Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

jmacc

Distinguished Member
How do you find Kodi Works on the XG95 ?
Currently loaded on my fire tv box, which is the only thing I use it for now I have the Apple 4k TV box for streaming apps.
But if the Sony streams and processes fast enough, I may well look to transfer it on to there instead.
try MrMC app for atv4k. basically a kodi fork from ex kodi staff.
there is also infuse 6, both play any file you chuck at them. :)

slliw

Pair of SLs turned up today, paired them both (without trueplay) whilst listening to Spitfy and wow oh wow. One brilliant feature is you can make a Sonos playlist from different music sources so now I've got songs off Youtube music and music off Spotify under one single playlist. Just ordered the Flexson stand off Amazon.

Again wow oh wow. Roll on the Arc and the Sub

Tim7

I was comparing the sound on the football last night. Using normal Sky HD channel for 5.1 and then switching to UHD and Atmos. Even with the fake crowd noise you can tell the soundstage is bigger and better with Atmos 👍🏻.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I was comparing the sound on the football last night. Using normal Sky HD channel for 5.1 and then switching to UHD and Atmos. Even with the fake crowd noise you can tell the soundstage is bigger and better with Atmos 👍🏻.
It always has been different even when forcing DD+ to tv and playing down sampled audio to Beam as 5.1.

killie77

Hi
Have 2 Sonos 5s running as a Stereo pair. I’ve ordered the Sonos Arc direct from Sonos, due to back orders won’t be shipping till around 25 th of this month. I haven’t heard the Arc just going on reviews etc. But I’m wondering if I should sell the 5s and use the Arc for music as well as TV. Or would the 5s be a better bet in stereo for stand alone Music ?
Thanks for any teplies
Ian

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Hi
Have 2 Sonos 5s running as a Stereo pair. I’ve ordered the Sonos Arc direct from Sonos, due to back orders won’t be shipping till around 25 th of this month. I haven’t heard the Arc just going on reviews etc. But I’m wondering if I should sell the 5s and use the Arc for music as well as TV. Or would the 5s be a better bet in stereo for stand alone Music ?
Thanks for any teplies
Ian
I would suggest keeping the 5s, you can use them as surrounds with the arc and also to supplement the music.:thumbsup:

Ains

Hi
Thanks for any teplies
Ian
I've got both setups and I definitely wouldn't get rid of the 5's to just use the Arc. Anyone with a stereo pair of 5's probably takes music pretty seriously and the smaller soundstage alone would be a let down after a couple of well-positioned 5's.

Riverwilliam123

Standard Member
Currently have a Sonos beam and 2 x One SL at the rear abs to be honest I'm not overly impressed. I was thinking if sending them back under Amazon's 30 days return policy and swap them for a arc (no surrounds or sub for the time being). Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Maybe I'm just too fussy but the beam really didn't wow me, in fact I was more impressed with my Edifier S1000DB powered speakers, especially for music.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Currently have a Sonos beam and 2 x One SL at the rear abs to be honest I'm not overly impressed. I was thinking if sending them back under Amazon's 30 days return policy and swap them for a arc (no surrounds or sub for the time being). Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Maybe I'm just too fussy but the beam really didn't wow me, in fact I was more impressed with my Edifier S1000DB powered speakers, especially for music.
Although I have not listened to a lone Arc I suspect I would prefer a Beam and surrounds which I did run before slipping in the Arc. If you are not impressed by your existing for music then I would not recommend a stand-alone Arc for music. If I was heavily into music I would be trying a sub. The Arc does not impress me for music.

Riverwilliam123

Standard Member
Although I have not listened to a lone Arc I suspect I would prefer a Beam and surrounds which I did run before slipping in the Arc. If you are not impressed by your existing for music then I would not recommend a stand-alone Arc for music. If I was heavily into music I would be trying a sub. The Arc does not impress me for music.
Thank you for your reply. Yeah I actually prioritise music over the TV so sounds like it wouldn't be the best option. Might go for a Dali soundbar or save up for the B&O stage instead. I have been slightly underwhelmed by Sonos and probably not for me so I'll give the arc a miss. Thanks again

Tim7

So on the Loudness option, I usually listen at reasonably high volume, so would I be best having loudness to off?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
That’s what I thought was normal but now it’s silent and I thought I was losing my mind.
The past few days when I turn everything on the Arc is at previous session volume. It’s a bit like getting into the car after a high speed motorway radio session. It seems loud. I am not aware of making any changes. One of life’s mysteries.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
So on the Loudness option, I usually listen at reasonably high volume, so would I be best having loudness to off?
Does not matter really, the loudness setting drops off after a certain volume apparently, so it would make no difference, if you do happen to listen at lower volumes the loudness setting will have more effect, so you have “best of both”.
I find with it off, low volume listening can sound a little flat, I prefer a little more punch and depth the setting seems to bring.

Tim7

Yes had a test tonight and definitely prefer with loudness on. Totally agree about lower volume sounding flat!

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
The acoustics of our room mean Loudness with the sub just has too much oomph. I have to lower bass and sub level even further, then as you turn the volume up the sub doesn't seem to come alive as much. So unfortunately doesn't work for me.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Anyone know what a solid green light on sub gen 3 means, I might have knocked the button when cleaning it but it didn’t go off so I turned it off/on at mains and it booted up as normal and no lights are displayed, so all good.

Just unsure what solid green may have signified, I know on the ARC it means it’s muted.

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Anyone know what a solid green light on sub gen 3 means, I might have knocked the button when cleaning it but it didn’t go off so I turned it off/on at mains and it booted up as normal and no lights are displayed, so all good.

Just unsure what solid green may have signified, I know on the ARC it means it’s muted.
Same goes for the other speakers, it just means it’s muted. All mine go to green when I switch the tv and sky off .:)

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Hi
Thanks for any teplies
Ian
Nooooo, dont do that, 2 x Fives are 1 billion % better than the Arc for music.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips TVs available in more Currys PC World stores
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sonus faber announces Il Cremonese ex3me special edition speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF unveils LS50 Meta speaker and S2 Floor Stand
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces LS50 Wireless II speakers