Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

At my peril I shall butt in. The point of the device is surely to avoid passing the signal through the tv as the tv may not have eARC. So the composite signal is generated by the blu-ray player and passed to Arcana which which splits off the audio to the Arc as if by eARC and send the video to the tv. I say at my peril as I have only casually been following this as it is not applicable to me.
Sorry yes I’m confusing myself, of course it’s bypassing the tv! Cheers

Confusing when we’re talking about ARC, eARC, Arcana, and Sonos Arc!! Your full fat lossless Atmos via Dolby Digital True HD is ONLY coming from a blu-ray disc/player (or rip), passing through your tv, then through the Arcana, and into the Sonos Arc, where it will be conveyed in all
It’s lossless glory.

Not 100% sure I’m answering what you’re asking?!
Ok, that makes sense, but what if the TV the blu-ray is connected to a TV only has an ARC output and not an EARC output ?

Ok, I‘m now thinking that the HD Fury Arcana isn’t going to fulfil my requirements as my LG65C7V from which I currently stream all video only has an ARC output and so, unless I upgrade it to an EARC model, I’m not going to get lossless Atmos from the TV to the Sonos Arc,

Ok, I‘m now thinking that the HD Fury Arcana isn’t going to fulfil my requirements as my LG65C7V from which I currently stream all video only has an ARC output and so, unless I upgrade it to an EARC model, I’m not going to get lossless Atmos from the TV to the Sonos Arc,
Read mine #4976 above.

Mind you I haven’t a clue if it allows the tv to send from it’s ARC to the soundbar as well.

Mind you I haven’t a clue if it allows the tv to send from it’s ARC to the soundbar as well.
Tom, yes it does see the specs from their website.

Key Features
arrow-right-2.gif
Full Audio up to Atmos/TrueHD from any HDMI source/output to SONOS Arc or any eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
Solve SONOS Arc lip sync issue when using external HDMI sources connected to eARC TV
arrow-right-2.gif
Works for HDMI source to eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
CEC control from TV at output to source at input
arrow-right-2.gif
icon-new.png
CEC volume control from source to eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
icon-new.png
CEC volume control from TV to eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
icon-new.png
ARC retrieval from TV ARC input to eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
HDMI 2.0b Full Audio/Video passthrough up to 18Gbps/600MHz
(SDR/HDR10/DV/LLDV)
arrow-right-2.gif
Allow DV content playback from LLDV capable source on any HDR10 display for improved picture quality
arrow-right-2.gif
HDMI2.0b Full Audio/Video output has an optional downscaler for improved picture quality on 1080p TV
arrow-right-2.gif
Allow HDCP 2.2 > 1.4 Conversion
arrow-right-2.gif
Perform Chroma, Color space and Color depth modification if needed
arrow-right-2.gif
Increase or decrease nits value of HDR metadata in real-time during HDR playback
arrow-right-2.gif
Live signal info and details on OSD and OLED
arrow-right-2.gif
Rotary switch for OLED menu navigation
arrow-right-2.gif
USB type C
(for power) and USB type A female (for USB stick update)
arrow-right-2.gif
RS232 jack connector
(for integration and control, not needed for average user)

Switchers can be a real mix, and it sometimes depends on device - so for example Apple TV is reported to show as 'always on' so an auto switcher doesn't work well with it [PS4 the same too I heard]. You also need one that supports your max output - so the first I bought couldn't handle 4k60 - just 4k30. Fortunately Amazon returns was good and I got another one easily.

Not been using mine heavily yet so not sure how good it really is. Remote is a nasty little small thing with crap buttons so am hoping the auto-switching will work.
Keep us updated with what the switch is like. Wonder if there is anything which automatically switches without the need for another controller 🤔

Tom, yes it does see the specs from their website.

Key Features
arrow-right-2.gif
Full Audio up to Atmos/TrueHD from any HDMI source/output to SONOS Arc or any eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
Solve SONOS Arc lip sync issue when using external HDMI sources connected to eARC TV
arrow-right-2.gif
Works for HDMI source to eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
CEC control from TV at output to source at input
arrow-right-2.gif
icon-new.png
CEC volume control from source to eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
icon-new.png
CEC volume control from TV to eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
icon-new.png
ARC retrieval from TV ARC input to eARC sound system
arrow-right-2.gif
HDMI 2.0b Full Audio/Video passthrough up to 18Gbps/600MHz
(SDR/HDR10/DV/LLDV)
arrow-right-2.gif
Allow DV content playback from LLDV capable source on any HDR10 display for improved picture quality
arrow-right-2.gif
HDMI2.0b Full Audio/Video output has an optional downscaler for improved picture quality on 1080p TV
arrow-right-2.gif
Allow HDCP 2.2 > 1.4 Conversion
arrow-right-2.gif
Perform Chroma, Color space and Color depth modification if needed
arrow-right-2.gif
Increase or decrease nits value of HDR metadata in real-time during HDR playback
arrow-right-2.gif
Live signal info and details on OSD and OLED
arrow-right-2.gif
Rotary switch for OLED menu navigation
arrow-right-2.gif
USB type C
(for power) and USB type A female (for USB stick update)
arrow-right-2.gif
RS232 jack connector
(for integration and control, not needed for average user)
Without pulling leads out and changing connections? Hopefully.

This thing sings, just watched Greatest Showman, brilliant and the ARC works it’s magic.

This thing sings, just watched Greatest Showman, brilliant and the ARC works it’s magic.
Are you talking about the hd fury arcana?

Hi
All I have the Arc soundbar and yesterday installed my Arcana Fury.
My setup is a LG C7 65
Sky Q 2TB
Apple TV 4k
Xbox one x

the ATV, x box and the Q are plugged into a HDMI splitter (4K).Kinivo 350BN 4K HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote (3 Port, 4K 60Hz HDR, High Speed-18Gbps, Auto-Switching)

the output from the splitter goes into the Fury
Then the fury has the Sonos arc plugged into it and a hdmi from the Arc hdmi on the C7.

the result is Atmos from ATV and the x box and no lip sync issues on any device!

the fury was worth it for me.
Josh

Has anyone experimented with isolating their arc on suborthane or similar? Mine sounds a little boxy in the midrange, but it's sat on a media unit which is like a big hollow box. My hifi would sound off in the same circumstances. I don't think the feet on the Arc are great for isolation.

Looking at the Peter pee videos I'm going to buy some different depth pads for the front and back and try and isolate and introduce some atmos angle at the same time

I might be selling my Sonos Gen3 Sub as New if someone is interested ? If not I'll send it back as I'm still in my 100 days , comes with all original packaging , £550 .

Hi Josh,
Thanks for the review. Did you order yours from the US? If so what was the tax payable if I may ask ? :)

Has anyone experimented with isolating their arc on suborthane or similar? Mine sounds a little boxy in the midrange, but it's sat on a media unit which is like a big hollow box. My hifi would sound off in the same circumstances. I don't think the feet on the Arc are great for isolation.

Looking at the Peter pee videos I'm going to buy some different depth pads for the front and back and try and isolate and introduce some atmos angle at the same time
No I haven’t experimented with isolating the Arc. Mine sits on a glass tv unit so may benefit. What about using door wedges to angle the Arc? :)

Hi
All I have the Arc soundbar and yesterday installed my Arcana Fury.
My setup is a LG C7 65
Sky Q 2TB
Apple TV 4k
Xbox one x

the ATV, x box and the Q are plugged into a HDMI splitter (4K).Kinivo 350BN 4K HDMI Switch with IR Wireless Remote (3 Port, 4K 60Hz HDR, High Speed-18Gbps, Auto-Switching)

the output from the splitter goes into the Fury
Then the fury has the Sonos arc plugged into it and a hdmi from the Arc hdmi on the C7.

the result is Atmos from ATV and the x box and no lip sync issues on any device!

the fury was worth it for me.
Josh
How does the switcher work to switch between sources? Do you technically not need the controller for the switcher as its al done automatically and volume control etc done through TV remote? Also do you need switcher remote to turn switcher off?

How does the switcher work to switch between sources? Do you technically not need the controller for the switcher as its al done automatically and volume control etc done through TV remote?

Hi
It does switch on its own but also comes with a small remote to change the source going to the TV. The tv remote or in my case the sky remote controls the Sonos Arc volume with no issues.

Also do you need switcher remote to turn switcher off?

I never turn the switcher off.

hope that helps

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone remember the recommended way that PeterPee says to do TruePlay? Hold phone vertical on one bit and horizontal on another bit wasn’t it?

Can anyone remember the recommended way that PeterPee says to do TruePlay? Hold phone vertical on one bit and horizontal on another bit wasn’t it?

About 16m10s onwards, mic facing up when doing the listening position part, and facing forwards when waving around.

Hi Tim. Yeah it was vertical when sat in your listening position and horizontal for truplay :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom