• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sjackson

Prominent Member
Is anyone running the Sonos Amp and non-Solance ceiling speakers?

I'm pondering going with an in-ceiling setup for our new kitchen. I have 4 x Monitor Audio CT265-IDC's which I could use to keep the cost down. My guess is that I'd also need a sub of some sort to complement the ceiling speakers. The room itself will be 4m x 7.5m.

I find the price of the Solance speakers astronomic so would prefer to use what I have unless there's a massive benefit.

(Perhaps the amp can't even handle these speakers - 6ohms)

Last edited:

jamieu

Prominent Member
Is anyone running the Sonos Amp and non-Solance ceiling speakers?

I'm pondering going with an in-ceiling setup for our new kitchen. I have 4 x Monitor Audio CT265-IDC's which I could use to keep the cost down. My guess is that I'd also need a sub of some sort to complement the ceiling speakers. The room itself will be 4m x 7.5m.

I find the price of the Solance speakers astronomic so would prefer to use what I have unless there's a massive benefit.

(Perhaps the amp can't even handle these speakers - 6ohms)

Not with ceiling speakers, but I have used a Sonos Amp to power a pair of outdoor speakers and it worked fine. No need to use Sonanace speakers with the Sonos amp, it's simply a marketing agreement between the two companies.

A sub will certainly help with the ceiling speakers, for a kitchen there's no point in going overboard, something like an XLS200 or XLS400 from BK would likely be fine to give you a bit more low end.

You don't need to go with the Sonos sub as the Amp has a standard RCA sub output. The biggest issue is probably finding a sub that can be hidden / disappears in your kitchen.

If you using Sonos elsewhere run the house I'd stick with it for the kitchen. But if you're not yet wedded to Sonos and looking to add music to other rooms as well you might want to take a look at going a slightly more DIY route. Although the Sonos route will obviously be by far the simplest to setup.

Last edited:

sjackson

Prominent Member
Had not seen any of that before but I'm certainly reading up on it. The current Sonos 30% trade in offer is attractive - buy a used device off eBay and trade it against expensive kit.

I'm in IT so I should be able to manage those more DIY solutions. Not sure if I have the appetite to fiddle with this though. Sonos would probably just work and Spotify is our music supplier of choice.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom