Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

Josh Bear

Hi all

have the arc with a LG C7 and the fury, all working well apart from one thing. Every so often but at least once per day the LG screen goes black, the sound stays on. I have to turn the tv off and on again I get everything back and sometimesI have to move the hdmi switch selection as well.
Anyone else with the fury and arc seen this?

thanks

PineTree

I plan to replace my N950 with Sonos AR system.

How will the Arc handle DTSX, dts-hdma. Plan to use with Sony A9F and Oppo 203.

Chillie6

Distinguished Member

The Sonos Arc does not do DTS. You would need something like the Xbox to convert the DTS on the fly (unless the Oppo can do this) to something the Sonos can handle, eg Dolby Digital. :)

BigTelHols

The Sonos Arc does not do DTS. You would need something like the Xbox to convert the DTS on the fly (unless the Oppo can do this) to something the Sonos can handle, eg Dolby Digital. :)
I believe the Oppo 203 can do it but I believe it's only over optical, not sure if it ever got upgraded to allow DTS to Dolby Digital over HDMI.

lunch_box

Just pulled the trigger on the arc and sub gen 3. I used the 30% trade in discount using a couple of bridges. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about :)

N0ddie

On its own it won't do DTSX. I have a Sony 4K BR player that manages the DTSX to Dolby digital conversion.

A lot of new content though is ARC ready ie. Dolby Atmos.

Olliefreddie1

Has anyone on this thread moved from receiver and speaker package across to this?
I have a 7 year old Denon X4000 and much older B&W package (M1’s and PV1). This obviously pre-dates Dolby Atmos.
Films purchased via ITunes plus Netflix and Amazon - I listen at modest volumes unfortunately as in a semi-detached.
We have a fair bit of Sonos elsewhere in the house including a kitchen system of Beam plus Sub and they just work so well.
Tempted to go with Arc and Sub in main living room - we have a couple of spare Play 1’s we can put with them.
Question is would it be a big compromise?

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Just pulled the trigger on the arc and sub gen 3. I used the 30% trade in discount using a couple of bridges. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about :)
You wont regret it mate, if you already havent got any ones or SL's I would strongly recommend them, for me it make a world of difference using them as rears..

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Has anyone on this thread moved from receiver and speaker package across to this?
I have a 7 year old Denon X4000 and much older B&W package (M1’s and PV1). This obviously pre-dates Dolby Atmos.
Films purchased via ITunes plus Netflix and Amazon - I listen at modest volumes unfortunately as in a semi-detached.
We have a fair bit of Sonos elsewhere in the house including a kitchen system of Beam plus Sub and they just work so well.
Tempted to go with Arc and Sub in main living room - we have a couple of spare Play 1’s we can put with them.
I moved from Denon 2200W amp (Atmos capable) and sub and separate speakers to the full Arc set up and I would never go back.

The sound quality is fantastic and very bassy and LOUD, Atmos tracks sound brilliant. Also for me they are just so convenient and being wireless is a godsend. I also have other Sonos in the house so having the Arc, sub and SL's grouped with other speakers is great, walking from one room to another with multiroom music is great.

Also one day, when they eventually release up firing speakers, I can simply redeploy the SL's to other rooms.

Go for it.

lunch_box

You wont regret it mate, if you already havent got any ones or SL's I would strongly recommend them, for me it make a world of difference using them as rears..
I most certainly do :)

I have a couple of play 1’s ready to use as rears and I am getting the flexson floor stands.

only downside is the arc and sub are currently out of stock, so going to have to wait it out.

N0ddie

Home AV Direct. I think all UK distributors must have received some stock yesterday as the guy I had wall mounting the TV and running additional sockets is a Sonos "authorised dealer" and he received a number of units yesterday.

Apparently Sonos laid off half their staff which is now resulting in slower service

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Apparently Sonos laid off half their staff which is now resulting in slower service
That's surprising as you would have thought the monies us lot have shelled out on Sonos products this year alone would be enough to sustain them for a lifetime :rotfl:

TheFridge

I moved from Denon 2200W amp (Atmos capable) and sub and separate speakers to the full Arc set up and I would never go back.

The sound quality is fantastic and very bassy and LOUD, Atmos tracks sound brilliant. Also for me they are just so convenient and being wireless is a godsend. I also have other Sonos in the house so having the Arc, sub and SL's grouped with other speakers is great, walking from one room to another with multiroom music is great.

Also one day, when they eventually release up firing speakers, I can simply redeploy the SL's to other rooms.

Go for it.
I like this ans as I have yet to pull the trigger on mine .

Hughesy75

On its own it won't do DTSX. I have a Sony 4K BR player that manages the DTSX to Dolby digital conversion.

A lot of new content though is ARC ready ie. Dolby Atmos.
Which model is the Blu Ray player Bud ?
I’d been waiting on the lpcm update before buying one.
But if your Sony converts DTS, that would be ideal. 👍

fandibus

Which model is the Blu Ray player Bud ?
I’d been waiting on the lpcm update before buying one.
But if your Sony converts DTS, that would be ideal. 👍
With conversion you will lose the object based metadata with dtsX. It’s converting the core and you’re getting lossy Dolby digital.

briinthesky

Standard Member
Hi
I agree with Mudshark and am an ex amp and speakers man.
I have been with a Soundbar for a while now firstly a Yamaha and now the ARC
It is way better than anything else I have had.
you can have it belting out with no effort but it can also be subtle if you need to think about neighbours! I find there is some volume difference in terrestrial TV but Netflix, Disney, Amazon are really good, then switch to 4k and full fat Atmos is awesome!
the only downside is the lack of DTS support but there are ways around it, but it involves other kit.

jouster

I think if you go into with an open mind you'd be pleasantly surprised.

A pseudo surround round setup will never be “quite as” good as a full separate speaker setup but in truth Sonos isn’t trying to be better. It’s aimed at this who want great sound, less cables and a mixture of great usability and the ability to have a single system around the whole home.

The beauty is, if you order from Sonos directI believe you have 100 days to return (that may have changed now of course)

Hughesy75

With conversion you will lose the object based metadata with dtsX. It’s converting the core and you’re getting lossy Dolby digital.
Got ya. Thank you Bud.
To be fair. The lack of DTS support hasn’t been an issue. The standard blu Ray player is still sat gathering dust. Lol.
So I can continue waiting for the Sonos update.🙂

BigTelHols

Sonos have only released a handful of soundbars, Playbar, Playbase, Beam and Arc over approx. 8 years and none have ever supported DTS. Sonos have stated they are all about streaming, hence the Arc being the first device to support a codec higher than Dolby Digital (Dolby Atmos ;) ). If physical media is important to you, you have a choice, buy something else or use a device that can convert DTS to Dolby Digital (Xbox One S/X does, new consoles may).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett