• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Sonos Amp

ChRads

Novice Member
Hey guys, curious to hear some opinions on a setup that I am putting together.

I am planning on using the new Sonos Amp in a few zones to decrease the amount of wiring heading back to my main setup.

The sonos amp runs at 125 W per channel at 8 ohms. They also say running speakers in parallel is acceptable if they are 8 ohms each, so as to keep the circuit at or above 4 ohms.

For one of the zones I was planning to use 2 pairs wired in parallel however there specs are:

10-100W per channel/rated 4 to 8 ohms
50W IEC continuous power
handling; rated 6 ohms

Do you think that the 3 ohm load (6*1/2 since ran in parallel) is going to be too small for the amp to handle? If I am not to aggressive with the volume do you think I can avoid clipping?

Last edited:

Dunners

Established Member
Sonos have claimed that the new Amp can actually run 3 pairs of speakers... but being Sonos they are light on actual specs. The 3 x speakers they are talking about may be 16ohms... who knows? If they put 3 x pairs of speakers on the Amp and they're 8ohms (nominal) but drop to 3.5 ohms or similar - then overheating the new Amp may be a real issue.
Interesting to see the plastic construction of the new Amp, it won't work like a heatsink like the previous aluminium iteration, so hopefully it doesn't melt!

If only Sonos would supply a 8ohm / 20Hz-20kHz @ 0.06%THD (or similar) spec so people could have a better idea what they're dealing with?

ChRads

Novice Member
So I just looked up information on the new Sonance/Sonos in ceiling speakers which they said the new Amp could power 3 pairs.

• frequency response: 44-20,000 Hz
  • 8-ohm nominal impedance
  • sensitivity: 89 dB
  • maximum power handling: 130 watts
8/3 would be less impedence than my proposed setup so I am thinking I should be in the clear.

Now I need to listen to these new Sonance speakers and decide whether the trueplay equalizer capabilities would be better overall than my initial plan.

Anyone have an opinion on Sonos Trueplay and how much it would improve sound in a large living room?

Dunners

Established Member
TruePlay seems to be down the bottom of the scale when it comes to room correction (it's up against Auddysey, YPAO, MCAAC, Dirac, ARC etc)... but if you have an iPhone / iPad it would most likely be better than nothing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom