Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Do it. You’ll regret not doing so, the Arc is good for bass but the subwoofer takes it to another level. :thumbsup:
Looking forward to getting my sub now, had my ARC a few weeks now, not really put it to test yet, need to watch something in the daytime really so I can turn it up a bit.

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to getting my sub now, had my ARC a few weeks now, not really put it to test yet, need to watch something in the daytime really so I can turn it up a bit.
If you have 4K Netflix, then I recommend 6 Underground for a test drive. Not a great film but the picture and sound are reference quality. :)

jmacc

Distinguished Member
Joking apart the surrounds do add so much to produce that immersive sound. I’m glad I went for the whole package. :)
it's all about the wife approval mate :rotfl:
I'm going to try and make the rears as non intrusive as possible.. trade off is they no doubt won't be in the very best position for sound.. but a compromise.
Got one of these arriving today so I can see what they are like and can they be modified a little to sit on the shelf above couch, pointing down to me a little.

Hoping to mod them so wire comes straight out the bottom then through a hole in the shelf then down behind plasterboard.

They swivel up and down 10° so I'm hoping it will help a bit, better than facing straight forward I guess.

sound-4113-b_l_2-large.jpg

91OkfshXe7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71H5TuhNI+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
I'm going to try and make the rears as non intrusive as possible.. trade off is they no doubt won't be in the very best position for sound.. but a compromise.
Got one of these arriving today so I can see what they are like and can they be modified a little to sit on the shelf above couch, pointing down to me a little.

Hoping to mod them so wire comes straight out the bottom then through a hole in the shelf then down behind plasterboard.

They swivel up and down 10° so I'm hoping it will help a bit, better than facing straight forward I guess.

View attachment 1343932
View attachment 1343934View attachment 1343933
Mine replaced an existing 5.1 system, so I already had rear speakers. I have mine slightly toed in so they cross just in front of my listening position. :)

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Mine replaced an existing 5.1 system, so I already had rear speakers. I have mine slightly toed in so they cross just in front of my listening position. :)
When I originally got the Beam on its own, it replaced a 1 box Samsung 5.1 system where the rears would intermittently disconnect without me knowing. Such a breath of fresh air having a system that, well it just works and sounds great.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
When I originally got the Beam on its own, it replaced a 1 box Samsung 5.1 system where the rears would intermittently disconnect without me knowing. Such a breath of fresh air having a system that, well it just works and sounds great.
They must have been pretty crap speakers if you didn't realise they were off :rotfl:

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
They must have been pretty crap speakers if you didn't realise they were off :rotfl:
Hey, I had the Beam, Ones and Sub and watched 85% of Thor before realising the sub wasn't working, but the system thought it was still attached...so I had no frequencies from about 90hz and below :blush:

Regtastical

Standard Member
To me, this the beauty of Sonos in general.

It just works.

And thats why I recommend Sonos to family, so I'm not their technical support for crappy AV products :rotfl:

Mr X

Distinguished Member
I ain’t buying another bloody sub....

or should I 🤔😀
Exactly what I said when I first got one.

I have 3 now.

View attachment 1343932
View attachment 1343934View attachment 1343933
I had flexion stands in one of my rooms but ended up going for in-ceilings from their Architectural range. It does cost a bit more as you also need to run a Sonos Amp but can't get more discreet.
When you walk into our lounge all you see is the Arc as the Sub, Amp and rears are all hidden.

jmacc

Distinguished Member

I have 3 now.

I had flexion stands in one of my rooms but ended up going for in-ceilings from their Architectural range. It does cost a bit more as you also need to run a Sonos Amp but can't get more discreet.
When you walk into our lounge all you see is the Arc as the Sub, Amp and rears are all hidden.
I not long ago removed 2 atmos speakers from my ceiling (along with 5 speakers dotted about the living rm), plastered and painted, part of the minimalist living rm makeover. :D

mudshark

Distinguished Member

I have 3 now.

All you see when you walk into my lounge is fudgein Sonos speakers :-D

bobbytoad

Well what a week... Arc box now in attic! But boy what a journey
Her : there’s a DPD van outside our house
Me : oh really (thinking oh s#@t)
Her: wow the neighbour has a huge parcel
Me : thinking...he better not deliver next door
Driver turns to our drive and I can feel the look of death, open door thanks mate retreat indoors, leaving box vertically in the hall
Her: what the heck have you ordered now (language edited)
Me: oh it’s a Sonos I ordered ages ago ...
Her : Where on earth is tat going to go there’s no more room for Sonos
Me: (thinking... there’s always more room for Sonos) Oh it’s for the lounge
Her: you’ve already got two of those behind the sofa (cos we all know ones come glued to preassembled stands)
Me : erm it doesn’t go that way around it goes sideways... it’s probably full of packaging (thinking I may not be able to get away with swapping out the black beam for a white Arc without her noticing)
Each retreats in anticipation of round 2... the great unveil

Me not a really eager unboxing ... it is flipping huge and very white
Have a chance to compare side by side with a Five with this Black Sands Remixed (Bonus Track Version) by Bonobo some complicated electronic arrangement and bass
Quite interesting bass comparisons, imo arc isn’t too far behind certainly on this type of music.

Set up and it’s still huge and white under the tv
Her: that thing is so ugly what’s wrong with you the black one was so much more attractive and designed that thing is hideous
Me: Thinking fair point, trying to change the subject ... I’m only trying it out will probably send it back
Her: great I’ll help you pack it back up...
Me I’ll do it in the morning

Next morning
Her: it’s so ugly I’ve tried to hide it behind stuff
Me: lucky I wasn’t there to see that I may just have weed myself a little watching
Her : so when yo sending it back
Me: I’m busy change subject .... this is going to be a war of attrition

Several decreasing reminders to send it back until Sunday morning and surrender

Her: I’ll give you a hand to put the box in the loft
Me: which box... (thinking that wasn’t half as bad as I had imagined)
Her: the Sonos thing
Me: Sure I’ll bring it up 😀👍

Had it not been for the trade up discount I’d have stuck with the Beam Because it’s so good, but really Enjoying the wider soundstage now.

mudshark

Distinguished Member

OK, I lied to Sonos about having the Fives in stereo pairs but you never know, I may have started something :thumbsup:

Perhaps you could all add your weight by replying to the thread.

tom 2000

Well what a week... Arc box now in attic! But boy what a journey
Her : there’s a DPD van outside our house
Me : oh really (thinking oh s#@t)
Her: wow the neighbour has a huge parcel
Me : thinking...he better not deliver next door
Driver turns to our drive and I can feel the look of death, open door thanks mate retreat indoors, leaving box vertically in the hall
Her: what the heck have you ordered now (language edited)
Me: oh it’s a Sonos I ordered ages ago ...
Her : Where on earth is tat going to go there’s no more room for Sonos
Me: (thinking... there’s always more room for Sonos) Oh it’s for the lounge
Her: you’ve already got two of those behind the sofa (cos we all know ones come glued to preassembled stands)
Me : erm it doesn’t go that way around it goes sideways... it’s probably full of packaging (thinking I may not be able to get away with swapping out the black beam for a white Arc without her noticing)
Each retreats in anticipation of round 2... the great unveil

Me not a really eager unboxing ... it is flipping huge and very white
Have a chance to compare side by side with a Five with this Black Sands Remixed (Bonus Track Version) by Bonobo some complicated electronic arrangement and bass
Quite interesting bass comparisons, imo arc isn’t too far behind certainly on this type of music.

Set up and it’s still huge and white under the tv
Her: that thing is so ugly what’s wrong with you the black one was so much more attractive and designed that thing is hideous
Me: Thinking fair point, trying to change the subject ... I’m only trying it out will probably send it back
Her: great I’ll help you pack it back up...
Me I’ll do it in the morning

Next morning
Her: it’s so ugly I’ve tried to hide it behind stuff
Me: lucky I wasn’t there to see that I may just have weed myself a little watching
Her : so when yo sending it back
Me: I’m busy change subject .... this is going to be a war of attrition

Several decreasing reminders to send it back until Sunday morning and surrender

Her: I’ll give you a hand to put the box in the loft
Me: which box... (thinking that wasn’t half as bad as I had imagined)
Her: the Sonos thing
Me: Sure I’ll bring it up 😀👍

Had it not been for the trade up discount I’d have stuck with the Beam Because it’s so good, but really Enjoying the wider soundstage now.
You knew you were there when she tried to hide it behind stuff. In all honesty I thought the Arc was a bit obvious in the room. Not helped by having it 6 plus inches in front of tv in a vain attempt to get the IR repeater to work. It was never centred with tv unless viewing straight on. So although platinum and diamonds swung it for me closing the gap between Arc and tv did no harm at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Latest News

McIntosh and Sonus faber unite under Fine Sounds Distribution in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches 4349 Studio Monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display next generation OLEDs showcased at SID 2020
  • By Andy Bassett