Sonos Arc - 5.0.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar

lgans316

Distinguished Member

I am not sure why rtings didn't test with subwoofer and rear speakers which are required for a 360 home cinema experience.

The lowest frequency is 54 Hz for the soundbar alone. This is not too shabby but far off from the expected sweet spot of 25 Hz - 35 Hz that is recommended for movies which can easily be achieved by adding the sub..

SmAShY

I am not sure why rtings didn't test with subwoofer and rear speakers which are required for a 360 home cinema experience.

The lowest frequency is 54 Hz for the soundbar alone. This is not too shabby but far off from the expected sweet spot of 25 Hz - 35 Hz that is recommended for movies which can easily be achieved by adding the sub..
I suppose their arguement would be that they have tested one product, not several?

Ekotto

Many people - I'd imagine the vast marjority? - probably can't or won't go the whole hog. Some folk will want a single solution, some won't be able to afford the best part of £2k, some folk will be wondering how it compare to the Beam etc.

But yeah, hopefully they do the full system test too soon, I for one am super curious about that as I can't decide whether to stick or twist on Sonos, just yet.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I suppose their arguement would be that they have tested one product, not several?
Yeah, do get that. Hoping they do a review with the sub + rears as it could bump up the scores by at least 2 points.

CLH

So....as far as I can tell.....My Sony XG will do atmos from native apps but also Sky Q on hdmi 1.

Disney plus
Atv is 4k HDR but 5.1
Sky Q is HD but DD plus
PS4 is ??? Picture and 5.1
Internal TV app 4k HDR but 5.1 (by contrast Internal Netflix does atmos)

Last edited:

Ains

Disney+ in our house (Using the same film as reference):

Built-in app, LG C9 - 4k, HDR, Atmos
Disney app on Sky Q (2tb box) - 4k, 5.1, no HDR
AppleTV 4K - with Atmos setting on - 4k, HDR, unwatchable as no centre channel!
with Atmos setting off - 4k, HDR, 5.1

SmAShY

Disney+ in our house (Using the same film as reference):

Built-in app, LG C9 - 4k, HDR, Atmos
Disney app on Sky Q (2tb box) - 4k, 5.1, no HDR
AppleTV 4K - with Atmos setting on - 4k, HDR, unwatchable as no centre channel!
with Atmos setting off - 4k, HDR, 5.1
Are you sure the Sky Q Disney+ app is 4k?

Stretchy

Due to job changes for myself, other half has said she’s going to visit her parents with kids for a week or so in July...my immediate 1st thought was “ooo...I could sneak the Sub G3 in while they are away”....🤔

mudshark

Looking at the Sonos site, the Arc surround set is OOS and cannot be added to the basket and £1856 but you can add the items separately at £1837....strange.

dave77

Looking at the Sonos site, the Arc surround set is OOS and cannot be added to the basket and £1856 but you can add the items separately at £1837....strange.
Probably to stop people using their 30% trade in discount on the bundle, it would only apply to 1 product bought separately.

mudshark

Probably to stop people using their 30% trade in discount on the bundle, it would only apply to 1 product bought separately.
Really? I have a 20% NHS discount code and its taken £467 off the Arc, Sub, 2 x SLs and a Five.

Which I haven’t ordered yet, in the basket and keep chickening out.

Last edited:
Really? I have a 20% NHS discount code and its taken £467 off the Arc, Sub, 2 x SLs and a Five.

Which I haven’t ordered yet, in the basket and keep chickening out.
Yeah for each legacy product you have you get 30% off an item, a bundle counts as an item. I got the Arc full system bundle with 30% at £1299 and 2x Sonos Five bundle with another 30% off at £700.

If purchased separately you would only get 30% off each item (one Arc and one Five as an example).

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Due to job changes for myself, other half has said she’s going to visit her parents with kids for a week or so in July...my immediate 1st thought was “ooo...I could sneak the Sub G3 in while they are away”....🤔
Do it mate. Be quick and enjoy as much as you can but the wife takes the sub's place once she is back lol.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The Disney+ app on my Sony XF9005 is still showing 5.1. But the Xbox One S app is showing ATMOS. :)
App on my Fire TV always shows Atmos but not getting Atmos.

1440p and bit rates hovering between 6 and 13 Mbps.

Nels5320

Standard Member
Does anyone know if the Arc will work with a Samsung KS7000? This TV has a HDMI-Arc port. If it is compatible are there any limitations?
Thanks.

Scott28

Does anyone know if the Arc will work with a Samsung KS7000? This TV has a HDMI-Arc port. If it is compatible are there any limitations?
Thanks.
I had the Samsung KS8000 and the Sonos Arc attached to it for about a week.

I had to sell it and upgrade to the LG C9, as I felt the Sonos Arc bundle wasn’t worth it without Atmos, and just bog standard 5.1,

The KS8000 only passed through DD 5.1 so I can only assume the KS7000 will suffer the same limitations.

I didn’t rush out to sell it and buy a C9 in vain, I tried every forum, website and workaround I could possibly find, but alas the KS8000 / 7000 will not pass Atmos.

Nels5320

Standard Member
I had the Samsung KS8000 and the Sonos Arc attached to it for about a week.

I had to sell it and upgrade to the LG C9, as I felt the Sonos Arc bundle wasn’t worth it without Atmos, and just bog standard 5.1,

The KS8000 only passed through DD 5.1 so I can only assume the KS7000 will suffer the same limitations.

I didn’t rush out to sell it and buy a C9 in vain, I tried every forum, website and workaround I could possibly find, but alas the KS8000 / 7000 will not pass Atmos.
Scott, thanks for the reply. Well that’s hugely disappointing, because I certainly can’t afford a new tv and soundbar at the moment. Will have to do without.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299