Sonos arc and Sony S360 Blu-ray

mcgoverg

Standard Member
Help.

so I have a Sonos Arc with sub and Sonos amp driving rear Kef eggs. TV is Samsung QN85a.

Sonos Arc is plugged into eArc hdmi. Sky Q and the Sony Blu-ray are also plugged into the TV.

I get Dolby atmos audio from Sky Q, eg A Discovery of Witches, also from Netflix I get Atmos, eg. The Edge of War, however when playing the allegedly Atmos Bond movie No Time to Die I get only stereo PCM. I’ve reset the Blu-ray box to factory settings, it’s on the latest FW release but still no Atmos or even multi channel.

On the other hand, if I play any old DVD, I get multichannel pcm 5.1.

Question is, is it the disc that’s not what it claims to be or is it just that the Blu-ray unit is 12 years old And can’t deal with Atmos encoding . But then it can push multi channel from a dvd, why not a Blu-ray Disc?

All hdmi cables are brand new, 2m long and are ratified for 8k

sorry for the ramble but any thoughts, comments , ideas would be welcome

Ignominious

Sounds like you have the well known issue with Sonos speakers where there are limited numbers of Blu Ray players that can convert to Dolby 5.1 on the fly. The Sony S360 can't reproduce Dolby Atmos playback and it therefore converts to PCM stereo automatically and I don't think it can convert to 5.1. Some older Samsung players can convert DTS and Dolby Atmos playback to Dolby 5.1 which would then at least give you surround sound through your Sonos system. If you have Amazon Prime then all the James Bond films are available without rental currently so have you tried that source instead?

JBA6

I had a different problem with the No Time To Die Blu-Ray disc with my Panasonic DMP-UB700EBK Blu-Ray player in that it would only play the introduction on the disc but would not play the main title or any of the additional features. A firmware update, which was originally issued in 2017 (a further update issued in 2018 for another problem was included) fixed the problem. I installed the update last December (I got the Bond disc as a Christmas present). I can therefore confirm that my Blu-Ray copy of No Time To Die does indeed play with an ATMOS soundtrack, yours should therefore have an ATMOS soundtrack too. As far as I can see your Sony player hasn't had a firmware update since 2011, it's probably just not compatible with this disc and maybe other recent Blu-Rays. My experience suggests recent DVDs, unlike recent Blu-Rays, are much more likely to play ok on older disc players.

--
JB

mcgoverg

Standard Member
Ignominious & JBA6, thanks for the replies and insights Tbh I don’t play discs very often
at all, the Bond movie was also an Xmas gift and it’s just bloody annoying that I can’t get the full experience. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced player that will be fully compatible? Thanks again

JBA6

Assuming you're in the UK, I'd suggest you go to your local Richer Sounds armed with your Bond disc and get a demo of whatever players they have in stock. They have models priced from £69 up listed on their website.

--
JB

Tegs200

Ignominious & JBA6, thanks for the replies and insights Tbh I don’t play discs very often
at all, the Bond movie was also an Xmas gift and it’s just bloody annoying that I can’t get the full experience. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced player that will be fully compatible? Thanks again
This will work but £300
panasonic dp-ub820eb

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom