Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

There's still no ETA for the LPCM update is there?

I've got an Xbox Series X and PS5 on pre-order so interested on how everything will gel and work together 🤞

Has anyone on this thread moved from receiver and speaker package across to this?
I have a 7 year old Denon X4000 and much older B&W package (M1’s and PV1). This obviously pre-dates Dolby Atmos.
Films purchased via ITunes plus Netflix and Amazon - I listen at modest volumes unfortunately as in a semi-detached.
We have a fair bit of Sonos elsewhere in the house including a kitchen system of Beam plus Sub and they just work so well.
Tempted to go with Arc and Sub in main living room - we have a couple of spare Play 1’s we can put with them.
Question is would it be a big compromise?

I am about to put up a post that compares the ARC (both as a full surround system with 1SL's and sub and by itself) with the Bang and Olufsen Beosound Stage as I think people will be interested. The Stage has some advocates on this forum and youtube seems to be all the same crowd with precious few independent reviews so I am trying to offer some balance.

Aaaaanyway:

I moved from what most would call a fairly high end system - not daft high end, but okay. So Denon 6400, Klipsch 600M/404c speakers and an XTZ edge sub. I have also had Miller and Kreisel LCR950s and Monitor Audio Silvers in the recent past.

The Sonos is clearly a cleaner system and my 18x11.5ft room can be easily filled with sound. If you aren't a tweaker and don't mind a limited amount of config options then the FULL Sonos system is worth it and likely wouldn't be a compromise at all. Quite the contrary as all the speakers are active (as opposed to powered or passive) and perform to a very high level, so long as you feed it Dolby flavour sound.

For me it was the space saving and moving into an ecosystem that simply works. That is worth more than DTS compatibility, especially looking into the near future where I suspect most things will be streamed.

I will say, though, that musically ARC is not a good system in any config as it insists on using surrounds and all speakers in a really weird room filling protocol. Just use it for AV. The 1SL's as a musical pair far outperform it and the Fives are in a different league.

For those interested, that comparison I mentioned is here:

Some great reviews, and all pretty much as to be expected. This is a device which will be on sale for years and supported for the next decade if it's anything like the Playbar. The only thing stopping me from purchasing now was this one line from What Hi-Fi:

" However, the older Q7F, which doesn’t have eARC but does have ARC, doesn't support Atmos, either from its apps or an external source. "

I've got a Samsung KS7000 and despite that and the Q7F supporting Dolby Digital +, it doesn't appear I'll be able to pass through an Atmos signal even from an external device. If only the Arc had 1 HDMI input! I don't plan on buying a new TV anytme soon so I'm probably going to pick up the Q90R soundbar instead. Unless 1 of the kids accidentally knocks the TV off the stand.......... 🤔
I have the Samsung Q7FN and SKY Q passes Atmos over Dolby Digital +. My setup only has ARC.

Hi peeps

seriously tempted to go for the Arc with surrounds and sub. Updating my tv and considering moving from current av 5.1 seperates to the smarter set up.

so if my tv is earc i would connect my xbox one and sky to tv, tv to arc. I would then get atmos/DD from blu ray?

if a signal is not atmos/dd my current amp puts into pro logic 2, what woudl the arc do in these circumstancs?

Hi peeps

seriously tempted to go for the Arc with surrounds and sub. Updating my tv and considering moving from current av 5.1 seperates to the smarter set up.

so if my tv is earc i would connect my xbox one and sky to tv, tv to arc. I would then get atmos/DD from blu ray?

if a signal is not atmos/dd my current amp puts into pro logic 2, what woudl the arc do in these circumstancs?
The answer is yes if our tv can pass through Dolby Atmos. For DTS soundtracks I use the Xbox to convert to Dolby digital.

The arc sort of applies some surround effects to stereo broadcasts depending on the content. :)

The Sony AG8, I’ve learned, does not have Dolby AtmoS, which is a shame, but not a catastroph.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sony AG8, I’ve learned, does not have Dolby AtmoS, which is a shame, but not a catastroph.
Your tv does Dolby Digial plus, this means you will be able to get a form of Dolby Atmos from built in apps like Netflix. I believe Sky delivers Atmos over Dolby digital plus (prepared to be corrected). :)

Your tv does Dolby Digial plus, this means you will be able to get a form of Dolby Atmos from built in apps like Netflix. I believe Sky delivers Atmos over Dolby digital plus (prepared to be corrected). :)
Just because it supports DD+ does not mean it can necessarily pass atmos metadata. My TV does DD+ but cannot do atmos. Oh it's hardware capable but would require a firmware update that they will never issue. It's entirely up to the TV manufacturer. One of the downsides of being an early adopter.

Last edited:
It does, yes mate.

Thanks!
I’ve a feeling I’ll be revisiting this when it gets set up, my son in law is going to set it up in the next few weeks!
oh I’ve just got Sky HD not Q?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
I’ve a feeling I’ll be revisiting this when it gets set up. I’m disabled and my son in law is going to set it up in the next few weeks!
oh I’ve just got Sky HD not Q?
If you have Sky HD and not Q, then you will not get Dolby Atmos from Sky.

Yeah you need Sky Q. All UHD Premier League football is in Atmos. As well as some TV shows like Gangs of London.

Been using my Arc+Woofer+rear surrounds for just over a month and have been loving it. Just two quick annoying things I wanted to ask if others experience. I'm connected to an LGC9 via eArc

1. When watching something from an HDMI source like SKY Q and we change the tv to one of the inbuilt apps like Netflix or Amazon Video, the sound from Sky Q continues in the background until you actually press play on the Netflix content or until the preview sound from Netflix kicks in.

2. If I pause the tv for a bit like say 5 mins it seems the Sonos system temporally goes to sleep so when you resume/unpause it takes about 5 seconds or so for the Sonos to come on. It often results in having to rewind the content to catch the sound that was missed in those 5 or more seconds.

Any fixes or is it just one of the limits of using ARC to control the system?

Thanks

Been using my Arc+Woofer+rear surrounds for just over a month and have been loving it. Just two quick annoying things I wanted to ask if others experience. I'm connected to an LGC9 via eArc

1. When watching something from an HDMI source like SKY Q and we change the tv to one of the inbuilt apps like Netflix or Amazon Video, the sound from Sky Q continues in the background until you actually press play on the Netflix content or until the preview sound from Netflix kicks in.

2. If I pause the tv for a bit like say 5 mins it seems the Sonos system temporally goes to sleep so when you resume/unpause it takes about 5 seconds or so for the Sonos to come on. It often results in having to rewind the content to catch the sound that was missed in those 5 or more seconds.

Any fixes or is it just one of the limits of using ARC to control the system?

Thanks
Both normal behaviour in this set up. I’ve recently switched to a Sony A8 and the continuation of the sky Q sound until another sound replaces it doesn’t happen with that set up but the slight delay going back to sky Q is common to both.

Both normal behaviour in this set up. I’ve recently switched to a Sony A8 and the continuation of the sky Q sound until another sound replaces it doesn’t happen with that set up but the slight delay going back to sky Q is common to both.
Yeah I think the first issue is TV specific. The second is a Sonos peculiarity.

What’s everybody rocking regards to Sub at the moment then? I’m now on Bass & Treble 0 but Sub at +3

What’s everybody rocking regards to Sub at the moment then? I’m now on Bass & Treble 0 but Sub at +3

treble -3 bass 0 bass level -2

loudness on

I just put treble into minus based on comments on here, perhaps it can go back to 0?

Same Bass and Treble 0 and sub +3 but sometimes change to +8 for music. Sounds amazing very happy with these settings

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom