Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

I have just plugged my Sonos Arc, minus sub and rears, into the LG GX TV and it all seems to be working fine. I have the Xbox Series X and PS 5 and wanted to check I have the settings correct on there or if I need to change anything if anyone could advise please.

I don't use any apps to play TV or Blu-Rays so it's just the game audio I am interested in.

I have the Series X set to "HDMI Audio - Stereo uncompressed" as it won't accept the 5.1 uncompressed setting.

The PS5 I have changed from "HDMI Device Type" to Soundbar from TV, and the "Audio Format" is Linear rather than either of the Dolby Bitsream.
On the Xbox go to the store and get the Dolby Atmos app - it’s free. Then when that’s installed change the sound output to Bitstream, and then select Dolby Atmos for home theater.

And make sure the CX is set to Pass Through as the sound mode.

Watching sky right now. Sonos says I’m getting dolby digital 2.0. Why would I be getting sound from my rears too?

Watching sky right now. Sonos says I’m getting dolby digital 2.0. Why would I be getting sound from my rears too?
I believe the Sonos does a sort of faux surround. The level of surround seems to be based on the type of material, eg spoken word, not so much from the rears. I think you get the idea. :)

Yeah Sonos will upscale. Almost like Dolby Pro Logic

Has anybody had any issues with Sky Q not auto turning the TV on when booted up? I’m using a 2020 Sony android TV and wondering if it’s the TV handshake issue but it has only started happening since I connected the ARC to the arc hdmi socket on the TV (sky q box powered up the tv to the correct channel when I had a different sound solution connected via toslink).

So been reading about surround speakers again and the fact that they should ideally be above ear height and not pointing at your ears too directly. Mine are above ear height but are pointing at me somewhat. Only problem is I don't have a phone to tune them if I do change their direction :rotfl:

So guys correct me if I’m wrong... the arc by itself is a 5.0.2 system (with lateral and up facing speakers). When used with e.g. a ps5 in LPCM what should the app show? Is LPCM capable of activating the two atmos speakers? Or it should be set on Dolby bitstream, giving that with eArc there shouldn’t be any delay in the audio problem? I read that someone got 7.1 in the app when playing games in LPCM, but I imagine that these two channels more are not the atmos ones and are lost..

EDIT
Seems like that metadata and atmos should really be needed for movies, but not games that renders audio in real-time and could simply output every channel in LPCM. The question is, will the Sonos Arc be able to receive and play LPCM more than 7.1 (Direct mode)? So also height channels? Any table spec?

Last edited:
DD 2.0 carries some rear information although I think it's "flat" across the rear channels unlike the 5.1 version. Sonos never adds anything to the signal as far as I know
  • Dolby Digital 2/0 - 2-channel stereo (left + right), optionally carrying matrixed Dolby Surround

I have a 65 LG BX and thinking of getting a Sonus setup - i like the idea of the Arc & 2 x SL1 - would this be a decent setup?

Also, my BX is stand mounted and its not the tallest of stands and the Arc would protrude the bottom of the screen - anyone got any ideas how i could raise the tv ever so slightly?

Thanks in advance - totally new to soundbars!

I have a 65 LG BX and thinking of getting a Sonus setup - i like the idea of the Arc & 2 x SL1 - would this be a decent setup?

Also, my BX is stand mounted and its not the tallest of stands and the Arc would protrude the bottom of the screen - anyone got any ideas how i could raise the tv ever so slightly?

Thanks in advance - totally new to soundbars!
Could you fit an adjustable stand to the tv? Or you could use a piece of wood to achieve the height (you could paint it to suit ) :)

Yes I could that - in regards to the Sonos setup, would that be a good system?
Yes, Arc soundbar and two One SLs for rears will sound brilliant 👍🏻

Yes I could that - in regards to the Sonos setup, would that be a good system?
Couple of questions. Is your tv eArc and what media do you intend to use?
I can only go by my experience. I have a Sony xf9005 so I don’t have eArc (I have an hdfury arcana on order to rectify that) so currently cannot get full fat Dolby Atmos. I currently get a lesser form of Dolby Atmos from the tv built in apps.

If you play blu rays Its worth noting that the Sonos does not support DTS but the sonos has been updated to support LPCM (Which may overcome this I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm this). I currently use an xbox to convert DTS to Dolby digital.

The sound you get will also depend on your room size and furnishings. I’m more than happy with the sound I get from my arc, sub an one SLs.:)

So guys correct me if I’m wrong... the arc by itself is a 5.0.2 system (with lateral and up facing speakers). When used with e.g. a ps5 in LPCM what should the app show? Is LPCM capable of activating the two atmos speakers? Or it should be set on Dolby bitstream, giving that with eArc there shouldn’t be any delay in the audio problem? I read that someone got 7.1 in the app when playing games in LPCM, but I imagine that these two channels more are not the atmos ones and are lost..

EDIT
Seems like that metadata and atmos should really be needed for movies, but not games that renders audio in real-time and could simply output every channel in LPCM. The question is, will the Sonos Arc be able to receive and play LPCM more than 7.1 (Direct mode)? So also height channels? Any table spec?

My understanding is that 7.1 is where the source (the game in you scenario) just sends out data telling which speaker to make which noise. No sense of where speakers are placed, just hopes they are a sensible 7.1 layout. The game audio engine had done the work of mapping each sound it wants to play from its virtual environment into the various speakers and the processor has relatively little to do.

Whereas Atmos metadata says 'play this sound on the stage at two metres forward, 0.5 metres up, and facing this direction with this realtive volume'. The processor (Arc in this case) then works out what that means in terms of sounds played by each speaker in the system, and it is tuned to know where things are and what sort of room it is in so each setup will use different output for a given input. Games are an ideal source of this sort of data as they are virtual environments and thus know where each sound generating element is and which should have priority - eg engine starting up 500 metres away is less important than the aliens footsteps scuttling along the corridor above your head.

My understanding is that 7.1 is where the source (the game in you scenario) just sends out data telling which speaker to make which noise. No sense of where speakers are placed, just hopes they are a sensible 7.1 layout. The game audio engine had done the work of mapping each sound it wants to play from its virtual environment into the various speakers and the processor has relatively little to do.

Whereas Atmos metadata says 'play this sound on the stage at two metres forward, 0.5 metres up, and facing this direction with this realtive volume'. The processor (Arc in this case) then works out what that means in terms of sounds played by each speaker in the system, and it is tuned to know where things are and what sort of room it is in so each setup will use different output for a given input. Games are an ideal source of this sort of data as they are virtual environments and thus know where each sound generating element is and which should have priority - eg engine starting up 500 metres away is less important than the aliens footsteps scuttling along the corridor above your head.
Yes, it is exactly like this!
Just hoping the Arc will support “atmos” (the height channels) even with LPCM, so receiving and assigning the correct speakers for sources >7.1, as this is not mentioned anywhere in their documentation, but the eArc standard should at least support up to 32 audio channels through LPCM

Last edited:
but the Arc standard should at least support up to 32 audio channels through LPCM
Shouldn’t that be eARC? I think ARC tops out at way less than that? 8 channels was it?

Has anybody had any issues with Sky Q not auto turning the TV on when booted up? I’m using a 2020 Sony android TV and wondering if it’s the TV handshake issue but it has only started happening since I connected the ARC to the arc hdmi socket on the TV (sky q box powered up the tv to the correct channel when I had a different sound solution connected via toslink).
I have a similar issue, the telly turns on but doesn't tune to sky. It seems like it loses the hdmi handshake, the solution for me is to just press the home button on the sky remote which triggers the handshake and recognises the right hdmi port.

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting an Arc+Sub+One combo for my XBOX Series X, but my TV is a LG B7 with only ARC port, although it supports Atmos via Digital Plus. And I'm not going to get a new TV until probably 2022. Is it worth getting the Sonos system with my set up? Or should I get a LG/Samsung one instead? Thanks.

Hey guys, I've fallen into the rabbit hole of looking at tv upgrades and audio upgrades and have decided I want to go with the Sonos Arc. I won't be upgrading my tv till next year as I don't really need a TV right away until I move so might as well see what companies are bringing to the table next year. But I wanted to go ahead and get the audio out of the way this year.

My question is does Sonos offer black Friday sales? I was originally just going to get the Sonos Arc to start with, but if they're knocking a good bit off the bar, subs, and ones I might just go ahead and get the full system.

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting an Arc+Sub+One combo for my XBOX Series X, but my TV is a LG B7 with only ARC port, although it supports Atmos via Digital Plus. And I'm not going to get a new TV until probably 2022. Is it worth getting the Sonos system with my set up? Or should I get a LG/Samsung one instead? Thanks.
I have a Sony XF9005 which only has an Arc HDMI. I have the full Sonos surround system and I’m not intending to update my tv anytime soon. So I have ordered a HDFury Arcana as an eArc adaptor 4K Arcana 18Gbps | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom