Sonos arc audio formats issue with blu-ray disc on PS5 through LG C1

Jc1803

Novice Member
I'm wondering if anyone is able to diagnose an audio formats issue I've stumbled on for watching films.

My set up is a 55" LG C1, PS5 connected with an HDMI 2.1 cable, and Sonos Arc connected to the eARC hdmi port.

If I watch a film on streaming that uses atmos or dolby digital plus audio the soundbar settings will show it is playing in this format. So that works.

If I play a blu-ray disc on the PS5 that supports dolby truehd the ps5 playback settings show it's playing dolby truehd. So the ps5 does support this audio. However the soundbar shows it's getting multichannel pcm 7.1.

I've tried changing the various settings on the ps5/tv but it only seems to make it either stereo pcm or multichannel pcm 7.1. I've got passthrough and eARC support activated on the tv settings, along with the hdmi input set to bitstream and the DTV setting on auto. The PS5 for films is set to av amplifier and Dolby audio format.

Is there anyway to make sure the soundbar is receiving dolby truehd when playing compatible films from a ps5? Is this something I'm stuck with? Or is it a negligible issue because the soundbar is showing as receiving uncompressed audio anyway?

I've ordered the lord of the rings uhd so I want to make sure I'm getting as good an experience as I can with my current equipment. All my kit has the latest updates. I've not been able to find this specific query online so I was hoping someone might know what to do.

Thanks for your assistance

Jc1803

Novice Member
Is the PS5 set to bitstream?

Old but maybe still valid?

Hi
Yeah I've tried that. The PS5 doesn't call it bitstream anymore since an update. It's either just dolby or dts, but both are bitstream.

What the ps5 is sending out does seem to be the issue though. As like stated streaming will show the correct audio format on the soundbar. PS5 only seems to send variants of PCM. I'll try and find a game that supports dolby and see if that makes a difference.

outoftheknow

The PS5 doesn't call it bitstream anymore since an update. It's either just dolby or dts, but both are bitstream.
Ah - I thought I remembered some PS5 update.

I’m not sure if the LG has issues with passthrough- others can no doubt advise.

Jc1803

Novice Member
Ah - I thought I remembered some PS5 update.

I’m not sure if the LG has issues with passthrough- others can no doubt advise.

Figured it out finally. The link above explains how to fix it. It's the second paragraph under 'Object sound'. Turns out there's separate sound settings specifically in the playback menu while watching a blu ray :/ Thanks for that Sony...

I'll leave this up incase anyone else gets stumped by this issue. Pause the film on the screen with the seek bar and other playback options, go to the three dots, then select bitstream under audio format. And that's as long as all the other settings are correct. So much for technology making life easier.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom