Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

I am not sure why rtings didn't test with subwoofer and rear speakers which are required for a 360 home cinema experience.

The lowest frequency is 54 Hz for the soundbar alone. This is not too shabby but far off from the expected sweet spot of 25 Hz - 35 Hz that is recommended for movies which can easily be achieved by adding the sub..

I am not sure why rtings didn't test with subwoofer and rear speakers which are required for a 360 home cinema experience.

The lowest frequency is 54 Hz for the soundbar alone. This is not too shabby but far off from the expected sweet spot of 25 Hz - 35 Hz that is recommended for movies which can easily be achieved by adding the sub..

I suppose their arguement would be that they have tested one product, not several?

Many people - I'd imagine the vast marjority? - probably can't or won't go the whole hog. Some folk will want a single solution, some won't be able to afford the best part of £2k, some folk will be wondering how it compare to the Beam etc.

But yeah, hopefully they do the full system test too soon, I for one am super curious about that as I can't decide whether to stick or twist on Sonos, just yet.

I suppose their arguement would be that they have tested one product, not several?

Yeah, do get that. Hoping they do a review with the sub + rears as it could bump up the scores by at least 2 points.

So....as far as I can tell.....My Sony XG will do atmos from native apps but also Sky Q on hdmi 1.

Disney plus
Atv is 4k HDR but 5.1
Sky Q is HD but DD plus
PS4 is ??? Picture and 5.1
Internal TV app 4k HDR but 5.1 (by contrast Internal Netflix does atmos)

Last edited:
Disney+ in our house (Using the same film as reference):

Built-in app, LG C9 - 4k, HDR, Atmos
Disney app on Sky Q (2tb box) - 4k, 5.1, no HDR
AppleTV 4K - with Atmos setting on - 4k, HDR, unwatchable as no centre channel!
with Atmos setting off - 4k, HDR, 5.1

I have the 2TB box. Wonder why mine is HD only?

Disney+ in our house (Using the same film as reference):

Built-in app, LG C9 - 4k, HDR, Atmos
Disney app on Sky Q (2tb box) - 4k, 5.1, no HDR
AppleTV 4K - with Atmos setting on - 4k, HDR, unwatchable as no centre channel!
with Atmos setting off - 4k, HDR, 5.1

Are you sure the Sky Q Disney+ app is 4k?

Due to job changes for myself, other half has said she’s going to visit her parents with kids for a week or so in July...my immediate 1st thought was “ooo...I could sneak the Sub G3 in while they are away”....🤔

Looking at the Sonos site, the Arc surround set is OOS and cannot be added to the basket and £1856 but you can add the items separately at £1837....strange.

Looking at the Sonos site, the Arc surround set is OOS and cannot be added to the basket and £1856 but you can add the items separately at £1837....strange.

Probably to stop people using their 30% trade in discount on the bundle, it would only apply to 1 product bought separately.

Probably to stop people using their 30% trade in discount on the bundle, it would only apply to 1 product bought separately.

Really? I have a 20% NHS discount code and its taken £467 off the Arc, Sub, 2 x SLs and a Five.

Which I haven’t ordered yet, in the basket and keep chickening out.

Last edited:
Really? I have a 20% NHS discount code and its taken £467 off the Arc, Sub, 2 x SLs and a Five.

Which I haven’t ordered yet, in the basket and keep chickening out.

Yeah for each legacy product you have you get 30% off an item, a bundle counts as an item. I got the Arc full system bundle with 30% at £1299 and 2x Sonos Five bundle with another 30% off at £700.

If purchased separately you would only get 30% off each item (one Arc and one Five as an example).

Due to job changes for myself, other half has said she’s going to visit her parents with kids for a week or so in July...my immediate 1st thought was “ooo...I could sneak the Sub G3 in while they are away”....🤔

Do it mate. Be quick and enjoy as much as you can but the wife takes the sub's place once she is back lol.

The Disney+ app on my Sony XF9005 is still showing 5.1. But the Xbox One S app is showing ATMOS. :)

App on my Fire TV always shows Atmos but not getting Atmos.

1440p and bit rates hovering between 6 and 13 Mbps.

Does anyone know if the Arc will work with a Samsung KS7000? This TV has a HDMI-Arc port. If it is compatible are there any limitations?
Thanks.

Does anyone know if the Arc will work with a Samsung KS7000? This TV has a HDMI-Arc port. If it is compatible are there any limitations?
Thanks.

I had the Samsung KS8000 and the Sonos Arc attached to it for about a week.

I had to sell it and upgrade to the LG C9, as I felt the Sonos Arc bundle wasn’t worth it without Atmos, and just bog standard 5.1,

The KS8000 only passed through DD 5.1 so I can only assume the KS7000 will suffer the same limitations.

I didn’t rush out to sell it and buy a C9 in vain, I tried every forum, website and workaround I could possibly find, but alas the KS8000 / 7000 will not pass Atmos.

I had the Samsung KS8000 and the Sonos Arc attached to it for about a week.

I had to sell it and upgrade to the LG C9, as I felt the Sonos Arc bundle wasn’t worth it without Atmos, and just bog standard 5.1,

The KS8000 only passed through DD 5.1 so I can only assume the KS7000 will suffer the same limitations.

I didn’t rush out to sell it and buy a C9 in vain, I tried every forum, website and workaround I could possibly find, but alas the KS8000 / 7000 will not pass Atmos.

Scott, thanks for the reply. Well that’s hugely disappointing, because I certainly can’t afford a new tv and soundbar at the moment. Will have to do without.

wanted to ask, if tv does not have earc - no atmos, what it really means? so upward firing speakers are not used? I know it si 5.0 soundbar - 2 stereo channels, 1 central and 2 atmos upward firing? so, when no atmos support due to lacking earc, it is playing as standard 3.0?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom