Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

I just have the arc and thought at the start,wow,this is amazing,I really got to get the rears and sub.However,yesterday I sat down and watched the first avengers movie..there is a scene close to the start where the machine is powered up and Loki appears...the thing nearly blew me away 😂😂.I could feel the bass in the room rumbling away..I was just sitting there thinking Holy Sheeeeeet😂😂...now I was probably only sitting a meter to a meter and a half away from it as the kids had the prime seating positions...I don't know if I could handle the sub or even need the sub tbh..room is 4m x 4m..I do fancy the surrounds allright though just for imersion
What setting is your bass on?

What setting is your bass on?
Everything is where it was when I received it,so at 0...We have alot of standard tv playing with just standard sound so when we do go and sit down and watch a movie with 5.1 or atmos,it really makes a difference

Everything is where it was when I received it,so at 0...We have alot of standard tv playing with just standard sound so when we do go and sit down and watch a movie with 5.1 or atmos,it really makes a difference
It’s a great bit of kit, been pondering the same as you, whether the sub would be to much

It’s a great bit of kit, been pondering the same as you, whether the sub would be to much
I am not in too much of a hurry to get the sub unless there is some sort of promotion on somewhere.I ended up paying full price for the arc as sevenoaks did not have stock when there was a 30% discount when trading in a bridge and I did not have the patience/foresight to just order it at the time and then the promotion ended.From all the reading I have done,it seems that the sub makes the biggest impact,obviously I have no experience of this but I think I will go with surrounds first and then re visit the sub

I made the mistake of unpairing my sub from the ARC and pairing it with my Sonos Five, just wow. For music, best Sonos setup there is. Now, I want to buy another Five and set them as rears and remove the ones haha.

The Sub makes a hell of a difference! But adds so much more volume. Have to admit for all standard tv viewing I knock it off and also the rears. For films I’ll put the sub and rears back on but sometimes even knock the sub off during a film as it can be overwhelming and I don’t want to annoy my neighbours 🤣

The Sub makes a hell of a difference! But adds so much more volume. Have to admit for all standard tv viewing I knock it off and also the rears. For films I’ll put the sub and rears back on but sometimes even knock the sub off during a film as it can be overwhelming and I don’t want to annoy my neighbours 🤣
Yeah that’s what I was worried about, if it was just me and a cinema room I would get one, but think I will leave it as is haha

The Sub does add that bit extra in detail though. The Arc sounds better when the Sub is paired. I always have the Sub on when I listen to music, I’m just careful when using it with movies.

@Tim7

You still using bitstream atmos on your series x, is the audio delay ok now, still using uncompressed 5.1, but would like to use atmos If the delay is gone, not tested it with all the recent updates.

Sorry for going off topic.

I made the mistake of unpairing my sub from the ARC and pairing it with my Sonos Five, just wow. For music, best Sonos setup there is. Now, I want to buy another Five and set them as rears and remove the ones haha.
Go for it fives as rears make hell of a difference in sound quality both for movies and music.

Anyone know if a Sanus WSTV1 B2 Stand allows for the Arc to lay flat or is it raised?

About two thirds of the Arc can fit on the base (and be easily placed entirely forward of a thin TV like an OLED). The base is raised about 1cm above the surface of whatever it’s on so you can either let the ends hang in the air or, if you dislike that look as much as I do, fashion some feet for the ends. My setup is white so a few tightly folded blank pages worked surprisingly well.

@Tim7

You still using bitstream atmos on your series x, is the audio delay ok now, still using uncompressed 5.1, but would like to use atmos If the delay is gone, not tested it with all the recent updates.

Sorry for going off topic.
I did have Uncompressed 5.1 for a few days as got that working properly after CX television reset and reconnecting everything. Then a few days later it just stopped working again and got no sound at all. So switched back to Bitstream Dolby Atmos and I don’t have any audio lag at all. Playing Cold War and watching BT Sport is perfect.

Incidentally, the Apple TV is still working fine on Uncompressed with Atmos used where available so no idea why Xbox just stopped working again.

I did have Uncompressed 5.1 for a few days as got that working properly after CX television reset and reconnecting everything. Then a few days later it just stopped working again and got no sound at all. So switched back to Bitstream Dolby Atmos and I don’t have any audio lag at all. Playing Cold War and watching BT Sport is perfect.

Incidentally, the Apple TV is still working fine on Uncompressed with Atmos used where available so no idea why Xbox just stopped working again.

I will try atmos again, I think uncompressed is a little flat and quite sounding, need to turn volume up more I find, perhaps there is a few issues with xbox and uncompressed audio at the moment, as you say its fine on other devices.
I have it working at the moment though.
I really struggle to notice audio delay if its only slight, which is why I asked you.

On the whole though the CX 3.21.16 firmware has really improved things with the audio for me between the Sonos Arc and CX, I used to get the occasional audio drop but so far all good this last week since installing it.

I will try atmos again, I think uncompressed is a little flat and quite sounding, need to turn volume up more I find, perhaps there is a few issues with xbox and uncompressed audio at the moment, as you say its fine on other devices.
I have it working at the moment though.
I really struggle to notice audio delay if its only slight, which is why I asked you.

On the whole though the CX 3.21.16 firmware has really improved things with the audio for me between the Sonos Arc and CX, I used to get the occasional audio drop but so far all good this last week since installing it.
I've watched a few films on the Apple TV 4k that are 5.1. When receiving a uncompressed multichannel PCM audio track I've found the same as you, it's quiet and lifeless, forcing the Apple TV to output Dolby Digital 5.1 and the audio is great, loud and impactful as I would expect. I've only had this issue since the Arc was updated to accept LPCM.

I've watched a few films on the Apple TV 4k that are 5.1. When receiving a uncompressed multichannel PCM audio track I've found the same as you, it's quiet and lifeless, forcing the Apple TV to output Dolby Digital 5.1 and the audio is great, loud and impactful as I would expect. I've only had this issue since the Arc was updated to accept LPCM.

I'm happy enough with multichannel pcm, it is a little flat, its the volume that gets me, I always find I need to turn it up a lot more, sometimes I turn it up and If I pause it I swear when I play it again the ARC has turned it down.
I think Sonos are releasing a few fixes for LPCM soon so maybe we will notice some improvements.

Hi all, couple of questions if you don't mind as I'm looking at one or these for my second tv.
Currently have Samsung n850, not bad but the sub is pretty useless, and really disappointed in the bass.
Sounds like I could get the arc and the sub later if I felt more bass needed. Surrounds may he hard to position in my layout.

Is the sonos sub wireless, and where is the best position for it to go?

Thanks

Hi all, couple of questions if you don't mind as I'm looking at one or these for my second tv.
Currently have Samsung n850, not bad but the sub is pretty useless, and really disappointed in the bass.
Sounds like I could get the arc and the sub later if I felt more bass needed. Surrounds may he hard to position in my layout.

Is the sonos sub wireless, and where is the best position for it to go?

Thanks
Yep the Sub is wireless, apart from the power cable obviously. You can put it wherever you want, then run the TruePlay and it will calibrate it for your room and set up.

Yep the Sub is wireless, apart from the power cable obviously. You can put it wherever you want, then run the TruePlay and it will calibrate it for your room and set up.
Thanks, that might help as with the n850 I have it think it has to go alongside the sound bar at the front. Might be able to hide it better as the wife doesn't like it!

Thanks, that might help as with the n850 I have it think it has to go alongside the sound bar at the front. Might be able to hide it better as the wife doesn't like it!
Hide it behind the ironing board. Always works for me.

I updated and...

Safari is now snappier (one for the Mac fans)

UPDATE: Sonos will have many meetings and make many calls.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom