the last few years, this is better than the rest, extensive reviews online as well as reviewd on this forum, good luck.

I was with you until you said no need for a sub!

seriously? (That’s a question - not a criticism)

Last edited:
goes down to 30hz, I had a couple of subs with my last soundbar, not missed them one bit sinze I got the stage, its a suck it and see thing, you can buy on internet and have 14 days to return if u are unhappy.

Hello, just wondering also what are the best sound-bases out there as opposed to sound bars. Have been looking at Sonos but seen it passes Dolby 5.1 and completely blocks DTS. I have the Canton DM75 on my list at the mo

Hello, just wondering also what are the best sound-bases out there as opposed to sound bars. Have been looking at Sonos but seen it passes Dolby 5.1 and completely blocks DTS. I have the Canton DM75 on my list at the mo
Canton, Yamaha,Sonos there are not a lot of good ones around, its a niche that appeared with lots of activity but seems to have pretty much disappeared, for my money would look at Canton.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom