Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

so is there no DTS or HD audio support...I appreciate full release hasn't been done yet

This will be good for people in the Sonos ecosystem but not so much for other people looking for an Atmos soundbar. The Playbar may have been a game changer back in 2013 but Soundbars have moved on massively since then but it doesn't seem Sonos have.

The dimensions seem to be for the play 5 not this new soundbar unfortunately

Good catch indeed, these screenshots are pulled off the Singapore website.
Other countries including my own don't show anything yet.

This will be good for people in the Sonos ecosystem but not so much for other people looking for an Atmos soundbar. The Playbar may have been a game changer back in 2013 but Soundbars have moved on massively since then but it doesn't seem Sonos have.
im sure some Sonos die-hards will get their panties in a wad about this but in truth its far from groundbreaking...and in truth, its pseudo atmos as the speakers aren't above like actual Atmos

Let's judge when the reviews come in, should we?
How can you tell this soundbar won't produce an acceptable Atmos experience?
e-ARC, HDMI 2.1 sound pretty futureproof to me.

im sure some Sonos die-hards will get their panties in a wad about this but in truth its far from groundbreaking...and in truth, its pseudo atmos as the speakers aren't above like actual Atmos

Not all of us have the luxury to have a dedicated cinema-room, or a wife that allows us to mount speakers in the ceiling. For those, a all-in-one soundbar solution that produces a Atmos like experience is a fair solution.

It has dedicated upfiring speakers which is good (it's the best solution for soundbars that do Atmos) but my issue is with it's size and it being sold as just a standalone bar where you have to cough up extra for the sub and rears, but going back to the size it seems quite puny compared to some of the big boys that are rocking about and I just don't see it being able to compete with them for outright dynamics....could be wrong ofcourse, but I'd have to get a test as SONOS is one brand who's reviews I 100% would not trust due to a general love in that people have with their products.

Let's judge when the reviews come in, should we?
How can you tell this soundbar won't produce an acceptable Atmos experience?
e-ARC, HDMI 2.1 sound pretty futureproof to me.

Not all of us have the luxury to have a designated cinema-room, or a wife that allows us to mount speakers in the ceiling. For those, a all-in-one soundbar solution that produces a Atmos like experience is a fair solution.
at least you've described it correctly "atmos like"

Wow what's with all the negativity guys...

To me it looks good, I didn't have a good experience with my Samsung surround sound to be fair...

at least you've described it correctly "atmos like"

No one will deny that a full fledged Atmos system with individual speakers will blow soundbars out of the water. But then again, i don't have a dedicated room for it, or be allowed to plant the livingroom full with speakers.

No one will deny that a full fledged Atmos system with individual speakers will blow soundbars out of the water. But then again, i don't have a dedicated room for it, or be allowed to plant the livingroom full with speakers.
no i totally accept that point

Don't want to be dampening anyone's excitement, I'm sure those of you looking forward to it will be happy with it as it's meeting some specific needs size/ecosystem/quality of audio etc. I was just making a comment more aimed at those regulars who are always keeping an eye on the latest releases that I think this particular bar will unlikely be a class leader.

Wow what's with all the negativity guys...

To me it looks good, I didn't have a good experience with my Samsung surround sound to be fair...
It’s a shame isn’t it. No matter what Sonos do you always get people saying “they should have done this they should have done that”

Let’s not forget no ones even heard one yet!

Don't want to be dampening anyone's excitement, I'm sure those of you looking forward to it will be happy with it as it's meeting some specific needs size/ecosystem/quality of audio etc. I was just making a comment more aimed at those regulars who are always keeping an eye on the latest releases that I think this particular bar will unlikely be a class leader.

Every enthousiast (perhaps not the average joe), in the market for an Atmos soundbar knows that this soundbar (or any bar setup really) wont be on par with individual speakers and a receiver.

I don't expect sound coming from the ceiling and so on, but what i do hope for is more immersion. The so called bubble effect around you. I did experience that with the Samsung Atmos bar, and hope the same happens with this Sonos one.

Also, higher codecs instead of being locked in Dolby Digital.

An interesting quote from a cached Engadget article:

Plenty of soundbars support Atmos at this point, but Sonos is doing something interesting with how the Arc responds to different audio formats. For example: if you’re watching a movie that doesn’t support Atmos, the Arc will adapt and use the upwards-firing speakers to improve bass performance. Similarly, if you’re running the Arc with the Sonos Sub, it’ll adjust accordingly and use its speakers to focus more on the mids and highs. If you’re using a pair of Sonos One speakers as your dedicated rear surround channels, the Arc’s surround drivers will be reassigned, as well.

Last edited:
Don't forget if ordering from Sonos, they normally offer 100 day in-home trial - so you can always slap it on a credit card and try it at home risk-free. That's what I'll be doing.

Don't forget if ordering from Sonos, they normally offer 100 day in-home trial - so you can always slap it on a credit card and try it at home risk-free. That's what I'll be doing.
When I was on the site last week it said 180 days ;)

Due to COVID-19.

Looks good feature-wise, but it's really long at 55 inches / 140cm. It may not fit in a lot of smaller living spaces...

What’s new with the new sub? It looks nearly the same and is the same price

Was it necessary to work with the new Soundbar with it’s new features? Only complains people had about the last one was cost...

You seem to have missed the point of Sonos completely. The sonos game was never about a single unit, but about having a modular system you can build upon and enhance.

This release ties in with S2 system release which is rumoured enahances room setups and configures sound tuning for multi speaker placement including height.

Sonos have recently released the architecture series of wall, ceiling speakers so what is not to say that you can now with S2 and Arc add multiple speakers beyind the traditional 5.1 / 7.1 systems and just like true Atmos, setup and tune as many as it makes sence in your space, based on their 3d placement

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom