Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

Opinion noted! Ill give sonos a call. Thanks

If you have the options in your room for different sub placement positions.
Might be worth trying the Sub crawl. Google it lol.
Basically place the sub at your Main listening position. Play something bass heavy. Poss a test tone. Then walk crawl round the room. Places where you feel it most is supposedly the optimum placement position.

check out the Peter Pee vids as well on YouTube. Does one regarding sub orientation to show measured results when sub is vertical, horizontal, open faced etc

But I’d deffo get it replaced as others have suggested, if only to rule it out.

Good luck Bud. Room layout is so subjective.
I’ve tweaked my settings too many times to mention now. Even just based on source material.

Same as you sent first one back for same underwhelming reason. Second is the same but have found a better location against a wall and on +5. It has to be driven relatively hard to shake the room. Most of the time I just watch tv at normal household volumes and find while it doesn’t do much work bass wise it makes the ARC and or Beam sound cleaner.
Yep, this is how it is for me.

If you have the options in your room for different sub placement positions.
Might be worth trying the Sub crawl. Google it lol.
Basically place the sub at your Main listening position. Play something bass heavy. Poss a test tone. Then walk crawl round the room. Places where you feel it most is supposedly the optimum placement position.

check out the Peter Pee vids as well on YouTube. Does one regarding sub orientation to show measured results when sub is vertical, horizontal, open faced etc

But I’d deffo get it replaced as others have suggested, if only to rule it out.

Good luck Bud. Room layout is so subjective.
I’ve tweaked my settings too many times to mention now. Even just based on source material.
Thanks, Ive seen the crawl! and think Peter Pees vids are great. It might just be most people dont have 5’s which are great as surrounds and dont let anyone tell you they are overkill:)

Thanks, Ive seen the crawl! and think Peter Pees vids are great. It might just be most people dont have 5’s which are great as surrounds and dont let anyone tell you they are overkill:)
It could be that the addition of sub to Arc and Fives is of little benefit. The Fives go nearly as low. So if Sonos have factored that into the previous crossover points your benefit of the Sub could be marginal. If you cannot get the satisfaction of a real thump spend the money elsewhere.

Same as you sent first one back for same underwhelming reason. Second is the same but have found a better location against a wall and on +5. It has to be driven relatively hard to shake the room. Most of the time I just watch tv at normal household volumes and find while it doesn’t do much work bass wise it makes the ARC and or Beam sound cleaner.
Have tried putting my hand between the twin woofers, cant feel any air disturbance as such but can feel the cones moving. I know my sub is working as it rattles the windows with some content. The reason you probably can’t feel air moving between the woofers is probably this (taken from the Sonos site)
No buzz, just bass
Sonos Sub features two force-canceling drivers at the center to eliminate vibration and rattle
:)

Same here, the sub is a nice addition, but some hyped it up on here I feel. To me it's not worth the price considering the ARC itself is only a little more in value.
I am pleased I got it still though.

Whereas mudshark says at plus 5 it sounds like an earthquake...which makes me think mine just aint right. Mines at plus 5 barely hear it.

On the flip side, mines on -4 level and bass -2 and it does rumble a hell of a lot if the content dictates. So make of that what you will, I wouldn't want mine on 0. So my room must be acoustically enhancing the low frequency.

Same here, the sub is a nice addition, but some hyped it up on here I feel. To me it's not worth the price considering the ARC itself is only a little more in value.
I am pleased I got it still though.
Certainly in my system with the one SL as surrounds the sub makes a hell of a difference. Most of ordinary tv is just plain 2.0 stereo so the sub isn’t doing a lot. Feed it a good 5.1 source and it’s contribution is quite noticeable. I’ve turned the sub off and I really noticed the lack of bass. Then again my room is only 12’ x 12’ so perhaps that makes a difference. :)

On the flip side, mines on -4 level and bass -2 and it does rumble a hell of a lot if the content dictates. So make of that what you will, I wouldn't want mine on 0. So my room must be acoustically enhancing the low frequency.

Me too Bud
My living room is totally contained, and the perfect shape bar a bay window to one side. Over time, I’ve also had to rein the bass in on the equaliser and sub (Both -3) due to it sounding boomy with deeper voices or some sources.
When I first added the sub, the wife said she couldn’t hear it lol.
Had already optimised it to -3 for our room.
Only had to put it up to 10 to prove the point, and that was chest pounding bass. 😂
So its deffo subjective to layout and listener preference. And Truplay could well be a factor with room shape / size.

Mines @ +5 as it’s the point at which I hear it make a difference, which is exactly the same as the one I returned.
It seems to have a very narrow response band/crossover? with other components so feels like it’s not doing that much work.
It’s quite a small room with carpets & furniture near by so maybe absorbs more than say a larger had floor room with more exposed walls?.

Whereas mudshark says at plus 5 it sounds like an earthquake...which makes me think mine just aint right. Mines at plus 5 barely hear it.

I’ve had the Arc since release day, am more than happy but have only just started viewing this thread :facepalm: Rather than read through all 199 pages of this thread, as I’m sure the question my question will have been asked before, how can I get full lossless Atmos sound to play on the Arc if my TV (LG65C7) only has an ARC output and not EARC ? I had considered replacing the C7 with the CX as this would then also give me Apple TV but is there another solution I should be looking at rather than going to such expense ? Thank you 😊

I’ve had the Arc since release day, am more than happy but have only just started viewing this thread :facepalm: Rather than read through all 199 pages of this thread, as I’m sure the question my question will have been asked before, how can I get full lossless Atmos sound to play on the Arc if my TV (LG65C7) only has an ARC output and not EARC ? I had considered replacing the C7 with the CX as this would then also give me Apple TV but is there another solution I should be looking at rather than going to such expense ? Thank you 😊

you can only get “full fat” lossless from a Blu-ray Disc, everything else is lossy. You need either a tv with eArc or else the HD Fury Arcana.

you can only get “full fat” lossless from a Blu-ray Disc, everything else is lossy. You need either a tv with eArc or else the HD Fury Arcana.
Thank you very much for the information flashf :smashin: I did see the HD Fury mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread but wasn’t sure if it was available in the UK yet so will take a proper look. I was optimistically hoping that a set-top box was available that would give me both access to Apple TV and an EARC output solving both my problems in one but it seems not. Anyhow, thanks again :)

Thank you very much for the information flashf :smashin: I did see the HD Fury mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread but wasn’t sure if it was available in the UK yet so will take a proper look. I was optimistically hoping that a set-top box was available that would give me both access to Apple TV and an EARC output solving both my problems in one but it seems not. Anyhow, thanks again :)

Yes there is an EU section when ordering, if that still applies to the UK :D! I'm in Ireland, ordered a few weeks ago for €155 - early reactions on reddit are very positive.

Yes there is an EU section when ordering, if that still applies to the UK :D! I'm in Ireland, ordered a few weeks ago for €155 - early reactions on reddit are very positive.
Just ordered from the EU site for delivery sometime in October but they’re now 175 Euros !

Just ordered from the EU site for delivery sometime in October but they’re now 175 Euros !
Don’t forget this will only give you eArc functionality on ONE device, ie. your Apple TV, so if you have a blu-ray player, you would need a hdmi switcher if you wanted Dolby true HD or Atmos on your blu-rays.

Very interested how this turns out for people as I would be in, if it does what it's supposed to do. Interested how a HDMI switch works to get all my devices with some Atmos action? Do these things auto switch or do I have to make sure my firestick is off to play xbox etc?

Cheers :)

Very interested how this turns out for people as I would be in, if it does what it's supposed to do. Interested how a HDMI switch works to get all my devices with some Atmos action? Do these things auto switch or do I have to make sure my firestick is off to play xbox etc?

Switchers can be a real mix, and it sometimes depends on device - so for example Apple TV is reported to show as 'always on' so an auto switcher doesn't work well with it [PS4 the same too I heard]. You also need one that supports your max output - so the first I bought couldn't handle 4k60 - just 4k30. Fortunately Amazon returns was good and I got another one easily.

Not been using mine heavily yet so not sure how good it really is. Remote is a nasty little small thing with crap buttons so am hoping the auto-switching will work.

Don’t forget this will only give you eArc functionality on ONE device, ie. your Apple TV, so if you have a blu-ray player, you would need a hdmi switcher if you wanted Dolby true HD or Atmos on your blu-rays.
Thanks again flashf1, I’m aware of that :smashin: However, there is one thing that I’m confused about with regard to the HD Fury Arcana ! If I’ve read things correctly, the Arcana takes the ARC audio feed from whichever device is connected to it and then fools the Sonos Arc into recognising the audio to be from an EARC connection and thus allowing full Atmos lossless ?! My understanding is that an ARC connection doesn’t have sufficient bandwidth to send full Atmos lossless audio in the first place and so where is the HD Fury getting the lossless audio from to send to the Arc ?

Last edited:

Not sure how the switchers work, check out the hd fury website, they sell them

Thanks again flashf1, I’m aware of that :smashin: However, there is one thing that I’m confused about with regard to the HD Fury Arcana ! If I’ve read things correctly, the Arcana takes the ARC audio feed from whichever device is connected to it and then fools the Sonos Arc into recognising the audio to be from an EARC connection and thus allowing full Atmos lossless ?! My understanding is that an ARC connection doesn’t have sufficient bandwidth to send full Atmos lossless audio in the first place and so where is the HD Fury getting the lossless audio from to send to the Arc ?
I think you are confusing the bandwidth capability of an HDMI connection with HDMI ARC. When HDMI is used as ARC it needs to be eARC.

Confusing when we’re talking about ARC, eARC, Arcana, and Sonos Arc!! Your full fat lossless Atmos via Dolby Digital True HD is ONLY coming from a blu-ray disc/player (or rip), passing through your tv, then through the Arcana, and into the Sonos Arc, where it will be conveyed in all
It’s lossless glory.

Not 100% sure I’m answering what you’re asking?!

Confusing when we’re talking about ARC, eARC, Arcana, and Sonos Arc!! Your full fat lossless Atmos via Dolby Digital True HD is ONLY coming from a blu-ray disc/player (or rip), passing through your tv, then through the Arcana, and into the Sonos Arc, where it will be conveyed in all
It’s lossless glory.

Not 100% sure I’m answering what you’re asking?!
At my peril I shall butt in. The point of the device is surely to avoid passing the signal through the tv as the tv may not have eARC. So the composite signal is generated by the blu-ray player and passed to Arcana which which splits off the audio to the Arc as if by eARC and send the video to the tv. I say at my peril as I have only casually been following this as it is not applicable to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom