Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

I still experience some shrillness particularly with some female voices. Although this evening Ben Fogle sounded like a big girlie. I haven’t ruled out my hearing aid contributing to the situation. It apparently is tuned to boost higher frequencies and I don’t know if what I am hearing is natural. Not sure how to pinpoint the issue.
That may well be contributing to the issue, could be over emphasising the highs. Do you get the same issues with other audio equipment? What if you turn your hearing aid down a tad ? :)
Also people have different size rooms with different furniture layouts etc this may also be a contributing factor.

Hello guys,

So I got my Arc soundbar today and i really love it so far.
Setup was really easy and straight forward.
I got some newbie questions,

1. I can connect the arc via lan cable to my router, does it make any difference over normal wifi?

2. Audio settings on my LG OLED CX.
I connected sonos arc via HDMI eARC to the t.v, and i am not sure about the audio settings on the t.v itself,
- DTV Audio Setting:
Should I choose Dolby Digital Plus? Or Auto?

- on HDMI Input Audio Format
Bitstream or PCM?

- Digital Sound Out:
PCM, Auto or Pass Through?

And lastly, on my ps4 pro, should I choose PCM or Bitstream (dolby) or DTS.

Thanks.

That may well be contributing to the issue, could be over emphasising the highs. Do you get the same issues with other audio equipment? What if you turn your hearing aid down a tad ? :)
I will experiment more. However it’s doing my head in wondering if I can’t hear it with the hearing aid off does that mean it’s not there or what? It’s a bit like not seeing a dead pixel because your eyes are closed.

Hello guys,

1. I can connect the arc via lan cable to my router, does it make any difference over normal wifi?

I connected sonos arc via HDMI eARC to the t.v, and i am not sure about the audio settings on the t.v itself,
- DTV Audio Setting:
Should I choose Dolby Digital Plus? Or Auto?

Bitstream or PCM?

- Digital Sound Out:
PCM, Auto or Pass Through?

And lastly, on my ps4 pro, should I choose PCM or Bitstream (dolby) or DTS.

Thanks.
1. If you've only got one device WiFi should be ok. I and others have connected our Arc/Beam via ethernet cable so Sonos creates it's own network for the devices to communicate on, has stopped interference issue's in the past (Note: I and others are running setup's with surrounds and subwoofers).

2. Haven't got an LG so will let somebody else answer, but I would stay away from PCM, that'll give you stereo out of the Arc I believe.

3. On the PS4 Pro, HDMI should be set as your primary audio device, you need to set bitstream and Dolby Digital in the options.

I will experiment more. However it’s doing my head in wondering if I can’t hear it with the hearing aid off does that mean it’s not there or what? It’s a bit like not seeing a dead pixel because your eyes are closed.
Do you live alone? Do other people hear it?

I live alone, OH is only here weekends, so when I had issues I had nobody to ask "can you hear that?"

Do you live alone? Do other people hear it?

I live alone, OH is only here weekends, so when I had issues I had nobody to ask "can you hear that?"
The missus doesn’t seem to hear it. I avoid specific questions and adjustments when she is there as that just pees her off. When I first had the aid fitted it’s effect was obvious. It lifted rustling sounds. It’s not so obvious to me now 6 months on but that is where it is tuned to enhance. Middle range and Bass I hear naturally.

Hello guys,

- DTV Audio Setting:
Should I choose Dolby Digital Plus? Or Auto? AUTO

Bitstream or PCM? Bitstream

- Digital Sound Out:
PCM, Auto or Pass Through? Passthrough

And lastly, on my ps4 pro, should I choose PCM or Bitstream (dolby) or DTS. Bitstream Dolby, I believe once the ARC gets the LPCM update, linear PCM will be the better choice but for now select dolby

Thanks.

I use the above I get atmos true HD via UHD discs on oppo203, and atmos DD+ via internal apps and 5.1 content on netflix gives me DD+ 5.1

I've had this when using Firestick, only way to fix it for me is to go to Freeview and back. Doesn't seem to happen for virgin media and I don't think it's happened on Xbox. It seems to be from going into an app or exiting an app just makes the sound drop out.

Bit early to tell, but I switched to a premium certified hdmi cable yesterday and so far not had the issue occur, I have read that the Sonos cable is a bit rubbish by some users.

Can anyone recommend some good content to test my sub and adjust the EQ, Im using negative values at the moment, as in the + range it can get a bit loud in the evening, but I still want to get it perfect for my viewing environment without being weak or too loud.

Bit early to tell, but I switched to a premium certified hdmi cable yesterday and so far not had the issue occur, I have read that the Sonos cable is a bit rubbish by some users.

Can anyone recommend some good content to test my sub and adjust the EQ, Im using negative values at the moment, as in the + range it can get a bit loud in the evening, but I still want to get it perfect for my viewing environment without being weak or too loud.

6 underground first 10 minutes is a good test imo. I tried it without the sub and then with to see the difference and what was missing from the bass etc and get a feel of the audio profile

6 underground first 10 minutes is a good test imo. I tried it without the sub and then with to see the difference and what was missing from the bass etc and get a feel of the audio profile

Cool, will try that movie, I'm using your negative settings :laugh: at the moment, as if I go into + range it can get a bit too loud and rumbly and boomy. Avatar which I watched yesterday was an example at the beginning when all the transport ships land on the planet, got really loud and rumbly at that point.

Cool, will try that movie, I'm using your negative settings :laugh: at the moment, as if I go into + range it can get a bit too loud and rumbly and boomy. Avatar which I watched yesterday was an example at the beginning when all the transport ships land on the planet, got really loud and rumbly at that point.

I've found the same, every room is different and it might be our rooms and sub positioning that just enhances the lower frequencies, which means we need to keep it a bit lower. I would like to try mine behind my seating position so I can feel the bass a bit in my seat tbh.

I've found the same, every room is different and it might be our rooms and sub positioning that just enhances the lower frequencies, which means we need to keep it a bit lower. I would like to try mine behind my seating position so I can feel the bass a bit in my seat tbh.

Just tried that movie, really don’t need to go into + range, I settled on bass -3 and sub level - 2

I must just love a bit of bass :D

ARC can now be back ordered again :clap:
Estimates shipping date 4th September.
That's me ordered the full setup with a 20% code**

:love:
Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 16.09.38.png

:love:

** No I do not have any codes or know where to get them :D

PS.. so much for the notify me by email crap.. not one email.. Just happened to go on and check.

Last edited:

What new cable did you get mate?

PS.. so much for the notify me by email crap.. not one email.. Just happened to go on and check.
Me neither, no emails at all. Just ordered the same surround setup. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Had to order all the bits separately the set is still showing OOS for me.

Hi all. Anyone one using at ARC and a LG C9, have you purchased an HDMI 2.1 cable? or using the one supplied with the ARC? not sure if this is 2.1 or not.. Not sure if its worth changing it? thanks

Me neither, no emails at all. Just ordered the same surround setup. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Had to order all the bits separately the set is still showing OOS for me.
No problem mate.
Yep couldn't order the full set, Would have preferred that so it would all arrive at the same time.
Not a huge issue though.

It's such a minefield shopping for hdmi 2.1 on amazon.
Lot's of good reviews on most of them but also you get a a heap of bad reviews along with them. 🧐🤷‍♂️

@SeeMoreDigital any input from you mate?

The one I linked is just high speed cable, pretty decent cable I would say, although my arc did not sync with tv earlier when I turned it on but I think that’s more a cx issue and arc in general.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom